Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR

I've been in the RC hobby for years and am getting interested in the scaler/crawler side of things. My son has taken a liking to the ECX Barrage that we bought as a "try out" rig and now I want to a larger and better quality vehicle.

My goal is to build a good quality vehicle with the best value (not always cheapest) in mind. I would like to get the most bang for my buck in best parts and options.

In looking at the SCX10 ii lineup, the ones that interest me are:

Raw Builders Kit $199.99 (Pros: Total customization, Cons: plastic shocks)
Cherokee Kit $299.99 (Pros: Best value of features and parts in one package & would purchase better electronics from the start, Cons: ? are there any?)
Cherokee RTR $369.99 (Pros: Cheap & turnkey, Cons: Cheap & lacking tranny features that the two above have)

All seem to have pros and cons but I'm really leaning towards the Cherokee Kit. Is there something that I'm totally missing from the Raw Builders Kit or the RTR? I've also been looking at the Element Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit but not sure if there is much parts support in my area. Both the SCX10 ii and Element Enduro look like great options.

What say you?
Clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR

I've had the original Cherokee kit since it first came out in 2016 I believe was the year.I replaced the plastic link balls with steel,threw on a set of Samix front shocks.STRC chubs and knucks and it has been excellent..I can highly recommend that truck.Recently installed SSD OD gears and so far I like em alot.Lots of bang for your buck on this one..Still rockin the stock plastic shocks and they work well when built right!

Currently building the Enduro builders kit,plan on doing the same minimal mods to it as well so that I can see if it can hold it's own against my Cherokee..If it turns out to be half as good ( I cant any reason why it wont be) I will be happy.

I also built the trx4 kit and the quality was excellent but the portals are just not my thing.In my opinion they are more suited to the capra or a Mog build..

Lots of excellent choices but my vote goes for the Cherokee or Enduro kit..Have fun

Last edited by xv-townboy; 02-12-2020 at 12:12 AM.
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I bought a secondhand Cherokee RTR as my first scaler/crawler and did a few upgrades to it (servo, brass weight on axles, TRX4 shocks, wheels/tires). It's really a pretty decent crawler out of the box though.

There's two ways to think about it:

1. Buy something that runs and see for yourself what needs to be upgraded. (For me, it was tires first, then needed more weight down low). More expensive in the long run, though you likely won't waste money on upgrades you don't need.

2. Start with a kit and buy quality parts from the start. You'll end up with an awesome rig, but you won't get the satisfaction of doing an upgrade and feeling the difference it makes.

There's quite a few upgraded crawlers on my local FB marketplace. It's a little risky to buy a used RC car, but there are good deals to be had.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

Wait!

Axialfest is coming up later this year and I'd be shocked if they don't release a new SCX10.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wait!

Axialfest is coming up later this year and I'd be shocked if they don't release a new SCX10.
This!

Axial almost has to release a new one by this point.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
This!

Axial almost has to release a new one by this point.
This was something I was wondering as well. Wait and see if they do any upgrades on the RBK?

I am really leaning towards the RBK since I can add my choice of wheels/tires and body. I'm not in love with the Cherokee body or glue wheels/tires.

For electronics I was planning on:
Futaba 3PRKA Trans/Rec - Already have
Savox SC-0251 Servo - 200+ oz torque
Quicrun 1080 ESC - Basic but functional
Axial 35T motor - Basic but functional

I know this probably seems very basic to most of you but this rig will solely be for bashing with my kiddos and potential club meet ups...no competition.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Basic is good. You don't wanna be the guy who breaks down during the Sunday trail run and has to walk back to the car.

There was a whack of newer fancier kits on the market when I bought my RBK and rumours of new releases up the wazoo. I just couldn't see myself never owning an Axial 10 (or 10ii), the machine that changed the hobby overnight.

Here's my crazy messed up build thread btw where you will see that my rig is not unlike your list below.

RBK PL Comanche build A to Z in pictures

That's awesome! I appreciate the feedback.

My background is mainly the Team Associated rear motor RC10B4/T4 vehicles and now that they're well into mid-motor RC10B6.2, mine are outdated like an Iphone 6. And, with my kids using the vehicles more, our fleet has shifted to Traxxas for the durability, simplicity and fun. I'm seeing that in the scale/crawlers as well.

I'll likely pick up the current RBK and upgrade as needed. More than anything, it'll be fun to get something that can be used more than just on a groomed offroad track.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

I love my unimog kit. Only drawback I found was the shorter wheelbase which I fixed with vanquish links. That solved the other issue of crappy axial rodends. And I have a blast with it
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #9

So this followed me home today. It's my first kit since building the truck pictured below....I think I'm just as excited about the Axial today as I was the RC10T 27 years ago!

Old 02-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

good option,
I can bet that over the months you are going to upgrade almost everything
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Ha. Some are must-do's but not all imho. The one-piece axles are deceptively efficient, and the hard grey AX10 transmission gets the job done. Those shocks however...
The shocks were the real compromise....they seem inferior but the overall aftermarket parts availability won out. I've got it budgeted to improve/replace the stock plastic shocks. What are some good options? Would buying metal bodies be a start or just replace the entire units all together?

I'm still trying to decide what body to use.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

The Traxxas big bores are great, as ND not just because of the price but genuinely fantastic shocks.

Those internal sprung Desert Lizards though, absolute cake for scale looks and I hear they work damn good too.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Five stars for the GTS Aluminums in every respect, and they even take Axial springs.
I'll definitely be trying those TRX4 shocks when I need another set, just a heads up though, Axials 14x70mm springs fit the Big Bore shocks perfectly, literally a perfect fit.

Here's my personal spring notes on big bores with Axial springs...

Under 8lb

Rear
AX33314
Spring 14x70mm 1.70 lbs/in - Green (2pcs)

Front
AX30225
Spring 14x70mm 1.75 lbs/in - Orange (2pcs)

Over 8lb

Rear
AX30225
Spring 14x70mm 1.75 lbs/in - Orange (2pcs)

Front
AX30218
Spring 14x70mm 2.07 lbs/in - Red (2pcs)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Didn't intend to suggest otherwise.
I realize that, you didn't mention Axials 14x70mm springs at all.

Quote:
I run green up front and white at the back of my 7.5lb scx10ii. I like em squishy.
The whites are 2.47lbs/in.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #15

Made a lot of headway over the weekend. The chassis is nearly fully assembled and mocked up with cheap wheels, tires and a battery.

A couple minor setbacks/roadblocks during the build:
- The one piece crossmember that incorporates the battery tray, servo mount and shock tower had a broken screw hole for the right side shock tower. Had to order a new one for $12.99.
- The differentials are extremely clunky and bind...I can see why others report their pumpkins grenading. It wasn't until I did a bit of research that I found out you really need to shim the pinion (and potentially ring) gear to make things butter smooth. 10x shims ordered in .05mm, .10mm & .20mm. I used a spark plug gapper to measure the exact bit and it looks like I will need about .25mm to get things running right. I'm a bit disappointed that Axial didn't make mention of this in the manual. (Please point me in the right direction if I missed that.)

Overall, it was great to get back into kit building. I've got the motor, ESC and servo on order. My plan is to use the Proline '85 Toyota SR5 Hilux body and do a scale build...likely with 1.55 wheels and tires around 3.75" OD.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you're off to a good start, mention that broken part to Axial support, see what they'll do for ya.

I pretty well shim every gear in the RC world just as standard practice, manufacturers have to hit a certain level of slop to make a one size fits all process and keep costs manageable.

I also haven't heard of any failing en masse, might lose a couple teeth though for sure.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #17

Cool Re: Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkbre View Post
This was something I was wondering as well. Wait and see if they do any upgrades on the RBK?

I am really leaning towards the RBK since I can add my choice of wheels/tires and body. I'm not in love with the Cherokee body or glue wheels/tires.

For electronics I was planning on:
Futaba 3PRKA Trans/Rec - Already have
Savox SC-0251 Servo - 200+ oz torque
Quicrun 1080 ESC - Basic but functional
Axial 35T motor - Basic but functional

I know this probably seems very basic to most of you but this rig will solely be for bashing with my kiddos and potential club meet ups...no competition.
has anyone notice that the 2017 Jeep Wrangler was reduced in price? Maybe thats a hint that something new is coming
felixperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixperez View Post
has anyone notice that the 2017 Jeep Wrangler was reduced in price? Maybe thats a hint that something new is coming
I'd be blown away if Axial didn't release a new scaler at Axialfest.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Seriously, the SSD Trail King is everything a 10.2 should have been. SSD is far more stable and planted than my 10.2 builders kit. Many parts are interchangable between the two. Difference is in the front motor and component quality. Oh, and the shocks work and don't leak.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Seriously, the SSD Trail King is everything a 10.2 should have been. SSD is far more stable and planted than my 10.2 builders kit.
Can make the RBK surpass the TK with SSDs own parts easily for cheaper then the TK itself though.

Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost finished with my scx10 raw builders kit Alphaauto Axial SCX-10 3 10-10-2019 01:49 AM
Possible to build a 9.5-10" wheelbase SCX10 II out of the Raw Builders Kit? wwaveform Axial SCX10 II 5 03-29-2019 05:01 PM
Cherokee kit or Raw Builders Kit? Can’t decide! twentyniner Axial SCX10 II 12 12-02-2018 09:14 AM
SCX10 II raw builders kit-questions Spence Axial SCX10 II 2 11-11-2018 07:34 AM