Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gatekeeper rig

Went to the hobby shop to pick up some new sct tires and ended up coming out with this instead. Hahaha
Going to be sitting on some Flat iron xl tires and black changuish wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piranhaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gatekeeper rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhaboy View Post
Went to the hobby shop to pick up some new sct tires .....
Did you end up coming home with the tires or did an "in stock Gatekeeper" blow your train of thought?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah the gatekeeper kinda blew my train of thought. I really like the way element built this kit out. I’ve always enjoyed assembling AE products the parts kits and instructions are very easy to follow. I’m really digging the speed with the Hobbywing 1800kv quickrun fusion esc motor combo on 3s with a 20 tooth pinion. Good speed for my yard and alley courses.
The savox servo is as good as a savox servo is. I haven’t even ran a pack threw it yet. But overall I’m very happy with my gatekeeper kit.
This was my night off work project since work graveyard. Started it at 8 and finished it 3:30 am. Was watching the three underworld movies on Netflix while doing the build.
Hopefully one day soon I’ll get the interior painted up.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a Capra bred a Gom. I kind of like the looks of it.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Right. Its not a bad looking love child. Looking forward to your updates after more drive time. How heavy is yhe cagework? Does it seem tipsy because of it?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was just watching videos on YouTube and saw I used the same motor/esc as Harley designs. I’m really digging the motor combo with a 20t pinion and 3s. It seems relatively stable with the big cage on it. I did pick up one mistake I made with mounting up the rear arms, not putting them on the outside of the axle link mounts.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like the brushed aluminum look of the body but not the plastic looking tube work as much.

I bought an Enudro kit a while back. The issues I have with are the horrible torque twist, low mounting positions for shocks and susp links, big diff, tippy and weird steering. Originally I ran it as a class1.

I have now turned it in to a class 2. The extra clearance from the larger tires have helped. It sit on a Brazin SCX10ii chassis with a TGH 2 low trans, high clearance links. I have kept the Enduro shocks (seem to be good shocks). I have changed all the link ends to Traxxas ones and move the tie rod to in front of the axle and done a Servo on axle mount. That seems to have the steering better. BUT even with that I still have more torque twist than I want.

I like the portal axles because of clearance and lack of torque but steering is not so good. I like AR44 because the high pinion helps with torque twist some what and clearance some what but the steering radius can be very tight as can the Enduro axle but for me the low pinion allowing for the additional torque twist and less clearance is a problem with an Enduro axle.

I was hoping the Gatekeeper would have been different. I was hoping for a different axle and when I first say it more of a rock bouncer with a legit tube frame chassis body like a Wraith.

The only change from the Gatekeeper that will affect performance (waiting to see how) is the suspension. I am interested to see how well it does. I don't see it helping as a slow technical rock crawling but for higher speed stuff I would think it should do very well. I wonder how it handles the torque twist.

Last edited by MOguy; 10-30-2020 at 07:17 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

A few new pics.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Old 11-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Old 11-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

I don't know how you put that thing together so fast! It took me at least twice as long as TRX4 kit.
I love the shocks and suspension articulation. Way smoother and seems like more travel than TRX4.

I don't love the use of a billion super small button head screws that require the teeny tiny allen wrench. Stripped 2 of 4 bolts going into the plastic tranny gears, should have swapped them for shorter ones, they don't need to be anywhere near as long as they are...

Where did you end up putting the RX?
Slow Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I mounted the rx in the front battery tray. I’m using a cut down full size tray mounted to the rear shock tower brace to hold my 3000mah 3s battery. They were just a bit too long for the shorty tray.
I need to make some aluminum or kydex replacements and pick up an enduro receiver box.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I made a stock style battery tray that fits skinny batteries. I run the Spektrum 2200 3S batteries and they didn’t fit the small tray, and slid around in the long tray. I could give you the STL file if you have a printer available.

There is a picture of it mounted in my Enduro build thread.

Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Sadly no access to a 3D printer.
I’m really enjoying this rc. After taking it out to park with lots of hills and mud during the wonderful rain we were having. I’m digging the gatekeeper. Good mix of speed, climbing ability, and looks. I’ve got about six packs through it so far and its taken them like a champ.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Gatekeeper rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw Gavin Ayala Axial AX10 2nd-gen 40 09-24-2020 09:25 AM
New Gatekeeper GC-3A jdawg53 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 516 11-29-2011 06:34 PM
My first 1.9 Rig .... Gatekeeper Designs The Eye 1.9 Scale Rigs 92 01-20-2011 10:09 AM
gatekeeper gc-3a krono7s Chit Chat 5 11-15-2010 06:48 PM
Gatekeeper ? SMUDGEBUG Chit Chat 19 11-05-2009 05:28 AM