Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: smogs Elements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: smogs Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’ve been really curious since the gatekeeper came out (and I don’t see myself getting one anytime soon), any chance you could measure the height between front shock mount lower holes and the actual shock mounting hole?

I’m trying to figure out if the gatekeeper shock mounts are any taller or would allow a lower ride height. The panhard mount must be adjustable for a reason....
Your question is unclear to me. What is an 'actual shock mounting hole?

Is this what you want?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
RCC Addict

The way I read that he’s looking for axle mount to upper/hoop mount center to center.

Edit nvm read again and I think you got it right. AKA “how tall is the shock hoop”.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Sorry, should have been more clear. Also should have made a thread, or pm’d instead of derailing your thread.

I just wonder if I could use gatekeeper shock hoops and panhard mount on a standard enduro to get a lower ride height.
I noticed right away the gatekeeper panhard mount allows for adjustment up, so I wondered if the shock hoops were designed with lowering the ride height out of the box.

But the picture answers my question, they do look taller thank standard enduro hoops. Thank you.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Sorry, should have been more clear. Also should have made a thread, or pm’d instead of derailing your thread.

I just wonder if I could use gatekeeper shock hoops and panhard mount on a standard enduro to get a lower ride height.
I noticed right away the gatekeeper panhard mount allows for adjustment up, so I wondered if the shock hoops were designed with lowering the ride height out of the box.

But the picture answers my question, they do look taller thank standard enduro hoops. Thank you.
The shock mounting hole my my Trailwalker hoops sit the same height above the frame as the lower shock-hoop hole on my Gatekeeper, so yeah you can mount the top of the shock at a higher point above the frame. That should effectively lower your ride height in the front.

That is a lot of hoops and holes...lol
Old 11-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

There is a difference in the frame. The standard Enduro doesn’t have the holes for the new panhard bar mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #26
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
There is a difference in the frame. The standard Enduro doesn’t have the holes for the new panhard bar mount.
Makes sense. I haven’t checked the difference of the hole pattern, but assume one would simply just drill out any necessary mounting points on the frame.

Last edited by smog; 11-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Awesome, thanks smog. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Please continue as scheduled. Looking forward to seeing more. That jp1 body is on my short list.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #28
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Awesome, thanks smog. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Please continue as scheduled. Looking forward to seeing more. That jp1 body is on my short list.
You are welcome. No need to apologize, the chatter is enjoyable and stimulates thought.

I am a slow builder, but there is definitely more to come. The JP-1 body is indeed a good one. I like everything about it...and I am not even a Jeep guy
Old 12-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #29
Slow is the new Fast

Been working on the Gatekeeper. Mounted in my electrics and power system.

Put a Mamba in her, woohoo! Yep, gonna beat on her a bit

Powered by this here Castle 3800kv Slate motor.
Its a lot of juice for an Enduro in my opinion, so I tempered the enthusiasm by dropping the pinion a couple of teeth from stock. Here is a 16T Robinson Absolute Pinion meshing the stock Spur. Its a beautiful union.

It was a lot of up front weight, so I decided to balance things a bit with some SSD axle weights. Feels a bit better balanced

The body has been in paint for a good week, so the boys have had plenty of time to plow through a few cases of their strange brew. "Damnit Bob, where are the wheels?"

Last edited by smog; 12-02-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #30
Go Buckeyes!

Looking good smog!

Going all out on massive power! I've got the same Mamba X with the Slate 3800kv system in my VS4-10 Origin. Hang on to your hat! It's fast! But I love this system! Super smooth low end with a ton of wheel speed when needed!

Cheers to the beers! Perfect time to chill out with a cold one!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looking good smog!

Going all out on massive power! I've got the same Mamba X with the Slate 3800kv system in my VS4-10 Origin. Hang on to your hat! It's fast! But I love this system! Super smooth low end with a ton of wheel speed when needed!

Cheers to the beers! Perfect time to chill out with a cold one!
Sup B! Good to hear from ya .

Yep, the 3800 was sitting on the shelf, so I figured ‘well why not give it a go?’ Glad to hear of your experience with it. The Mamba has great setting options, so I figure I should be able to find a sweet throttle curve...

Cheers ( we should have a beer mug emoji)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Sup B! Good to hear from ya .

Yep, the 3800 was sitting on the shelf, so I figured ‘well why not give it a go?’ Glad to hear of your experience with it. The Mamba has great setting options, so I figure I should be able to find a sweet throttle curve...

Cheers ( we should have a beer mug emoji)
Yeah, that's exactly what I did! I added some throttle curve to mine similar to what John Robert Holmes recommends.

It made for really smooth low end control and ramps up nicely to full on insanity!

Yeah, we need an emoji overhaul! Beer mugs are much needed!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #33
Slow is the new Fast

Got the Gatekeeper a couple steps closer to completion. Its beginning to look trail ready. Tires n'Wheels are here. Mounted the tires to the wheels and bolted em to the Gatekeeper.

Got the panels out of the paint and slapped em on. I am pretty pleased with how they turned out. Went for a dark paint scheme to try and capture the hue of a late night sky. The roof panel is an attempt to paint the sun at a moment of complete eclipse. We do in fact have such a solar event coming up in several days and given that it lands on my 50th birthday I figured I should work it into the paint somehow. There it is. The barn owl is the Gatekeeper, I suppose. Not really sure beyond to say that I have always had an appreciation for the creature. My impression of a Gatekeeper, more of an overseer, a watcher hidden by the darkness of night.

The GKS needed representation, so I sprayed it in the scheme. The suspension on this rig is pretty cool. Thank you Element for bringing some fresh ideas to the c-channel scaler.

...and of course Area 51 Design Works. Not their logo, but who doesn't enjoy telling UFO stories around a campfire in the wee hours.

JConcept Landmines, Knock Off wheels I suspect, but I really like them and they fit my budget. Threw some VP scale hardware in them to suit my fancy

Old 12-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #34

Now that's dopeeee
Yto1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #35
Gold Star Baby!

Some real good stuff here! You’re great painting, especially those driver figures. Excellent detail there.

Digging the new gatekeeper as well. Nice work!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #36
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yto1312 View Post
Now that's dopeeee
Hey, thanks dude. Appreciate that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Some real good stuff here! You’re great painting, especially those driver figures. Excellent detail there.

Digging the new gatekeeper as well. Nice work!
Thanks Topher. I do really enjoy the painting process once I finally come up with an idea.

Look forward to getting this rig onto Terra Firma, I expect it will be a bit of a wild horse but should be fun. Think I want to attempt some detail work on lighting before I get her wet, however

(why does referring to a rig as female always end up sounding a bit dirty)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
Go Buckeyes!

Now that is a cool paint scheme! You nailed the dark peaceful night sky look and the Area 51 reference to tie it all together! Just need a tiny little saucer shaped UFO flying near the eclipse on top!

Love the look of the owl on the hood! And great job on the rear side panels. I like how you angled them in to match the contour of the cage!

Oh and them tiny cigarettes, so cool! And nice work on the driver head details!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #38
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Now that is a cool paint scheme! You nailed the dark peaceful night sky look and the Area 51 reference to tie it all together! Just need a tiny little saucer shaped UFO flying near the eclipse on top!

Love the look of the owl on the hood! And great job on the rear side panels. I like how you angled them in to match the contour of the cage!

Oh and them tiny cigarettes, so cool! And nice work on the driver head details!
Awesome, thanks B! I like the flying saucer idea. Gonna have to look into that possibility.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #39

A light bar would be cool before making her wet...lol
Yto1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #40
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yto1312 View Post
A light bar would be cool before making her wet...lol
Absolutely

smogs Elements - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Braving the UK Elements... Old n ratty Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 3 11-02-2019 02:15 AM
You against the elements apr 25 rrwkrawlzone RRW-JOHN Florida 9 04-16-2015 06:57 PM
Rouge Elements.... sisterfunk Nevada 4 01-26-2012 10:03 PM