Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: New SSD Element parts!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2022, 06:05 AM   #41
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: New SSD Element parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Thanks Amain.
Nice! Post a pic of them when they're built. Curious to see what they look like assembled and installed.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2022, 06:40 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Nice

Just checked amain, they have the ifs housings in stock. Grabbed one.

Thinking about getting that rear axle for the knightrunner too just because lol.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tigris99; 05-20-2022 at 06:54 AM.
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Forgot to take a pic, but ifs housing assembled, gotta put it back in the KR tonight.

SO MUCH NICER THAN THE STOCK PLASTIC! Tolerances are much better too. Gonna grab a second one since I have a second IFS build coming soon.

Only thing that bugs me but seems like no company gets it, proper seal type "sealed bearings" for the IFS. But nothing marine grease can't fix. That inner bearing is huge though which is REALLY NICE. Not needed, problem is tolerances in the stock housing as well as stock housing should have been the "hard" plastic, but definitely be a nice increase in durability as much as I beat the hell outta my knightrunner that is now running and AXE brushless system.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Tigris, seems like you and I worked on our rigs last night lol.

Here's my progress y'all. Got the front diamond axle on but forgot to put the axle bearings in and called it a night lol. It'll be done tonight and I'll take more pictures.

Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Tigris, seems like you and I worked on our rigs last night lol.

Here's my progress y'all. Got the front diamond axle on but forgot to put the axle bearings in and called it a night lol. It'll be done tonight and I'll take more pictures.

NICE

Those brake/hub set ups are bad a$$, where are they from? Have a hilux build I'm working on those would be perfect

Old 05-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
NICE

Those brake/hub set ups are bad a$$, where are they from? Have a hilux build I'm working on those would be perfect

Those are the SSD locking hubs! Another quality piece for sure.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #47
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Forgot to take a pic, but ifs housing assembled, gotta put it back in the KR tonight.

SO MUCH NICER THAN THE STOCK PLASTIC! Tolerances are much better too. Gonna grab a second one since I have a second IFS build coming soon.

Only thing that bugs me but seems like no company gets it, proper seal type "sealed bearings" for the IFS. But nothing marine grease can't fix. That inner bearing is huge though which is REALLY NICE. Not needed, problem is tolerances in the stock housing as well as stock housing should have been the "hard" plastic, but definitely be a nice increase in durability as much as I beat the hell outta my knightrunner that is now running and AXE brushless system.

Nice. Glad to hear it tightened everything up! I gotta get mine ordered. I was shocked at how much play there is in the pinion shaft when the stock plastic case is tightened up.

I too would like to see sealed bearings for the IFS. I did pack mine with marine grease too. I'll have to check to see if Jim's Bearings has this size sealed.

Quote:
I need a set of those!
Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Only thing that bugs me but seems like no company gets it, proper seal type "sealed bearings" for the IFS.
They are an incredibly rare size to find in sealed or even just shielded (I have searched many industrial bearing suppliers). Element has a little known option part for sealed bearings - part # 91479.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...s_7x14x3_5_mm/
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:30 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Are those the functional locking hubs, as in you can put the front into freewheel? If so, that's awesome, and this kind of build is perfect for that sort of thing.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Are those the functional locking hubs, as in you can put the front into freewheel? If so, that's awesome, and this kind of build is perfect for that sort of thing.
Correct sir!
Old 05-24-2022, 02:35 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Would have never thought they were more than looks, that makes them even more awesome. Wonder how well they hold up.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Would have never thought they were more than looks, that makes them even more awesome. Wonder how well they hold up.

When they were first released I read the instructions from the SSD website, and as much as I would like to try a set I'm a touch concerned by the C-clip and small coil spring inside the hub holding up to repeated actuation cycles in a dirty environment. I'm keeping an eye out for some longer-term user reports...

Assembly Instructions link:

http://www.ssd-rc.com/downloads/SSD%...20Assembly.pdf
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
When they were first released I read the instructions from the SSD website, and as much as I would like to try a set I'm a touch concerned by the C-clip and small coil spring inside the hub holding up to repeated actuation cycles in a dirty environment. I'm keeping an eye out for some longer-term user reports...

Assembly Instructions link:

http://www.ssd-rc.com/downloads/SSD%...20Assembly.pdf
Looking at the design, I have little concern about it functioning as intended. But I do question longer term durability because it appears to use threads, so eventually they will wear out.

That said, I'll have to look at the price, may still be worth it lol.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looking at the design, I have little concern about it functioning as intended. But I do question longer term durability because it appears to use threads, so eventually they will wear out.

That said, I'll have to look at the price, may still be worth it lol.

Since the mechanism is inside the aluminum hub cover, it might not get too gritty, but (?)

At $110 smackers, I'm still gonna wait a bit longer.

I have bought way too many aftermarket upgrades for the Gatekeeper kit including a clear Ecto body, it may have started off as a bargain but I pretty quickly lost my mind - go figure!

(and I'm procrastinating on the build - as usual, so who knows when it will be done - maybe there will be a bunch of guys with many miles on the locking hub kit by then...)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I know that feeling, have way to much money dumped into my knight runner with the gatekeeper kit starting to fall in line with that. Everytime I think my knightrunner is done cool new stuff comes out.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #56
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
They are an incredibly rare size to find in sealed or even just shielded (I have searched many industrial bearing suppliers). Element has a little known option part for sealed bearings - part # 91479.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...s_7x14x3_5_mm/
Nice! Thanks for the info! Getting these ordered ASAP!

Quote:
I have bought way too many aftermarket upgrades for the Gatekeeper kit including a clear Ecto body, it may have started off as a bargain but I pretty quickly lost my mind - go figure!

(and I'm procrastinating on the build - as usual, so who knows when it will be done
Sounds sooo familiar!!!

Quote:
Everytime I think my knightrunner is done cool new stuff comes out.

The exact problem I seem to have!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:53 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

(and I'm procrastinating on the build - as usual, so who knows when it will be done)
Oh, how I know/understand that one. "Been there, done that"...many times.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

It took me two an a half years to finish building my first Bomber, and the build thread was even called "The "Just shut up and build it" thread..."

(it was 14 pages and 275 posts long)

At the end, I ended up with enough parts to build a second one, and even it will have very few stock parts.

With the Gatekeeper/Ecto, I also have a currently near-stock Enduro Sendero as well as a GreenMountainRC Machete chassis to spread the parts across.

My RC4WD C2X never turned a wheel in stock configuration - I have picked up every upgrade available (I think).

That's a 4-link truck - my Marlin has been driven for about 5min and then I decided to get all the bits and bobs to make a leaf-sprung rig perform reasonably well, and a metal work-truck bed to boot!

Good thing I'm old and don't drink, date, or have kids...
Old 05-31-2022, 10:58 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Amain has everything including the new toycoma wheels. Just bought a set lol. Only part I don't have is the diamond front axle. Bought the rear one for my knightrunner. Will likely get a second set of those wheels for my hard body tacoma build.

New SSD Element parts! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW SSD Upgrades for Element RC Enduro - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-20-2019 10:24 AM
NEW SSD RC Upgrades for Element RC Enduro - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-16-2019 03:27 PM