Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: OCM/Newage - Enroute/Berg General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
One big problem to the short sides setup is mounting any links to the axle. The motor will get in the way.
good point, I didnt think of that. so scratch that
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

What if he flips the motor like Bonus Line did. That way the motor would be in the back.

Last edited by TLTRyan; 06-06-2008 at 05:31 PM.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #43
Holmes Hobbies

Hey,what about a mount for TCS stick? We need a super with Berg axles
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
What if he flips the motor like Bonus Line did. That way the motor would be in the back.
that would be the ticket.

it would probably work if you were to do that!

good thinking.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Can anyone tell me what the width would be if you were to use two short axles, instead of 1 long and 1 short. I like to have a narrower rear width, and I am just wondering if that would be a way to do it. The tires hitting the motor wouldn't be a concern, since the rear doesn't steer.

I just measured them for you. All measurements taken from king pin screw to mounting face on the gear case.

Short side = 2.11in
Long side = 4.07in

Difference of 1.96in So you are looking at 2in narrower on the axle.

Currently with my narrowed hexes I'm at 8.5 wide measuring from the outside of the hex.

So in short if you use 2 narrow axle tubes you would have a 6.5in wide axle.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #46
Mic
Rock Crawler

The FedEx man just droped off my Berg/Newage. It is evenmore impressive in person. Kind of makes my AX-10 look like a piece of crap. Even the hardware is impressive. I can not wsit to get it going
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One big problem to the short sides setup is mounting any links to the axle. The motor will get in the way.

That is probably true. But just like my Super class Clod, it will have 2 shocks and no links.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #48
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
Nice job on getting this stuff available to us. Interesting chassis kit you got there, looks pretty versatile. Guess I'll have to try it out now. What are all the holes in the top middle used for?
This chassis is extremely versatile. Run it slammed, run it tall. It already has holes in it to "clock" the axles, especially for the rear so you can get the gearcase and motor up and out of the way. If you install high clearance links, you can use the long lower links as uppers and that is what the set of holes are for in the center of the chassis.

kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Anyone tried the pro-line wheels yet???
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I got 1 question, just ordered 1 and was wondering what I should look at as far as breakage?? Should I stock up on anything? you know the usual questions.

Thanks
mike
rn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn38 View Post
I got 1 question, just ordered 1 and was wondering what I should look at as far as breakage?? Should I stock up on anything? you know the usual questions.

Thanks
mike
I have been a little lucky I guess, in that I haven't broken a single stock part yet.

I have read of a couple of inner axles getting twisted. But the one component I have read the most about is the outer axle stubs shearing. Good thing about outers though, is that AX-10 stubs are a direct replacement, and have held up better. This is based on what I have read though, not personal experience.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #52
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
I have been a little lucky I guess, in that I haven't broken a single stock part yet.

I have read of a couple of inner axles getting twisted. But the one component I have read the most about is the outer axle stubs shearing. Good thing about outers though, is that AX-10 stubs are a direct replacement, and have held up better. This is based on what I have read though, not personal experience.
I 2nd that. I've heard the stubs are the most vulnerable and that the ax10 stubs are the way to go. Once I get the ax10 stubs back in stock I'll be replacing my stock Berg stubs with the ax10 parts. I haven't broken anything on mine yet though.

The truck in general seams pretty durable though.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 06-09-2008 at 08:56 AM.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Great!!! Glad someone found that the axials work better. I may have to get a set just in case!
rn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Looking to get this rig soon. Does anyone know if the Vanquish beadlocks fit on the axles? Any clearance issues? Pics? Thanks in advance.
kalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

wow nice room , the kegerator is over there >

nice to have our own forum thank you
BoNuS LiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Yep, It is kinda nice!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #57
varcor.org

sweet... no more digging thru the forums for ideas...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Noticed there has been a lot of talk about trying to get the axles by themselves, so I went over to enroute's site to verify the pricing of them. Sadly, the axles by themselves are no longer listed there.

But if I remember correctly, they had listed the axles about 2/3rds of the cost of the kit. So, to put that in American dollars at current kit selling price, we would be in the ballpark of $230 just for the axles, and as I remember them, this would be without the servo mount/plate. Add a servo mount, and you would be in the $250 range. Maybe it is just me, but if this is how they come priced if they do become available, it is worth the extra $100 to me for all the other crap. Nice shocks, nice wheels for another project, plenty of hardware, a few links, bumper/battery mount, some random aluminum, etc is well worth that.

And this is coming from a guy that is literally only using the axles and lower links at this point.
After dealing with removing the stock wheels from my rig earlier this week, I will gladly retract this statement.

It has always been known that these wheels, although attractive in stock form, were never really meant for the width of the stock axles. Newage could have done a MUCH better job with the offset. With the offset issue pushed to the side, I have always stated that these wheels would be great for other projects, i.e. projects with narrower axles.

The only other complaint I have had about the wheels is the size of the hardware. The ring mounted screws are simply tiny and weak.............in fact, I broke a couple of heads off just installing the rings. It is a fine line between getting the screws tight enough to properly grab the tire, and shearing the heads off.

After running the stock wheels for a few months, the tiny hardware issue came to light when I went to remove the rings. The hex "pocket" was small to begin with, but once you add in a couple of months of rock scraping them, it is damn near impossible to "grab" the hex pockets at all. There was just nothing left of the head to catch. Between all four wheels, I ended up grinding the heads off of about nine screws so that they could be removed.

The hardware on the stock wheels is just too small for real crawlers!!!!

So, looking back at my statement above, if you remove the value of the wheels, and yes, I LOVE the stock shocks, but others are available pretty cheaply......................once you add in these factors, the kit may not be the better deal over the axles that I once believed. Right now, I put the value cost of the kit vs. the axles alone at about equal.................with me on the fence either way right now.:-P
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I never really considered getting the kit because of the wheels, when I knew I would never use them due to the offset. But that's good to know about the wheel hardware for those who might put them to use.

The only bonus I could see for getting a kit over just the axles is the servo mounts, which do not come with the axles. But for almost $100 more I couldn't justify buying the kit. I will just have to get a little creative with my servo mount.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote