Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: jombo's plane bta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

It might work in the end but I don't see an advantage over a regular OTA.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

here it is , my prototype parts working so far, now i just need to dismantle the whole truck to loctite everything down :-( . the truck was setup as a experimental setup with the tires and radio and dig tray on top the new setup will have it on the lower tray and the battery on top of the servo up front . still have a few bugs but nothing that cant be fixed . i also got the dig servo to work to my liking with the dx3.0 but thats another story

jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

lmao that was killing me. never mind you. i carnt beleive you posted that vid. what medicine are you on.

As for your steering "or lack of should i say." 2:08 said it all for me its complete junk it all just flexed and bent up giving you 1 wheel steer

Is this some sort of wind up or is (jombo) for real
j4s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Dude , I don't mean to just bash you ....BUT!

Whats the point ? That seriously looks worse than a standard system ...

I don't own a Berg but looks to me that the Berg axles have hardly any issues of the steering link hitting rocks ...
Actually the place where you are aiming to put that link (which is unclear since it behind the axle in some pics and not in some) looks like will be binding up on rocks for sure ...

If you want to just waste your time and fiddle with stuff (go learn how to paint or something ,where you might end up with something descent by accident at times )
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4s0n View Post
lmao that was killing me. never mind you. i carnt beleive you posted that vid. what medicine are you on.

As for your steering "or lack of should i say." 2:08 said it all for me its complete junk it all just flexed and bent up giving you 1 wheel steer

Is this some sort of wind up or is (jombo) for real
lol , you cant even set up your own truck and you comment on mine

headhunter your another one who cant even setup your own truck lol
headhunter its not fiddling i am just trying to get the best steering i can because this is a weak point in any truck , all trucks could be setup this way because they all have C hubs but thanks for your ...complements

seriously if it was from anyone else i still wouldnt be affended because arguing on the net is like running in the special olimpics ...
its all a learning curve guys

Last edited by jombo; 11-29-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I thought I was on pirate4x4 for a minute.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Umm, it flexes and has no point but.... cool? Nice red-rocks, stock beadlocks and inboard shocks, your whole truck is a pile of steaming poo IMHO

EDIT: is that reverse delay I hear, seems like it's set up to break the sound barrier too
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

put the stock steering system on it and be done with.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I refuse to bash anyone on any forum, but I will post up with actual advice as to why I don't think your setup will work as you plan it to man. First off, I applaud the attempt at doing something new. The way your have the actual steering system hooked up to the knuckles is my first concern. Those rods you have that drop down to the knuckles, will and are flexing. Look at the vid (2:12 mark, I'm not sure why it counts down, but it does lol). While your front axle was perpendicular to the floor there and you went to steer, only the upper tire moves. That tells ya that there is some major movement going on within your steering setup. That is a bad bad bad thing in crawling. Another thing that I noticed is with your overall setup and how loose the suspension was. I know you said it was an experimental setup overall, but that thing flexed more or less like a limp noodle. One of the key factors in flex is that when it does flex, it exerts an opposing force on the other two or 3 tires so that they can get enough downforce from the suspension moving to add weight so to speak to the other wheels so that they gain traction. When I saw how loosely yours flexed I know that can't be what's going on there. If I were you I would definitely limit the articulation and stiffen those shocks up. 90* of flex is cool and all to look at, but in the real world of crawling, it normally doesn't do jack for ya, and in most cases can get ya in trouble. Like I said, not bashing, just trying to offer some friendly advice!!

Last edited by HomerJ; 11-29-2008 at 09:34 PM.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

some times its better to ask a question of something your not sure about when building a custom truck

than posting a vid of a stock "or as good as" truck and also flipping form bta to ota and just genraly making your self look foolish

Last edited by j4s0n; 12-01-2008 at 01:08 PM.
j4s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
Those rods you have that drop down to the knuckles, will and are flexing. Look at the vid (2:12 mark, I'm not sure why it counts down, but it does lol). While your front axle was perpendicular to the floor there and you went to steer, only the upper tire moves. That tells ya that there is some major movement going on within your steering setup.
All you have to watch is from 2:15 to 2:05 - those few seconds say it all. Instead of turning the wheels, the one wheel planted itself on the floor and the servo flexed the linkage instead. Ouch!

A lot of work to just turn the servo backwards and add a ton of flex.

You're not moving a light little flap or airelon here. You need beefy steering components that transfer all the force of the servo right to the knuckles...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I guess I can say you tried, but it did not work out. Let me help you out alot.

Click here

Fourth pic down.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Default prototype / test bed

all replys are welcome but when one bashes others work and not ofering advice to fix it is bad carma in my book .
this is my other crawler

this is a test bed for all my ideas to see if my ideas will work or not thats all, the tires are a big no no and all i had that were 2.2, so testing they went on . the banging or popping in the tires are BB in the tires and seem to put the weight down low so i will try to use them in the final product . the articulation it definitly tooo much and was for visual purpose only to see how the rockers worked transfering the load. the steering is my biggest consern, as you all saw the steering was wabbly and loose it can be fixed with some brake line but still will be a weak point .
the kk kits are the way to go and i do like the servo facing back so i will see if that will be still possible later
i would like to thank you all for your comments as this will be implimented in the crawler since i have at least 5 months to get it together and ready