Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: The Nerd's new rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Edging ever closer. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it running, won't that be a shock. Apart from all the links being mocked up, there are a number of other changes, I'll leave to the pictures to explain them.

Cheers
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Made up a new servo mount that clears the shock a bit better. Also made up my first Titanium link. No problems as such but it takes quite a while. Also note the tie rod is definitely not permanent. I will make a Ti one that tucks in under the servo horn, and is closer to the axle.

Kieren
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #103
TSK
Shelf queen

I probably missed it, but what's your expected RTR weight?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #104
RCC Addict

Funny you ask that, last night I threw everything on the scales and it turned out at just a hair under 2000g with a 1100 battery (I will run 850's in this just haven't got them yet), which is something like 4 pounds 4 ounces? So with knuckle weights plus I might do a little more shaving here and there I'm hoping for an end weight of around 2050g or 4.5 pounds. Not the lightest around, but not exactly heavy either.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #105
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Funny you ask that, last night I threw everything on the scales and it turned out at just a hair under 2000g with a 1100 battery (I will run 850's in this just haven't got them yet), which is something like 4 pounds 4 ounces? So with knuckle weights plus I might do a little more shaving here and there I'm hoping for an end weight of around 2050g or 4.5 pounds. Not the lightest around, but not exactly heavy either.

Kieren
Lighter than 4.5 lbs?

Good lord. Who's lighter than that? That's crazy. Good job
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #106
RCC Addict

I'm sure I've seen a few that are around the 4 pound mark, but most go back to 4.5-5ish with weights from what I've see so that's sort of what I'm aiming at.

Remember though I am running little motors, little shocks, delrin chassis (not 1/8" steel total beef like some people) and almost everything on the axles has been shaved to some degree. All that's left is the gears, and a few other things I could do but not 100% sure if I want to yet.

I believe that sub 4 pounds would be doable with the right components, I don't think it would crawl that well, but it would be doable.

Thanks
Kieren
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #107
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
I'm sure I've seen a few that are around the 4 pound mark, but most go back to 4.5-5ish with weights from what I've see so that's sort of what I'm aiming at.

Remember though I am running little motors, little shocks, delrin chassis (not 1/8" steel total beef like some people) and almost everything on the axles has been shaved to some degree. All that's left is the gears, and a few other things I could do but not 100% sure if I want to yet.

I believe that sub 4 pounds would be doable with the right components, I don't think it would crawl that well, but it would be doable.

Thanks
Kieren
Haha I hear you. The new versions should be lighter even though it's much bigger dimensionally. As it is, without weights, I'm around 5 lbs 3oz. That's good enough in my book. Good luck with this thing. Video when it's finished would be great.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Update from wednesday. Got the tie rod done. Tucks in nicely, but at the same time is very direct for the steering. I'm already loving the BLS157, just from plugging it into the super's receiver. The speed is crazy, and the torque seems to be well up there also!

Kieren
Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #109
TSK
Shelf queen

How much caster are you running? And after seeing all your axial's, I would've expected much more steering angle from you.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #110
RCC Addict

From memory it's around the 25* mark. Don't worry once I get the Ti links on the front I should be able to get every single degree I can out of those super 300s.

Kieren
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Nice build, i am looking at a couple of new 454's i have (ran for 3 min before it destroyed the aluminum gears on one of my cliff climber projects...don't laugh), so they have been sitting on my parts bin for a while, and now thanks to you they are going on my hr axles and try to fit the servo the same way
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #112
RCC Addict

What turn are they? Just from the couple times I've plugged mine in they have VERY smooth start up, I was pleasantly surprised after reading numerous posts saying it was quite jerky. That is with 16t arms that have been slotted and 11t pinions. I'm glad to hear that my build is inspiring you to use parts you already have, their the best kind as they don't cost anything

Thanks
Kieren
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #113
RCC Addict

Just a few pictures of the latest additions.

Just got to get some bigger heatshrink and shorten the RX and battery wires, then the micro's should be finished.

Kieren
Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Default .

Nice looking rig.
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Electronics are about 90% done. Pictures should be fairly self explanatory, but if there not please ask away. Also just a tip to those who might try something similar DON'T solder a micro deans on your bec and then realise that $%@& I forgot to change it to 7.4v You do have to solder the servo connector back on and reprogram, then put the deans back on. Also apart from trying to get away from my normal birds nest of wiring I tried a few new things I don't normally do. The main one was micro deans on the battery instead of my normal full size deans. I wanted something a bit smaller, and 3.5mm bullets were going to be roughly the same size as a deans plug. So I decided to try the micro's for a couple reason's, the first being that the wires are tiny on the battery so a small plug can't hurt to much and the other BundyCrawler's new rig has micro's and it will be easier if we share plugs to swap and compare battery's if need's be.

It's getting there, hoping to get the rest of the Ti links done, but measuring things up I think I might be about 100mm short, so off to order some more I go.

Kieren
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Default weight

back to the weight thing, be careful not to get too light or the thing just wont crawl. not enough mass to put the little weight you could have to the tires so, no climby. i talked to super dave John a while ago and he had to add some weight to his rig for the same purposes. between the ti fighters and the carbon chassis, he was at 4lbs. and nothing, not much of a crawler at that weight. food for thought.
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Yeah I believe 86jeep came to a similar conclusion, before his unfortunate leave from of the hobby. The way I look at it though, is if it's light to start with there is more room to add weight exactly where you want it.

Kieren
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Wasn't 100% happy with the way it was before. It would have had no affect on performance, but as I'm sure you worked out by now that's not the only thing that matters to me Front's not done yet, but it will be done in due time also. It also went for it's first drive the other night. By drive I mean turned on and moved under it's own power about 10m. So far I'm happy with it all electronics wise. The pullers are just as smooth if not smoother than a normal 540 3 pole so I'm happy. From what I could tell in the short drive they might have a bit less power, but that's to be expected given the small size.

Kieren
Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #119
RCC Addict

A little more done. You might also see the start of some colour coming through, once a few orders get here and I get rid of these horrid purple and green links it should pop. Going to have to do something to the gearboxes also to get rid of the grey. Might just hit them with a black rattle can for now or something.

Kieren
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #120
RCC Addict

Got it running "properly" for the first time tonight, I can't wait to get it on the rocks now. Still waiting on the Super 300s and finishing the Ti links before it's a real runner, but those little motors definitely have some sting. The way I have them geared makes them feel like there is a whole lot of expo dialed in. The are really slow and smooth on the low end, but once you get them wound up they really get going. I think it should work well, but if not I have the option to play around with the curves, on either the esc's or the radio. The only problem so far with the electronics has been the bec was a bit iffy tonight. Couple times I plugged the battery in and the bec wouldn't power up, only the escs. I think it might be my solder joint where the bec is connected to the ESC, as once it got fired up it was fine. Got to love lead free solder on CC escs

Kieren