Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: The “basic questions for building an FOFF” thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default The “basic questions for building an FOFF” thread.

Hey guys, I’m new to RC and after recently building a Wraith, and being underwhelmed with it’s speed (of course, since it’s a crawler) stumbled into this section. Living in Alaska I’ll be mostly racing in snow, probably more bashing style. Anyway, I’ve been reading a lot of build threads and have some ideas already. I also know there is a lot to learn that a lot of you guys learned already. What parts work well together, what don’t, etc, etc. I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people could all come together and post ideas, specs they’re considering, links to go reads they like or questions. A more consolidated area of knowledge that future builder and I can go to.

What I have already – a Hobbywing 4000KV brushless sensored motor (or I also have a Traxxas VXL 3s ESC and 3500KV motor). Axial wheels, upper and lower links, Traxxas ultra shocks (the short ones). I’m reading about axles here: http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1073900644. My current question is regarding the best frame to build off. Being that I’ll be in snow a lot a little extra clearance would be nice. I figured I’ll use an SCX10 chassis or a Wraith. I think the pro of the SCX10 chassis is I can have multiple body style choices. Other wise I’m not really sure of the pros and cons of one or another as a platform. Anyone care to share their thoughts or experience on that matter?

Last edited by IPT; 05-31-2014 at 12:56 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The “basic questions for building an FOFF” thread.

I know plenty of people here have built using the scx chassis. The chassis is good to build from as its known what will fit, but I have no experience of it or the Wraith

I built my first foff using a crawler chassis, then my second I used the sides of an R1 chassis with a custom made delrin skid plate.

The first build was a great learning process good fun, but I wanted something better and decided to go my own way rather than do similar to others.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Who said the wraith is a crawler.

If you follow the sraith forum yoyl spend near a thousand in VP upgrades 300-400 on brush less tekin combo. Another's 150-175 for a servo.

All for a crawler????? Fffggggging no.

I do not consider the wraith just a crawler.
2100kv brush less motor metal tranny gears and some traxas heavy duty drive lines and the wraith is sand throwing speed machine.

Without ever dropping any cash on wraith this or hitech that.

I fly planes helix and quads and I feel the ground aspect of the hobby is the most uniformed all based on a few people and shat they say is the best. Yes what they say may be the best but is far from being what's right for everyone.

Good luck. You will need it
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

wraith is a solid axle locked diff Crawler. period. you can make it into anything you want with enough money but a stock wraith is a crawler.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
IPT
Quarry Creeper

not looking to start a Wraith, vs SCX10, vs model of the year war. Just looking for people's thoughts. If I choose a Wraith it will be far from stock for this build. I just built one that I'll use for Crawling more in the way it was originally intended.

What I am looking for now is something that I can build myself. Something to learn from with a little input from what others have learned and are willing to share. Something fast, that will throw snow like crazy, and keep up with or hopefully even out-perform my Stampede.

Solid locked axels sound good to me. I hate when my Stampede gets stuck because it's limited slip.

So I gather I can use either frame then. Still not sure what the pros and cons of each are though so maybe it's time to just flip a coin.

Last edited by IPT; 05-31-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

i say for axles you want anything that is narrow, nothing too wide cause then it seems they just wanna dig holes and sink, thats my experience also i say LONG wheelbase is a must along with very limited travle shocks only need about 1" of travle. heres where mine sits i stile the tranny i was putting into it for a bouncer so ill have to come back to this one day.
Attached Images

gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

how does IFS go with something like a Foff'er ?

im about to start piecing together a buggy/truck foffbouncer thing and tossing up between XR width SCXaxles, or HPI buggy IFS (its the same width as an AR60)

IFS with solid rear, or solid axle all round??
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas marked spools.

Wraith are marketed as rock racers.
I built a wraith kit so I never got to exsperince a stock wraith.
I have been around a few rtr wraiths and they aren't the greatest at crawling and go fast enough for some mild bashing jumping.

Solid axle rigs are versatile in the 1:1 world and Rc

The stampede ounce locked will always beat the wraith
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Don't limit yourself to either a wraith or scx chassis especially if you like the idea of changing bodies at will. My favorite chassis to build off of is an old ax10 chassis using a skid plate for an scx. I am using the pro line body mount setup for it and so far I'm very pleased with it. Its the only mount I haven't broken in short order. I used to break scx shock hoops every week or so when the body posts would bend on a hard roll.

As far as axles you can pick your poison. Personally I have zero use for scx axles. They require complete teardown when you break the locker or strip another ring & pinion and the front axle shaft selection is shit. All currently available shafts will break easily except the VP vvd's and they are $100. All I will run are AR60'S since the housings are beefier and the whole thing doesn't need a teardown for gear work. The width works for you not against you since it adds stability for off camber maneuvers. Any issue with the tires digging down has got fawkall to do with the axle width. That is the fault of the person squeezing the throttle...

I like to run a bit more suspension travel than most since I launch my rig off of big dunes so it helps to keep parts alive to be able to absorb the impact. I'm running about a 13" wheelbase so the body doesnt look completely fawktarded and I still have a decent turning radius.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
how does IFS go with something like a Foff'er ?

im about to start piecing together a buggy/truck foffbouncer thing and tossing up between XR width SCXaxles, or HPI buggy IFS (its the same width as an AR60)

IFS with solid rear, or solid axle all round??
I wonder the same thing. Seems to me if you're hauling and bouncing around an IFS would be nice. Though the solid axels all around look pretty cool. I'll be curious to see what others say. Blue Monkey obviously has that kit for a reason but I haven't seen too many builds here making use of an IFS.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
The stampede ounce locked will always beat the wraith
Well, it'll never look as cool doing it but why exactly is that? IFS and weight to power ratio?

Last edited by IPT; 06-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.

The “basic questions for building an FOFF” thread. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Crawler, a few basic questions. Ol'Baditude Newbie General 5 05-10-2011 07:16 PM
building an ax10, some basic questions from a newbie bigz57 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 05-02-2009 01:15 PM
Basic Dig Questions... WVB Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 08-16-2008 04:20 PM
Few basic questions... CuriousGeorge Newbie General 3 12-30-2005 12:14 PM
Basic TLT-1 questions? CuriousGeorge Newbie General 7 10-22-2004 12:02 AM