Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: donny's R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Default donny's R1

Hi all

I just got my R1 today very excited, ill put up some pics a little later on. im thinking of doing a digital camo paint for it but trying to work out how to do it.hope it turns out ok.

this is the gear i have so far
dx3r
sr3500 receiver
cc mm pro
Hitec hs 5985mg (still need a mirco servo for the dig)
the dig kit
alum c hub
alum link mount
alum upper link mount
alum axle adapter
alum knuckle arms
heavy duty steering rods
high clearance links
skid plates
led lights

this will be my first rock crawler(but have been into other rc's for a while) so i got a few question

motor wise i was thinking of the novak crawler not sure what to get teh 13.5 or the 18.5. i want the thing to crawl but i still want ok speed something under 30 km per hour would be nice or is this too fast for a crawler/ rock racer. would there be much difference between the 2 motors in terms of torque, would the different be noticeable and i will be running 3 cell lipo

i ll get off my lazy bottom and put some pics up soon but i only just started so nothing really to see yet

but thanks in advance for any help and advice

Donny

Last edited by donny; 06-22-2010 at 01:58 PM.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

These things are poping up outta everywhere!!! I want one soo bad, but just made a deal for a biger project, maybe ill sell it to get me an R1, Good luck man, Looks like lots of fun!
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks Twiztid, i hope that bigger project of yours is rc related! but the R1 is a very nice kit from what i put together so far its quality!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
Thanks Twiztid, i hope that bigger project of yours is rc related! but the R1 is a very nice kit from what i put together so far its quality!
Common Donny, quit teasing and post some pics!
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #5

lol!!! sorry about that. all i have only done the wheels and started in the camo paint, so not much to see at the moment sorry. i need to go to my local hobby store this weekend to get some tamiya aw grease and some green slime so i can started on the axles and the suspenion.

but i can say is the digital camo paint scheme is harder then i thought it would be, i dont have a template but i got an image from the net and trying to replicate it by masking the pattens. my problem is trying to get the lines right so its taking longer then expected which is not good. this is my first camo job so dont expected a flash job.

and secondly i have ordered a pair of hardened steel shafts of the r1 i couldnt help myself. they look so good and would be so much better then the plastic ones as the cup and joints would be bulletproof
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=335

but definitely this week end there will be pics sorry again for being a tease

Last edited by donny; 06-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #6

ok sorry for the wait i havent done much yet, i have been a little busy with something else but this is the progress so far

i have masked the front panel and marked 5mm squares on the tape and used a very sharp blade to cut the lines
IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc4/donnylum/IMG_3323.jpg[/IMG]

it took a bit of time to get it right but atlest i sort of got the lines straight and squared

well here goes i know this panel was a sub par job but it looks ok from far away. i thought it was ok for my first attepmted

finish product! im not to happy about it but what can i do

while wait for the paint to dry i tried to do the odds and ends of this kit so it would be easier later on

the top panel turned out much better!!

i wont set painting the side panels yet because i want to set up the buggy and see what angle the panels sits so i can get a straige line

ok on with the shocks, i found the shock shafts i bit rough and dull i had to polish it with the dremel to get that smooth surface, did any one have the same issue or just me

these shocks are the 80mm one i have set them up as sprung to go bashing and ill use the kit 90mm one for crawlering

ill try to do some more this sunday but ill keep you guys updated
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Man, that paint is a lot of work! Looks good !
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

thanks oso787!! i pretty happy myself how it turn out because i really didnt excpet too much and yes it took much longer then i wanted...

here some more pics as promised. one thing about this kit is on the verge of god dam awesome!!! and dare i say on the same level of any XRay RC Kits. all the parts fit perfectly and the hop ups are spot on!!!

it just might be me because im a newbie to rock crawlers or are all rock crawlers built like a brick Sh*t house because i have never seen any rc car built like this! it looks almost bomb proof. all the bits and pieces are big and chucky and dont look like they will break any time soon i

any way here are the pics of the axles!

you might be have noticed i have polished all the bit. i know its sad but dam it looks good BLING BLING!!

I havent done any more as im waiting for the dig kit and the steel drive shafts, i think it should be in in the next couple of days. well thats all for now. I know im going on a bit but dam this kit is good

and one more i am thing of a set of mayhem eng wheels too, im thinking the "7" model in black

Last edited by eric113; 06-28-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: fixing pictures
Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hey Donni, I agree with you on the quality of this thing, its really built like a brick house man. I cant see me breaking anything as long as I use it as intended, you know, no crazy brushless set ups or hard bashing. Mine is strictly for crawling so I know mine will outlast all my cars....and the Heli...well, thats a given!

Last edited by Oso787; 06-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

nice build so far

i like the paintjob

i'm just purchased my R1
Rataplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #11

yeah oso787 i was thinking of going a 2700kv motor i hope that is not to cazy but yeah when i get it all set up it should be get fun

Rataplan you wont be disappointed one of the nicest kits i worked on

and i have some good new and bad i got my steel shafts and the dig system today but no instructions on how to build it :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

so i stuck i try tried to work it out, i think i know how it goes together but i cant work out the where all the screw, bolts and washers goes

i emailed junfac see if they can email me a copy but no reply yet.

if anyone out there have the instruction pls post it up it will be much appreciated

thanks

donny
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

Hi all

i havent done much on my r1 lately but i have finished building the dig and painted both side panels, im waiting for my parts from the US dam! its taking its time. only thing that grinds my gears about living down here is shipping, its just slow and im too cheap to pay for fedex

anyways i have ordered
novak ballistc 18.5t
ht 645 for the dig
mayhem 7's in aluminum black with black rings
sedona
lrp 11.1v hard case lipos 1300mahs
racers edge servo arms
CC bec
spektrum's voltage protector
and a few other bits

hope they come soon this is my 2 week of waiting. i needs it now dam it!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Damn dude your throwin the bling parts at that thing.........

I can't wait till mine is done!
IM GOING CRAZY

These things are pretty damn sick......Fun to assemble to
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #14

yes they are its just a mean looking thing and i like how you can see all the eletronics and can see it all move im use to looking at onroad cars and trucks i never seen something like this kit (newbie rock crawler) and i just needed one. it was suppose to be a budget build but one thing lead to another and here i am............... '

hope yours will be finished soon so we can let the cralwing begin!!! it will be a big moment for me my first crawler
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
yes they are its just a mean looking thing and i like how you can see all the eletronics and can see it all move im use to looking at onroad cars and trucks i never seen something like this kit (newbie rock crawler) and i just needed one. it was suppose to be a budget build but one thing lead to another and here i am............... '

hope yours will be finished soon so we can let the cralwing begin!!! it will be a big moment for me my first crawler

YEAH NO KIDDING........Its tough but parts are so damn clean/sexy....
Course Im a newbie to crawling to so maybe were just drunk crushed on crawling...HAHAHA Im gonna start my thread soon but mines gonna take a bunch of time
I just got my first R7R parts plus ordering dig6 and3 both light sets....
Bomb
KEEP IT ROCKIN BRO
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #16

OK.. I still waiting for my batteries and servo arms so almost all good but cant really put the thing together yet. so close yet o so far away hopefully the part should be in by next week

anyway ill show you my updates on the r1

the mayhem wheels came in couple of days ago and my sedonas. so sexy sooo soooo sexy

i also got a set of the comp ring with the tranditionals. i just like the look if the moon wheels or whatever you call them

look at the dish!!

got the dig built sorry i didnt post it eariler

Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #17

ballistic 18.5 crawler power!
can you feel it yeah!

junfacs steel shafts looks strong but hope they hold up need those batt dam it

the battery tray isbead blasted.. not really my style i need bling
so i sand it back and polished

thats it for me for now. im trying to work out the eletronics its not good news so much wires so little room. i know you are call me names now asking wtf are you doing? but i running the cc mm pro a bec 2 x servos and lights with switches and only that little tray to play with. i almost worked it out but i need the batteries to be 100% sure i really hope they come soon! any ways hope you guys enjoyed it so far

Last edited by donny; 07-25-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

you went all out bling on this one ....... so you cut the carbon steel drive shafts to accomodate the length required by your dig unit? .....

the build looks great
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #19

No need to the steel ones is about 10mm shorter then the standard one so that's good I was afraid I needed to when I saw the instructions on jun facs site but no you don't need to so all good! Thanks strawb yeah hope when the build is done it all works so it can be working bling this won't be a shelf queen it's going to get down and dirty he he he
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

SO I have all my r7r parts so getting JUNFAC dig, lights, and heavy duty driveshafts, thinking about shock cross braces???????

TELL ME FELLAS WHAT ELSE IS A MUST??????