Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Couple questions for the g made experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Couple questions for the g made experts

Hey folks, long story short, a while back i sold my r1, and have missed it ever since. recently i was thinking of buying some sort of buggy or wraith for just a fun side project. i found that r1's were readily available along w/ a lot of hop ups that weren't around when i had mine. i recently ordered a r1 kit and delrin skid plate to inboard the links. i'm also looking into picking up all the upgrades made by gmade for the rig (link mounts, carriers, bent links, etc.). SO, when i bought my last one, it was already assembled, and had some mods done. i'm just wondering what spares to pick up, what breaks easily, and do they come with bearings or bushings in the kit? i only ask cause they sell a complete bearing set and wasn't sure if it was an upgrade or just oe stuff. also, do the 7* hub carriers help anymore than stock? i understand how they work, but most of my option carriers have been closer to 20* than 7. thanks for any help!
-bryan

Last edited by bryco13; 06-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Default Re: Couple questions for the g made experts

Driveshafts! the stock ones are junk! Especially if you have any power at all.
flraptor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ordered the jun fac steel ones in addition to all the alum. bits. thanks man!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

couple of extra dog bones
weeble163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Stock parts to have extras of...

Wheel axle - GM5117

Front Portal Gear Shaft - GM51114

Counter gear - GM51204

Bevel Gear Set - GM51109

Front & Rear Portal Gear Sets

To replace things that are OE and no good...

ProTek 5x11x4mm bearings to replace stock 1150s

Traxxas 5x8x2.5mm Oilite Bushings to replace stock 850 bearings everywhere accept transmission.

Traxxas stub axles pins to replace stock ones that break instantly.

As for your question about the 7 degree chubs, I love them. When I added the adjustable upper link and adjustable link mount, there was far too much caster. The 7 degree fixed it perfectly so no fooling with links. Plus I really like the aluminum chubs period. My favorite upgrade was the Skid Plate. On my other crawlers I would always hate that my pumpkin would get scratched to hell and this solves that. Plus, I was amazed at how much it helped sliding over obstacles.
beardedstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah i had the aftermarket skid plate on my 1st one, so i made sure to add that to the list of goodies. i appreciate the help guys, i've been searching this section but all the mods and upgrades are so scattered, i was hoping there would have been a top stickied thread of r1 upgrades/mods. looks like some packages should be arriving this weekend, so after my comp on sat, i should be able to get it built or at least get it started. really looking forward to a build.
-bryan
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedstealth View Post

Wheel axle - GM5117

Front Portal Gear Shaft - GM51114

Counter gear - GM51204

Bevel Gear Set - GM51109

Front & Rear Portal Gear Sets

Traxxas 5x8x2.5mm Oilite Bushings to replace stock 850 bearings everywhere accept transmission.

I have just ordered my R1 from CKRC. From reading around the forum I see that the bearings are a high failure item. I want to replace with a better quality bearing but I was wondering what is the count on the 5x8 and 5x11 respectfully?
Thanks!
Crawlerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Well I guess I should've went a few more post's down the search page I think I found my answer here
Crawlerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here is the GMade R1 PDF manual.
850 = 22
1150 = 14

51114/51117 - Get 4 of these as back-ups unless you decide to change to CVD/XVD axles. (Mod thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerfiend View Post
I have just ordered my R1 from CKRC. From reading around the forum I see that the bearings are a high failure item. I want to replace with a better quality bearing but I was wondering what is the count on the 5x8 and 5x11 respectfully?
Thanks!

Last edited by offroadace; 01-14-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added XVD Mod thread link
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

If you end up working on the trans/belly area this skid plate mounting is horrible. I modded it by drilling out 2 additional holes in the base-plate and threading into it directly and not dealing with the trans mounting screws, I left those stock. It was just a PITA to get everything aligned all the way through to the trans.

I also added the Axle Skid plates F/R.

Quote:
My favorite upgrade was the Skid Plate. On my other crawlers I would always hate that my pumpkin would get scratched to hell and this solves that. Plus, I was amazed at how much it helped sliding over obstacles.

Last edited by offroadace; 01-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I dig this idea. I'll have to get some of these and replace the bearings that seem to wear out REALLY FAST!!

Quote:

Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thread, I was about to order some hop up items from Junfac and was wondering what spares to get at the same time.

Wouldn't seal 5x8 bearings be better then bushings? I can't see them lasting that long in the axles. I would imagine they see almost the same load as the transmission bearings.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
Hey folks, long story short, a while back i sold my r1, and have missed it ever since. recently i was thinking of buying some sort of buggy or wraith for just a fun side project. i found that r1's were readily available along w/ a lot of hop ups that weren't around when i had mine. i recently ordered a r1 kit and delrin skid plate to inboard the links. i'm also looking into picking up all the upgrades made by gmade for the rig (link mounts, carriers, bent links, etc.). SO, when i bought my last one, it was already assembled, and had some mods done. i'm just wondering what spares to pick up, what breaks easily, and do they come with bearings or bushings in the kit? i only ask cause they sell a complete bearing set and wasn't sure if it was an upgrade or just oe stuff. also, do the 7* hub carriers help anymore than stock? i understand how they work, but most of my option carriers have been closer to 20* than 7. thanks for any help!
-bryan

Awesome post. Weird thing is, I sold mine last spring and regretted it ever since. I just ordered a new one last Sunday and can't wait for it to get here!! RC Planet has them for 255.00 free shipping and free Junfac driveshafts. I am starting with the delrin center skid. I'm debating on shocks right now too.
Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytogen View Post
Awesome thread, I was about to order some hop up items from Junfac and was wondering what spares to get at the same time.

Wouldn't seal 5x8 bearings be better then bushings? I can't see them lasting that long in the axles. I would imagine they see almost the same load as the transmission bearings.
I was just thinking the same thing... And the oillite's usually collect alot of dust because the impregnated with oil with no seals...
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure it's been thought before...how about sealing up the axle and fill the thing up with hypoid oil. should extend the life of everything in the axle. More drag and weight but... Pros and cons to everything.

Just thinking out loud.. Lol
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
ahhh S^*T

bushings are the only way to go. on the smaller portel gears only place I needed them.
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

So in regards to the web links you posted here for the bearings is one package of each enough to replace all bearings in the r1?
bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Couple questions for the g made experts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a couple of scx10 vids i made ax10newguy Scale Videos! 3 07-01-2010 04:57 PM
I want one. A couple questions though. fusebmx13 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 01-09-2009 01:22 PM
couple questions octigonwallrus Newbie General 2 04-30-2006 10:49 PM
Couple videos of our nylints & home-made course... jeepin_junkie Videos! 9 02-11-2006 05:27 PM
Couple Questions Skratch General Crawlers 20 09-04-2004 10:10 AM