Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor.

I currently have a 17.5 sensored brushless in my r1, however I would like to have a no fuss waterproof rig so I am going back to a brushed motor and new sidewinder esc and the waterproof hi-tech servo. What turn brushed motor should I go to? I don't do much actual crawling I prefer some trails and hillclimbs along with playing in the snow.

OR

Is there a reasonably priced waterproof sensored brushless esc and waterproof 17.5 sensored motor combo you can recommend?

I've read that the issues with sensored brushless motors and water is the sensor ring, any truth to this or are they all basically "ok" with water? I don't plan on submerging this thing but do want to go play in the snow and not have to worry about anything.
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

So in doing some digging and math I believe a 35t brushed motor on 3s should be roughly comparable to the 17.5t brushless I was using in 2s. I figure I will experiment with cheap silver cans untill I find the balance I'm looking for and then get a nice rebuild able one in that spec.

My reasoning and math...

Current brushless motor 17.5t (1870kv) 1870x7.4=13838

35t brushed motor
1565x11.1=17371

I want to be as fast of faster than the brushless so I believe this should work out, if not I'll only be out the $10 rc4wd motor.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I like my 35 Turn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chesebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor.

I would just stay with the silver can motor when running in water and switch back to the brushless when you are not going to get it wet. Even brushed motors reallly don't like to be wet and its a lot cheap to wreck a silver can motor than a good one.

I have been using HH TrailMaster Sport motors for a get it wet throwaway motor.
Holmes Hobbies LLC
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I would just stay with the silver can motor when running in water and switch back to the brushless when you are not going to get it wet. Even brushed motors reallly don't like to be wet and its a lot cheap to wreck a silver can motor than a good one.

I have been using HH TrailMaster Sport motors for a get it wet throwaway motor.
Holmes Hobbies LLC
The issue comes in when I can't find a sensored brushless esc. It currently has a MMP in it but that's destined for my losi scte so I don't want to mess with trying to waterproof it myself, I figured if I was buying a new esc and not dropping in whatever I had laying around I was going to get exactly what I want... Waterproof, I like the idea of the Novak products untill you realise you have to buy a $150 esc and then a $100 motor to make it work correctly in a crawler and then the reviews aren't that great, F-that! I figure I'll end up getting the sidewinder sct edition and then I'll have that nice 1410 3800kv motor with fan/schroud as a swap option in my sct, a waterproof esc and then I think I'm going with the a Savox SW-0231MG servo. I don't plan on submerging my rig, most it will get wet is some puddle splash and snow running, sadly that is more than enough to completely fry a MMP or any other non water resistant/proof electronics.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Got everything but my new waterproof Savox servo, have the sidewinder sct installed minus it's fan (not waterproof and probably not necessary) wired up to an Atomic RC 35t motor running on 3s, love it! Great speed and is still capable of crawling around. Now I just need the front axle battery mount, new smaller 3s lipo, and a bec and I'll be good to go! I like knowing that when this motor dies I can get a good quality serviceable motor and I will like the speed/crawlability of the 35t.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Finally got my waterproof Savox servo, to my delight it will not require a bec. I think the only thing the stock Gmade r1 tires are good for are shallow snow, those tires actually do really good untill the snow gets deep or I'm trying to conquer a steep snowbank! Time for some boggers or sand paddles.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor.

How do you like the new savox servo? Does it have enough torque? Which model is it?
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
How do you like the new savox servo? Does it have enough torque? Which model is it?
So far I like it, it's the SW-0231MG. Plenty or torque for my use (snow, trail running, Hill climbs) the only negative thing I can say about it is that it is a smidge larger than the R1 was designed to accept (dremel time!) and the wires for it are just barely long enough to make it to my rx in the stock electronics tray. I'll post a pic a little later.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm running a HHP BRXL and TorqueMaster 13T on 3s in my R1 and love it so far. Speed and great crawling control.

Good luck with your new set up.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I may be joining the portal haters club very soon! I can't keep these Damn things alive through one run! First it was the dog bones up front (fixed with wheely king mod) and now it's a Friggen bearing failure that took out a set of front portal gears! GRRRRRRRRRR!

*edit* the axle housing and chub are also trashed.

Last edited by Wehan; 01-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I run portals, and they have not failed me! I beat the hell out of my r1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesebro View Post
I run portals, and they have not failed me! I beat the hell out of my r1

I plan on replacing each and every bearing in my rig and using a good marine grade grease to top it all off with. If they fail after that I'm ditching them.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehan View Post
I plan on replacing each and every bearing in my rig and using a good marine grade grease to top it all off with. If they fail after that I'm ditching them.

Good approach, good luck!

They should be good to you after that

Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another how to waterproof brushless sensored motor question bro_die Electronics 17 05-04-2014 05:13 PM