Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking about getting Komodo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #21

Default Re: Thinking about getting Komodo

I don't have a Komodo, but I love my two Sawbacks. I'm a big proponent of them. Just ask the guys in my little crawling group. I built mine two out of the box. One has been run for a couple of years with no breakages other than bent leaf springs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
Yeah, the stock ESC/Motor combo is bound to give out fairly easily. The Long CVD's either from GPM or Junfac are prone to failure if your hard on the truck, either that or I am just having really bad luck. Stock tires, yeah, they do not hold onto the bead well at all, I would think you could keep the stock tires but would need new wheels to deal with the bead. Any tires that are taller than stock you will start to get body rub. Also you may want to get some green (forget the name of it) but it helps seal up the shocks so they don't leak quite as badly plus using teflon tape on the threads and your shocks should leak a lot less (same really for most any shocks). Actually about to try and sell mine here shortly as I need some more Cash for other endeavors such as my Florida Vacation in a month .

Overall it isn't a bad truck, just needs some TLC and some mods here and there.

Also might want to look at getting the Team KNK Hardware for the rig. Hex screws are a bit easier to work with than Phillips Head on trucks such as these.
Thx Malickie,

I have not ordered parts yet but will probably use rcrun.com as they are in the us.

Cheers!
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I would of bought both too!! I've only had mine a few weeks, but I did some testing over the weekend. It's the kit version, set up as the manual suggested. I made a few changes, first one and most noticeable, it needs low weight. I already had the g-made axle tubes in it, (I don't like doing to many changes at once, it's to hard to tell what worked). I'm testing tomorrow, the new wheels/tires with 2.75 oz. in each tire and I also changed my shocks (G-Transitions) to full droop. They had the long spring above the piston, short one below the piston. I removed the long spring all together and put the small spring above the piston w/30 wt oil. I'm not 100% if the G-Transtion shocks will droop properly, but I figured I would try the cheap way first.

The stock setup is a good starting point, I don't think it will need much to work good, the bigger problem is the driver. An easy mod is the R1 gear mod, Jeepiac has a great how to thread in here, UD/OD make a huge difference.

Last edited by mHoups; 04-13-2017 at 12:56 AM.
mHoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Thx mHoups. I have an od/ud in 2 of my mini losi crawlers & love it. I'll try to find Jeepiac's post.

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

here is a link to Jeepiac's over drive/under drive posting for putting R1 gears in front axle of Komodo. Thx to mHoups & Jeepiac.

Overdrive your sawback

R1 gear set $8.10 http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=284

Cheers!

Last edited by Snipervision; 04-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Anyone have a suggestion for brushed motor?
Was thinking HH 35t 540 crawlmaster TrailMaster Sport 540 - TrailMaster Series - Brushed Motors - Motors
+ Hobbywing Quicrun 1080P on 3S. Just thinking about spending a little more on motor but want to stick with brushed due to mud & water.
Thoughts?

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Komodo is a great scale rig. Have one and a Sawback. Of the 2 I'll take one of the 4 link setups like the Komodo any day. My SCX will out crawl both though. I am running 35T setups in both. Biggest issue I have is with the body dragging. Relocated battery to front. Broke the Junfac CVDs and am trying the GPM versions Everything else is reliable.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
here is a link to Jeepiac's over drive/under drive posting for putting R1 gears in front axle of Komodo. Thx to mHoups & Jeepiac.

Overdrive your sawback

R1 gear set $8.10 Bevel Gear Set (32T/17T) [GM51109] : JunFac.com

Cheers!
Anytime man, I'm glad I could help! He and I went crawling last weekend testing the changes I made, droop set-up on g-transtions and raised the rear links on the rear axle 7mm (no particular reason other than I had two that small ). I have to say, the thing crawled crazy good, stock Ascender wheels, no weights just juntac front axle tubes. The most recent mod I did was for the steering, Junfac CVD's (the stock shafts will break at a harsh angle), I clearanced the knuckles to get a better radius, haven't tested it yet but I will check back in and let you know how it went.

BTW, how are your rigs coming along?
mHoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #29
RCC Addict

The aftermarket axle trusses are a worthwhile addition also. It seemed to give the suspension a little more flex. They also add a little bling to the axles.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I had the same issues with the Junfac Long CVD's and GPM same thing. Still have yet to find a fix for it. Hopefully mHoups idea will deal with the issue. Until than front axle is in disrepair though as I need to sell the vehicle I may just stick the dog bones back in and call it a day.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Went to a swap meet 2 weeks or so ago and bought another Losi Comp Crawler with dig & ready to rock so we now have 2 of same that can run in 2.2 sporty & 2.2 pro class. This ate up a little of my play money. Today I just ordered the following which I will add to my Kit Kmodo. Bought from Junfac & Amazon.

1 x Clamp Type Aluminum 12mm Wheel Hub (4) (10mm Thick) (GM70273)

1 x Aluminum Servo Plate for GS01 Axle (GM52123S)

1 x Aluminum Zero Ackerman Knuckle Arm (Silver) (2) (GM30003)

1 x Aluminum C-Hub Carrier (Silver) (2) for GS01 Axle (GM52120S)

1 x GS01 43mm bumper frame mount (J30004)

1 x Gmade 30004 Bent Front Steering Rods for Gma30003 Zero Ackerman Knuckle

1 x Gmade 52415 Rock Sliders 2 for Gs01 chassis Toy (for the RTR truck)

1 x Gmade 30031 GS01 Front Drive Long CVA Kit 2 for Komodo

Wanted to order more but that is my limit for now. I'll post up once I get parts.

Cheers!

Thinking about getting Komodo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with Komodo Scionizer07 G-Made Crawlers 4 04-13-2016 09:48 PM
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
komodo 2.2 bamaboy1992 General Crawlers 6 09-20-2011 10:03 PM
Komodo tutit 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-06-2009 06:04 PM