Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: changing the wheelbase ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: changing the wheelbase ?

Hi! I just got my Sawbuck kit in the mail and was planning on shortening the wheelbase from the beginning as well. Maybe someone here can help me with this: It says, the Sawback's wheelbase is 287mm. The Proline Blazer is supposed to be 285mm. Looking yt your pictures one of the two numbers apparently is wrong right? Also later in post #18 the wheelbase is shortened to 11 3/8 inch. If I translate that to millimeter it equals 288mm (which is longer than the original)? Somehow my idea was to take out 17mm (equal to 2/3 inch I guess). Anyone an idea where the measuring went wrong?
BTW: Your Sawback / Blazer combo will look awesome!
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

the wheelbase of stock is 288mm

if you move the front solid shackle back a hole and flip the front ones , you get the needed 255.

ill update with a picture later on.

why my initials wheelbase seemed longer i do not know.

if you want to get 17mm , you will have to do some serious drilling. my goal was to do it without any, only had to do two in the end
atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks atf300! Thats good info - in the end I might rather stretch the bed of the pickup instead of shortening the wheelbase - who knows Looks like a rig that performs decent out of the box. Cannot wait to start on my build. Started with a Dingo half a year ago, now the shelf is full with unfinished projects - haha!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

here is how i got the required 285mm wheelbase for the K5 Blazer

on the front you move the rear fixed shackle back one hole and drill the other one , on the front front you flip the front shackle holder so it points backwards, you also flip the shackle , if that does not provide the desired wheelbase , remove the leafs and bend them together a bit , you can also do that on the back.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

dropped the body to the proper level , now i can't decide , cut the front fender are to open it up in the front or get some smaller tires something in the range of Prowler XS.

what do you guys think ? lets hear your thoughts and cut ideas if you are for the cutting.

i mocked up the nose today with the clodbuster front , it looks rather nice.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

smaller tires might look too small maybe. I say get some fender flares and cut out the wells a bit
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Is your goal to capture the look of a daily driver or a full-on, off-road rig?

If you really want it to look like a proper 1:1 scale, then I'd say you need smaller wheels and tires - something that will tuck into the wheel wells and not scrub under load. If you want to have good performance I think you're going to need to cut the front fender. Push down with the wheels left, right and center and decide what you can accept.

Since you are speculating so much on this dilemma, I get the feeling that you want it to look just right and plan to either drive it really carefully and slow - avoiding rocks against the body - or you'd like to have a shelf queen that looks beautiful in your office. I'm not knocking you either way because I often wish that I could preserve the perfect state of completion on my own rigs and always cringe during my first scrape or roll-over.

That is just my $.02 and probably didn't help much.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Looks good even for a chev! Lol are you ever going to finish it?
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
Looks good even for a chev! Lol are you ever going to finish it?
any day now :P
also the slow progress because of lack of funds

im set on the cutting , just browsing the net for an inspiration now.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't cut it yet and wait until you have the funds for another set of wheels
Have the same dilemma of wanting it to look just right but also be capable. I ended up with now several rigs because I wanted one that looks like the real thing (still working on the perfect axle width for my Fall Guy GMC and one that performs very well (which is an almost stock Dingo).
In your case i would go for the scale look, since the Sawback and its leaf springs might not take hard abuses offroad in the long run.
I bet that body looks great with some smaller 1.55 steelies and wheels not bigger than 100mm diameter - as Alpha Male stated - that tuck into your fenders.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

the cutting will happen, the look i want is the weekend warrior, so a full size off roader for the weekend . the tires that are on are 105mm, an to get them to tuck in i would need new wheels as well , so its not going to happen. first im going to chop 10mm of the front , then work from there . i don't have that much articulation so no drastic cutting will be required.

thanks for the help from you all .

now to think up some body posts/mount

Last edited by atf300; 01-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.

changing the wheelbase ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changing the wheelbase of a Axial dingo to the same as the honcho CUMMINSPOWER617 Axial SCX-10 16 11-08-2011 10:25 PM
changing TQ duke4you Newbie General 2 11-05-2008 06:30 AM
changing username? stublet Comments, Suggestions, and Help 6 08-16-2008 07:04 AM
changing over jakea General Crawlers 4 07-11-2007 01:48 PM
changing your name Crawler downunder Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 06-23-2006 07:52 AM