Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #1

Default Sawback Bronco

Hi everybody, this is my first real time posting but I've been a long time lurker on the sight.. Anyways I figured I'd share my build because it might help someone somewhere. I actually saw someone on here has a very similar build to mine but he ended up using the Vaterra Bronco. I actually think I'm gonna try using my old Sawback body for a better interior like he did... anyways here's what I have. It started out a regular Sawback but then I added a CMS steering setup, the RC4WD steering stabilizer, front 4 link suspension to better resemble a 1:1 Bronco, and the GMADE anti-wrap kit. I bought the RC4WD wagon wheels but they don't want to work with my tires so I'm gonna have to buy some new tires to justify my new wheels so I'm open to suggestions haha... My future upgrades include using an Axial transmission because I hate the loud GMADE one and possibly R1 axles but I don't know its just an idea.. Other than that also some axle tubes and get some better steering out of it. after that I think I'm going to have a very capable rig that can keep up with the best of them. I'm thinking about competing this year and running this as a C2. I've never comped before so it'll definitely be a good experience and a good way to meet new people. If anyone knows of any groups around Shreveport let me know.. anyways enough with the talk. here are the pictures

Toying around with the idea of a rear winch

Enjoy
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sawback Bronco

RC4WD does make what they call proline rings for their wheels. I think a set is around $12. Way cheaper than a new set of tires. Great looking rig, by the way.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice! I was thinking about converting the front to 4 link too. im so new to this so im just wondering what you had to do. do you need to add anything to the axle to mount the links? from what ive seen they just replace the rollers on the skid plate correct?
also got any pics of the transmission and how its mounted?
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
RC4WD does make what they call proline rings for their wheels. I think a set is around $12. Way cheaper than a new set of tires. Great looking rig, by the way.
Bronco looks awesome! Vanquish 1.9 rings work too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:37 AM   #5

Nice ride man
konasubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I might end up going down that route. maybe I'll try a set of Axial Trepadors
I have laying around, who knows? Thanks by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
nice! I was thinking about converting the front to 4 link too. im so new to this so im just wondering what you had to do. do you need to add anything to the axle to mount the links? from what ive seen they just replace the rollers on the skid plate correct?
also got any pics of the transmission and how its mounted?
Hey, I just bought the komodo links and shocks and that's all that I needed. I will mention that they dont come with rod ends so if you dont have any lying around you'll need them. other than that its bolt on... I still havent mounted the transmission, I havent gotten around to the metals shop to have them make me a plate but I'll put pictures up when I do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bronco looks awesome! Vanquish 1.9 rings work too.
Thanks, I might look into them

Quote:
Originally Posted by konasubs View Post
Nice ride man
Thanks, it means a lot
Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Alright, small update. I was tired of looking at my new RC4wd wheels so I baked the Trepadors off of my SCX10 and they went on like butter! I also like the way they look on the Bronco so I'll try them out and see how they work with this truck. If not I think I am going to get some 1.55 Rock Stompers just because I absolutely love the way they look and they'd compliment the Bronco. Two things I'm not completely happy with are the top and the front bumper. I have never worked with styrene but I'd like to try and build a hard top or possibly pay someone to make one for me so if anyone knows anyone in the east Texas area let me know haha and the front bumper works but I'd like to build something like the Bronco I have pictured below. Also the rear bumper gets the job done but I'd like a swing away tire carrier so I am going try my hand at making one as well. Anyways I got some outside pics so enjoy!

Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Your Bronco will perform much better with different tires. The Trepadors, especially if they're not R35 compound, are not the greatest tires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
I have nothing to add other than I made my sawback as a bronco as well - love them bronco's!

I have to take some finished pics of it now.

That looks really great Alex! I love a Bronco, I'm excited to see how yours turns out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Your Bronco will perform much better with different tires. The Trepadors, especially if they're not R35 compound, are not the greatest tires.
Yeah I think I'm going to end up getting somme 1.55 Rock Stompers. The Trepadors are all I really have at the moment. I'm kind of annoyed I bought the 1.9 Wagon Wheels and I'm going to end up shelling out another $40 for some 1.55s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILER View Post
WOW- that's all I've got.
I appreciate it!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Small update. I did end up swapping the Gmade tranny for a spare AX10 tranny because that dang Gmade is so loud. I took some pics for anyone interested. It really wasnt that hard. Just had a spare piece of aluminum that I cut out the size of the skid and drilled some holes. Works really good. The rear driveshaft is a little steep for my liking so I'll address that later, it doesn't bind so I guess it's not a priority. I've got a line on a Gelande 2 kit for $100 so if I pick that up I might be trying to stuff the tranny/transfercase into it but we'll see. I'm not super happy with the paint on this body so I'm going to keep it as a basher. I'm going to get a spare and make sure the paint comes out good this time and try my hand at a hard top. I've got my Sawback interior that I'll stuff in it and try some hidden body mounts. There's also an interesting 3d printed grill someone on these forums makes for this HPI body so I'll definitely be getting one. Here's the link for anyone interested

Early Bronco grill for HPI '73 Bronco Lexan body (43YSCXPSW) by darrelldelrosario

Still haven't gotten a chance to really trail with it. I'm still new to Shreveport so I don't have any good spots. I did snap some pics of it with some sand paws on it. I just threw them on to look at it and it didn't look half bad, but not staying. Here are the pics

Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

im interested in seeing how a tranny/transfer case fits... DO IT! lol
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sawback Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sawback Vaterra Bronco fxman G-Made Sawback 48 04-27-2016 09:49 AM
Sawback v4.0 Bronco stevem50 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 12-06-2015 08:50 PM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM