Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing Axles Question (Noob)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Hot Racing Axles Question (Noob)

Has anyone tried/tested or held these clod based axles before?

http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=CB12X08&c=38

I'm a newbie and i'm starting a clod build right now but i'm taking it slow and looking at all the options out there. Feedback appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Yup - I've been running those in my comp rig for about 6 months now - I like them a lot - the only thing I changed from stock is to add Berg steel lockers to replace the alum. stock ones. If you get them - take them completly apart and locktite everything.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawzer View Post
Yup - I've been running those in my comp rig for about 6 months now - I like them a lot - the only thing I changed from stock is to add Berg steel lockers to replace the alum. stock ones. If you get them - take them completly apart and locktite everything.
Those are not the 2.2 axles.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Those are different than the Ax10 HR onboard power axles. They are Clod/Super sized. I wouldnt be the first to buy em. Wait for someone else to spend the money and write a review then make a decision... IMHO, of course..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

For the price of a complete axle set, it's not bad. I'm not sure how new/old these axles have been on the market, but i haven't seen a build using them yet.

My build (still under planning stages) will be that of a Dorkstar chassis w/ 4 link droop suspension and 4WS (2 ESC's driven by 4 channel radio).

Another option I have would be:

It's very pricey for one set. approx $50 more for each axle.

I know I could go with the stock axles and build from there, but I want to strengthen it from the start. Been sleeping really late these days just reading and looking at different builds.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i dont have the complete axle but i do run the hr tubes on my clod.. i like them alot. the come with bearings where the knuckles twist for easier turning. but honestly its not worth the moey for the complete axle IMHO. your better off with stock clod gearcases and gears, CPE locker, hr tubes, and jp knuckles. ive been running mine with that same setup with issues
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #7

What I liked when I saw the axle in the first post is that it also comes with the steering linkages and servo mount all in one axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
i dont have the complete axle but i do run the hr tubes on my clod.. i like them alot. the come with bearings where the knuckles twist for easier turning. but honestly its not worth the moey for the complete axle IMHO. your better off with stock clod gearcases and gears, CPE locker, hr tubes, and jp knuckles. ive been running mine with that same setup with issues
Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
What I liked when I saw the axle in the first post is that it also comes with the steering linkages and servo mount all in one axle.
i wouldnt suggest basing your purchase on that! that is a very xpensive setup jus to get a cheap servo mount and some links that are so easy to make and dont cost much at all!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I like the fact that the SUPERS are getting some new options. Maybe the manufacturers are taking notice. I HOPE
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #10

I agree, it's expensive. My curiosity on this axle is just that. curiosity. I'm the type who values "time and tested" over "new and un-tested".

I also understand that some mods to stock clods can already make it bulletproof. I'm waiting on stock clod axles on ebay and i'm definitely going to upgrade it. On reading, I learned a lot like Alum Tubes, Knuckles w/ increased steering ability, and etc.

As for steering, I might go w/ RC4WD's steering kit. If you know of any DIY for the steering, I would like to read about it.

I shall be doing some cost analysis and
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
i wouldnt suggest basing your purchase on that! that is a very xpensive setup jus to get a cheap servo mount and some links that are so easy to make and dont cost much at all!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

just search for making links... its super easy. i went to local hydraulic line co. and got 1/4" stainless tube and put 8/32 allthread through it and put revo rod ends on. they work great and slide on rocks really well. its on my super. here it is....took the clods out to belle island today

its the black hummer