Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lightweight battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lightweight battery

Has anybody put lithium polymer batteries in one of these tanks yet? I found a Thunder Power 11.1V 2100Ah battery that would save 3.1 pounds. The catch is, max discharge is rated at 31.5A continuous and 50A peak.

Does anybody have a clamp meter to see how many amps the 1:6 Nylints pull under a load?

I think a little foam would be more than enough to keep the battery happy. I use lipo's in an electric plane and the small batteries have survived many a crash.
slagburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

65 views- and no one has a clamp meter to check the amp draw? If I can get ahold of that number, I'll find something to work and report back.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Being that the stock battery is rated at only 4.5 AH, if the amp draw was 4.5 Amps then it would discharge within 1 hour of continuous use. Since many people are posting that they have ridiculously long run times it's safe to conclude that the draw is less than 4.5 A. Safe for the Lipo's rating of 35 Amps continuous.

...Papewayo
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

After further reading I've read that on average the run times for continuous use are 2 - 2.5 hours. Some have gone as long as three hours but I'm guessing that's a lot of stop and go.

At a two hour run time the amperage draw would be approx 2.25 amps or 2250 milliamps. At a 2.5 hour run time the amp draw drops to 1.8 amps or 1800 ma.

Being that these vehicles are geared so low, there is not much stress put on the motors and consequently very little amp draw is experienced. It's almost as if the motors were running with no load on them. It would be pretty difficult to fry one.

That's some amazing engineering.

...Papewayo
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I found a Jeep 1/8 scale with a 12V battery and a pretty sweet body on E-bay. They want 39.99 for it, but the battery, battery charger, and the body might be worth that to some one. It looks like the battery is a lot smaller and lighter then the Nylint.

Just an idea. I know this RC is crap, but that battery wouldn't take up any room. You cound just order the battery also. Link below..
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-R-C-RADIO-CON...QQcmdZViewItem
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #6

I think the stock battery is fine. The run times are awesome, and the extra weight is more of an advantage than disadvantage because it makes the suspension work properly and tires bite. I think some of you are overthinking this RC's purpose, most of you already have professional grade crawlers anyway right? I'm all for tweaking, but maybe you should keep some sort of perspective...
TEAMFX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMFX3
I think the stock battery is fine. The run times are awesome, and the extra weight is more of an advantage than disadvantage because it makes the suspension work properly and tires bite. I think some of you are overthinking this RC's purpose, most of you already have professional grade crawlers anyway right? I'm all for tweaking, but maybe you should keep some sort of perspective...
well unless you decide to do a tummy tuck i wouldnt mess with the battery either but a smaller battery would be awsome on a tummy tucked rig
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I plan on doing a Nylint with a tummy tuck with a smaller lighter battery and a Lexan Jeep body. And adding BB's to the tires to help with COG. This should help with the life of these things. Thats my goal anyway.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

has anyone tried putting 2 standard packs in series? alot faster to charge and cheap and light
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafey
has anyone tried putting 2 standard packs in series? alot faster to charge and cheap and light
How do you run them in series? Do you mean run 2 6V's to make a 12V. If that is what your talking about. I have thought of that. Just didn't know how well it would work.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would think that one could get away with 2/3 A cells on this truck, I plan to replace heavy battery and body first on mine.

Last edited by floogldood; 11-26-2005 at 10:29 AM.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

12V battery Help !
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
How do you run them in series? Do you mean run 2 6V's to make a 12V. If that is what your talking about. I have thought of that. Just didn't know how well it would work.
To put batts in series they should be configured -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ and so on until all cells are together.

2 std (6 cell) packs will be around 18 volts (just right )
Old 11-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default amps?

Can someone list the max amp draw in lo and high or maybe just an average?

thanks, possibly a total mah divided by runtime will give me an average too.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogldood
2 std (6 cell) packs will be around 18 volts (just right )
Wrong, 2 standard 6 cell stick packs would be 12 cells @ 1.2v (each cell) = 14.4v total.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Nominal voltage of nickle cells is 1.2 that is for discharged ones and charged ones go over 1.4,

I used 1.5 . that was a mistake. It depends on when you measure, as slow as this truck goes I think they'll always be over 1.2. I am thinking ove getting away with AA's in low gear? what you think? How much ruintime do you get w/ the sub C?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMFX3
I disagree. That's basically what a lot of people were saying on Pirate about, oh, 6 years ago. It's been pretty well established by now that a lighter rig climbs better. Physics is physics.. if it's true for the full size stuff, it's true to scale as well.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #18

slagburn i would not completly agree with that, were i do agree all things being equal yes a lighter rig would be better, but not nessacarly climb better, theres alot of things like contact pressure, spring rates, cog that all come in to play, Im new at the rc crawling but have been doing 1:1 for years, i do remmber this debate a few years back on the pirate board. but a garantee you that properly placed weight will make your rig a better climber. Next time your out playing with your rc and you climbing something and get to a spot were all tire are spinning but it just wont climb, go over and place your hand on the front and just put a little down pressure on it and watch it climb right up it. Or a place were it wants to pick up the front wheels a little put a little weight on the front bumper and it will keep the front tires down. I used to have this problem on my 1:1 when I streched my wheel base out to 106 in and when i would climb things that had a ledge at the top my front tires would crest over and wouldnt be able to pull the rest up, my problem was that with my front axle moved out my front springs would unload and didnt have enough pressure{weight over the tires} on the front to pull up, I moved my axle back 2 in{which put the weight back over the top of the tires} and the thing climbed like a mountain goat. point being that weight can deffintetly be an advantage if its in the right place.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #19
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalfloss
slagburn i would not completly agree with that, were i do agree all things being equal yes a lighter rig would be better, but not nessacarly climb better, theres alot of things like contact pressure, spring rates, cog that all come in to play, Im new at the rc crawling but have been doing 1:1 for years, i do remmber this debate a few years back on the pirate board. but a garantee you that properly placed weight will make your rig a better climber. Next time your out playing with your rc and you climbing something and get to a spot were all tire are spinning but it just wont climb, go over and place your hand on the front and just put a little down pressure on it and watch it climb right up it. Or a place were it wants to pick up the front wheels a little put a little weight on the front bumper and it will keep the front tires down. I used to have this problem on my 1:1 when I streched my wheel base out to 106 in and when i would climb things that had a ledge at the top my front tires would crest over and wouldnt be able to pull the rest up, my problem was that with my front axle moved out my front springs would unload and didnt have enough pressure{weight over the tires} on the front to pull up, I moved my axle back 2 in{which put the weight back over the top of the tires} and the thing climbed like a mountain goat. point being that weight can deffintetly be an advantage if its in the right place.
Give that guy a beer!

I totally agree.

I think the term "lighter" is taken different ways by different people. Lighter overall isn't good with RC crawlers, you need some weight. Where you put it makes a HUGE difference.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The reason almost all comp. rigs and even some trail rigs are going lighter is the fact of trying to getting drivetrain to last longer. A Tuber with dana 60's with custom outers and 40 spline shafts will last longer then a rig with a full frame and body. It also keeps COG down lower. There are even some comp rigs running water in their tires.