Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

View Poll Results: should i get into RC Crawling?
Yes 104 88.89%
No 13 11.11%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: it getting into RC Crawling worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Once you are in you are hooked. Open wallet and waych the cash fly out
WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
if you have to ask then your answer is probably no
x2.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
I voted no. I'm only on here to find fellow knitters (and haven't found a forum for it yet)

Anybody want to make some sweaters this week?
Where have you been hiding all this time.
I have been posing as a crawler all this time and really wanting to just find another knitter also. GOD! I'm so missing a good sit down knitting partner.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
Coral Crawler

Let me put my knitting needle down for a minute. Pretty sound advice for you so far. This can be a pretty "do as you do" trial by error type hobby. You'll wind up as one who loves to crawl but hates to get into the fabrication, heavy wrenching side. One who might enjoy crawling and trail riding but really love "the build" side more, or hopefully love both sides of the hobby. The hardest thing you are going to do in this hobby is what you are doing now, keeping the wallet in you're pocket and the finger off the PayPal button. No matter how well you research you will still have problems/repairs and some mistakes, general newbie stuff we all went through.

You however have started off on the right foot by jumping in and asking questions. You really need to spend more than a week or two surfing. It will take a while to learn the ropes as far as products, terminology, build ideas, how everything works (electronics, batteries, suspensions, motors, etc.) etc., and most importantly, how you make them work together.

The good thing is this is the place to learn before spending. Most of what you read/see here are trucks built on mistakes since this hobby started off with virtually no true crawling/scale products everyone created their own from their imagination and whatever could be found/made that worked. Now there is a huge market which, however, can be daunting to a beginner just stepping in.

This site as well as a few others have an unimaginable amount of information within them that I would recommend spending NO LESS than a full month doing heavy research on. Look at everything and not just the new posts and builds, go back to older threads and videos, look at everything.

As mentioned above watch as many videos as you can on here, the other sites and get lost in the YouTube vids. Go to all of the sellers sites and threads both individual/small up to larger companies and look at all of their product lines. You'll get an idea of what type of rig you need to start off with that will suit you're tastes.

A 2.2 size truck would be a good start instead of a 1.9. The larger tires and suspension travel will give you more versitility when it comes to terrain and crawling locations (obstical size, trail, rock, mud or sand) based on you're surrounding geography. Start off with something that has good aftermarket and manufacturer product lines as you are more than likely not going to leave it stock for long. As with all hobbies/sports it can and usually does become very addictive.

I would hold off on the "Sale" section (gotta pay to get that option up but WELL worth it) for you're first purchase. Someone else's rig will give you some great ideas sometimes, things you haven't thought of coming from another persons build perspective. There are always some great trucks popping up in there both fully ready to run or minus electronics, batteries, etc. You can, however, run into problems as a beginner based on the complexity of that particular seller's build and deffective/worn/unseen broken parts. If you are not familar with how to repair of fix any problems that could arise from someones elses build it could become discouraging to some.

Doing the research will help you with you're buying judgement. Never be intimidated to ask questions even if you get ribbed about it, lol. Also look in the regional section and see if you are near any fellow crawlers who get together even if you have to travel a little far if you can. Nothing better than the "being there in person" perspective.

Great start so far and welcome to a very rewarding and fun hobby. Research research research. Remember, You gotta crawl before you walk, lol.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
Where have you been hiding all this time.
I have been posing as a crawler all this time and really wanting to just find another knitter also. GOD! I'm so missing a good sit down knitting partner.

JC
Sweet I'm loading up the needles for tomorrow
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Do it!!!
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #27

Kevin,
the Losi MRC isn't a bad choice if you have no other R/C equipment. The smaller size can be a bit limiting but you'll always find fun terrain for it. Especially all those rocks that are too small or unstable for biketrials. You'll find no limit to the stuff you can crawl with it at IOCO (I can't remember if you ride there much outside of comps). If you do end up using it a lot, expect to spend another $100 in upgrades as things wear out or break. The stock shocks are notorious for breaking.

I usually have mine with me, check it out at the next CPTA.

Felix
derangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangboy View Post
Kevin,
the Losi MRC isn't a bad choice if you have no other R/C equipment. The smaller size can be a bit limiting but you'll always find fun terrain for it. Especially all those rocks that are too small or unstable for biketrials. You'll find no limit to the stuff you can crawl with it at IOCO (I can't remember if you ride there much outside of comps). If you do end up using it a lot, expect to spend another $100 in upgrades as things wear out or break. The stock shocks are notorious for breaking.

I usually have mine with me, check it out at the next CPTA.

Felix
Along with the stock lockers! not to mention the fake beadlocks are a joke other than that it's a great little rig!
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I voted no. I'm only on here to find fellow knitters (and haven't found a forum for it yet)

come join the fun!!!!

http://www.knittingforums.com/
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Default Hell Yeah!

Well lets see if you go to a forum where people talk about how much fun they have at doing RC Rock Crawling, and ask them would it be worth getting into the hobby ( what would they say ). More than likey the odds are going to be " YES YOU SHOULD ". That was a easy question to answer.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hell Yeah!!! When can we do a knitting GTG? I'm relieved to find I'm not the only one hiding out
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
next time post a warning, some people are @ work!
leftcoastminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I say yes. And you being into bike riding have to have some sort of mechanical inclination. Much like most hobbies you have to put the time in to learn about them to really enjoy them. Like most, most of my enjoyment comes from working on the rc cars. If its not broken I still tear it apart to find something better to do to it. you wouldn't buy a classic car if you did not intend on working on it. So going into this you have to ask yourself am I really going to want to fix this if it breaks? Anyone can learn how to work on an rc it is by far not rocket science, but there is a hell of a lot to learn if you want to really get into the hobby. So dont waste your money if you think it's something you will just loose intrest in. But I will tell you one thing, my mrc fits nicely into my backpack with my remote and when I go hiking and find a sweet spot all I have to do is pull it out. Where as a 2.2 wont fit in a smaller pack, and is a little more of a PITA to carry around. If in doubt buy one used, classifieds here or ebay or craigs. Good luck!
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Does cost even come into it ? The whole fun is taking something you've built and then destroying it on the rocks and then fixing it up with parts from something else to make it stronger. I buy a lot of Vintage RC cars and most come with spares and those spares make great donor parts.

But he biggest thing for me in this hobby is the friendship ! I was the only one I knew about that had a crawler and yes it was pretty boring after awhile crawling by yourself, but then I discovered someone else had one and he was like only an hour away so we got together for a crawl only to find there was 2 other guys who had em as well ! Now that 1st guy I met is my best friend ( more like the brother I never had ) we talk everyday and txt and we trade parts and crawlers and genarally help each other out, hell the guy brought me a Tamiya CR-01 crawler for all the stuff I had given him ! Thats why I like this hobby its unlike any other RC hobby I have been involved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper
if you have to ask then your answer is probably no

x2.

That I would have to disagree with, when your on a budget it pays to ask. Ive got RC cars I will never use again because I did'nt ask the obvious questions 1st and no ammount of changes will fix the problems.

From what I have seen of the MRC it looks like a fun rig and there are bound to be breakages. I have had my AX10 for 3 yrs now and I did the free mods and the only thing I have broken was a steering cup but that was only because it fell 10-15 feet of a rockface, my friend had a spare 10mins later it was back and running again !

Find like minded people and you will have fun with crawling but be warned it is addictive I currently have 2 crawlers and 7 trail rigs and a few more projects in the works
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

This hobby/sport is addictive. If you are a trials rider you most likely compete and if you plan to do that with a crawler you will spend lots of money to get the edge. I don't compete and I still have spent lots of money.

I have an AX-10 (2.2), Duratrax Cliff Climber (fully modded to a 2.2) and the Losi MRC (1.9). I love all my trucks for different reasons the 2.2's can go just about anywhere and the 1.9 is great for spots that are not much of a challenge for the 2.2's. During the long cold winter here I have a course set up in my shop for the 1.9 and I can crawl all year round. It has been said in prior posts but I will say it again, do your research and find what will be the best rig for your area, you don't want to make it hard to get out and find a place to crawl. Where I live there are not to many places to go so the 1.9 would really have been the best choice for me to keep it challenging.

For your first rig I would buy new so you know what the stock performance is like and then you can decide what you need to change to fit your needs. Not every rig will work great in all places. Again do some research, look for people in your area and talk to them and see what they are running and what they like and don't like. If this thread is not proof enough, crawlers are helpful people and love to talk about the hobby.

There are lots of products coming out on the market for this growing segment of the hobby, look for tried and true products that have a proven track record, and lots of info on here (RCC). Alot of companys have crawlers, and alot of them are not worth the money, so again, research the forums and (I hate to say it) follow the masses for a quality product. The Axial AX-10 and the Losi MRC are probably the most popular rigs out there and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #36

I'm gonna say yes, but if you cannot commit to something don't waste your time.
My brother thought it was cool, but never sticks to one hobby for more than a few months, built a crawler, spent over $1500 and eneded up selling it 1/3rd the price.
I personally like it, its fun, and a good time.
I've heard people say it's boring they are too slow.
So basically you have to decide for your self, almost everyone here will say do it (cause they like crawling) but you know your self best, so only you can make the choice!!
Well good luck if you do decide to crawl!
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

if you like real offroading you might wanna try building a scale crawler with 1.9 wheels i suggest going with a axial scx. build a comp crawler if you wanna compete but i fell in love with scale it just like the real thing especially when you get a abs plastic body its just make it more real than a lexan body. then you can get creative by adding scale accessories to it. just my 2cents
midship909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
If you have to ask then your answer is probably no

I agree
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

this will help you say yes. my Yoda and my buddies LR3
midship909 is offline   Reply With Quote