Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Belts slipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Belts slipping

Hey everyone, I just got my crawler running today after charging it and the rear belt is already slipping horribly whenever I approach any obstacle for the rear tires to climb it will squeel and not turn the tires. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks, Christian
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUJeeper
Hey everyone, I just got my crawler running today after charging it and the rear belt is already slipping horribly whenever I approach any obstacle for the rear tires to climb it will squeel and not turn the tires. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks, Christian
o-rings just go to a hardware sore and find one a bit smaller
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Do you know if they dealt with this problem with the new ugraded models? I know they "fixed" the steering supposedly, which would be nice since I can't turn the tires on carpet, lol.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Do you know if they dealt with this problem with the new ugraded models? I know they "fixed" the steering supposedly, which would be nice since I can't turn the tires on carpet, lol.
the ones on the upgraded chassis a re thicker but they still suck and wear out just as fast and the steering on mine has gone to crap
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You are in LOW when you are experiencing this squeal whilst trying to scale the obstacle yes?
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
They have added alittle bit bigger belts in the upgraded chassie but it really didn't help that much. O rings seem to work better. I put them in mine and it help more then the upgraded belts. Of course you know with solid non slipping belts you are more prone to break something else like a axle pin or a plastic gear. You fix one weak spot and a new one will pop up some where else. Pretty soon you will have everything beefed up and totally different from what was original.
Gary
Wildmania2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt
You are in LOW when you are experiencing this squeal whilst trying to scale the obstacle yes?
Yeah, it is when I am in low. But when I am in high and just hit the gas you can hear it squeal too. BTW, nice touch using whilst, I like when other people talk smart to sound different (like I do sometimes). Most people would probably think it was a typo.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmania2go
You fix one weak spot and a new one will pop up some where else. Pretty soon you will have everything beefed up and totally different from what was original.
Gary
Oh yeah, I know that effect for sure...sadly I learned it on my 1:1 wrangler...lol, that costs a little more than the nylint!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #9

use a hair tie from your girlfriend or go buy some. Make sure they are the thin ones with no metal pieces to attach the two ends. Then, use one of those for the fron plus the stock band out of the rock crawler. Use two hair ties and the existing band in the back. It's strong as hell and won't slip anymore.
afroman5379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

You are assuming we have girlfriends. ;)
datz510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I would like to see pics to help me fix mine. I have the upgraded chasis and it is slipping as-well. I don't understand what you mean by pany hair holder things. Please post pics. And for the record I have a girl friend but she never wears her hair up so I don't know if she has any.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #12

Rosey Palms doesn't count as a girlfriend.
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I figured all this out and now my crawler is awsome and I would not change back to the crappy factories at all.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I haven't torn into the axles yet. But is there a way one could out smaller pulley and then an even smaller O ring. This would make lower geared. Right. Just a thought. My not work.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Belt tensioner
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Mine started slipping the other day, pulled both out, hosed the belts and pulleys with brake cleaner, then ran the belts through some 200 grit sandpaper, hosed with cleaner again, put it back together, hell it work so well the high range had a higher top speed.

Cheap and easy, actually the factory belt design as a square works like a real v-belt in the way it contacts the pulleys...
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i snap orings, seems the gears in teh first gen chassis along with the steering belt were much better, second time around they got loosersteering belts to keep them from snapping.
Brian, aka XJFanatic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man
Rosey Palms doesn't count as a girlfriend.
Yeah, but if you get creative with those "hair ties", Rosey won't slip anymore either!
The Lyin' King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

oh the front belt is perfect to fit the rear axle
Brian, aka XJFanatic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well, I had a girlfriend up until about 2 weeks ago, guess it is back to rosy, she hasn't seen much action in the past 2 years, lol. I swapped in an O-ring and it helped a bit. Sadly my buddy sheared the pitman arm on the thing, so now I gotta fix that.