Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 90 degree portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 05:06 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Or maybe I'll post this instead. You get the general idea, and it only took 5 minutes. This is a top view cutaway. Gray is aluminum, two pieces bolted together, blue (or maybe it's purple, I can't tell) will be Maxx diff parts and U-joints, yellow (or green) is the pivot balls, black for the steering knuckle, pink for the wheel.

Links would attach directly to the aluminum plate, and you could join the plates for a SA setup or let them flop around indy style. Maxx diffs have a much better reduction than Tiger Drives.
Attached Images

microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #22

or i was thinking you might just make that the rear and have a normal clod axle or whatever up front. that probably doesnt make sense. and it wouldnt be as cool, but if you didnt want to dump more time or you happened have an axle lying around...
Iw/\s|3o|^|\/|_|_33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Or maybe I'll post this instead. You get the general idea, and it only took 5 minutes. This is a top view cutaway. Gray is aluminum, two pieces bolted together, blue (or maybe it's purple, I can't tell) will be Maxx diff parts and U-joints, yellow (or green) is the pivot balls, black for the steering knuckle, pink for the wheel.

Links would attach directly to the aluminum plate, and you could join the plates for a SA setup or let them flop around indy style. Maxx diffs have a much better reduction than Tiger Drives.
With that setup will you still get 90deg of steering rotation?
NeoSlayer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlayer888
With that setup will you still get 90deg of steering rotation?
If i drew it to scale, I'd know. This was just messing around with Paint. I think I'll have to make the axle shafts a bit longer to get proper steering, which will require standoffs for the pivot balls, longer axle shafts, etc. etc.

Maybe I'll cut a big 4-inch sun gear for each wheel and mount a motor directly to each knuckle. Eliminate the middleman. How's that for a nightmare?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote