Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Increased articulation ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Increased articulation ideas?

Does anyone have any clear photos of a suspension mod and explanation to make more articulation in the 1:6? Are there any ways improve shock length or longer shocks we could buy and install to create more flex?

Thanks for all of your help in advance! Love the forums!

Andy
cj4qts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Glad you like the forums. Just a quick FYI, the search function will really help you find info quickly.

As for increased flex, keep in mind that extreme articulation is not always a benifit. The amount of articulation you need really depends on what conditions you are driving in. If you are in a lot of off-camber situations, a lot of flex may actualy hinder performance. But it sure does look cool :-P That being said, here is a link to a thread where you can get a good look at how you can re-locate the stock shocks to give you some pretty good wheel trvel - link. Have fun with that Nylint!
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

no picks, but inboarding the rear shocks helps. theres a pic on here somewhere of it, if i find it, i will post it.

also, theres some tabs on the rear axle under where it pivots, cut them out (or drill tham out as i did....) and u will get a little more flex

up fornt is where it gets tricky....theres not much you can do except notch the axle where the blue pivot block hits it.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

^^ i wouldn't inboard them that far, it will ruin off camber situations.

i left my fronts in the stock place, and the rears are moved in about an inch on both sides.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

yea my rears are about and inch apart in the rear
Nylintjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

heres where mine are, this is not mine, its badgers

Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

and here's a shot from the top.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #8

Sorry about asking such a broad question. When I first found this site I did just a search for "Nylint" and came up with a bunch of postings. After doing some more digging I realized that there is a whole folder strictly for Nylint 1:6 crawlers. There I go thinking again...

Needless to say I found a bunch of postings there and have been reading about stock vs. modded suspensions. It's funny because reading about some people getting 11, 12, & 13" articulation made me wonder how much of a benefit it really is, considering too much is always not the best bet due to instability and tracking.

I am not looking to do too much body/driveline cutting and modification, but I am interested in a "lower shock mod" that I've been reading about. Is there a tremendous benefit to it and how do you do it?

On another note, is there a list of clubs state by state anywhere within this site? I live in Wisconsin and my 1975 CJ-5 (4" lift, locked front and rear, winch, Oldsmobile 330 V-8, 4 barrrel Holley, Turbo 400 automatic tranny, 3:73 gears, fiberglass tub with a full rollcage) is patiently sitting in my garage waiting for the snow to melt so I can get out and do some wheeling. This Nylint that I bought is taiming my withdrawals that I'm having until I can get out into the woods. A local club or group I could find would help even more with my addiction. I tried the drugs in the past, used to overuse the alcohol, and there is no better high you can get then building or modifying your 4x4 (wether it's 1:1, 1:6, 1:18 or any scale for that matter) to climb some of the things that we make then climb or go through. I love it!

Anyway, thanks for all of your help out there. God Bless.

Andy
cj4qts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

this is what i did rear shock mount mod
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

toyota_yes_please, you get a lot of roll on off cambers with them like that? i cant see how u wouldn't, the chassis basically freepivots.......
Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

those are the front shocks off my other chassis and i left the front stock so no not really
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote