Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: did a few mods, lemme know what you think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #1

Default did a few mods, lemme know what you think

been playin around with my jeep and been lurking around here and did a few mods.

i used some threaded rod and some rod ends i had laying around to extend the wheelbase. the rods pivot on an axle that goes through the old bat compartment and come out the other side, more strenght that way. shocks are mounted on the rod and as parallel as they can be to the chassis. the body is dovetailed and ive since added steal grating on the rear to cover where the tonau cover was. the battery is mounted under the body on the front part of the chassis. 100 bb's each in the front tires and 50 each in the rear. i started doing a tummy tuck and just havent finished yet. lemme know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions let me know

sorry if the pics are a little blurry

Last edited by low an slow; 01-10-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: hopefully fixed the pics for the last time
low an slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Ultimate RC Decals

i can't see the pics.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

put your pics at imageshack or something, it keeps tryin to get me to sign up for a msn account
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #4

hopefully fixed the picture problem
Old 01-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #5

i like your idea, looks like it works well.
AZCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

looks great i like the bed and the four link
ROCK god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

are your links through the shock mounts on the axle ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #8

yes the links go through the stock shock mounts. i was going to keep the shocks at the mount but with the wheelbase stretch it was going to bind to much. i found i get the best flex with the shocks on the links because the axle gets more leverage.
i did a little work to it. added a cover and an "airtank", finished up trimming the bottom and didnt feel like going to crazy so for now theres duct tape keeping everything water tight along with 15 or so washers in there for weight. i added some washers to the rear axle where the stock links go to add a little more weight. flexes better now but its also sitting about 1/2 inch lower with the washers under neath. also cut the tires and it made a little difference in the mud and on climbing but they made a huge difference in the snow.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #9

Default Great job.....

Just found this site, love the 4 link's, does it give you more articulation,....
And has any ont thought of 4ws using another front end on the rear and wiring it toghter ... By the way bone stosk they go through the mud up to the windshild
before the quit reciving signal.... ur truck ....awsome.....:-P
Randy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Lee
Just found this site, love the 4 link's, does it give you more articulation,....
And has any ont thought of 4ws using another front end on the rear and wiring it toghter ... By the way bone stosk they go through the mud up to the windshild
before the quit reciving signal.... ur truck ....awsome.....:-P
its a 2 link

yes some people on here have dont 4WS, some like it, some go back to stock.

when you mess up your CRAWLER (its not a mud bogger) please dont call Nylint and ask for a new one, your abusing it and it WILL mess up. my guess is that wasn't MUD, it was probably more like water with a little dirt mixed into make it brown. if you get ANYTHING up to the windshield in MUD (i dont care if its a 1:1 bogger) your not going anywhere.

and yes, that nylint is sweet!
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sweet, gotta love duct tape! I never thought about that. Duct tape skid plates Naw but anyways, I like the setup.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

you guys dont make no sense to me.thats allitle to long for crawlin you might get good articulation but you have to go over rocks in rock crawlin and that wont youll get high centered. just a thought
CHEVY_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #13

it does tend to get high centered more but with the tummy tuck its a trade off. personally i like the lower COG and stability, the articulation is a bonus with this setup. when i feel like dropping 50$ in tires the wheelbase will work out better. im liking this 2link setup alot especially with the shocks on the links. id like to maybe put some shocks on that are 1/2 inch or so longer. anyone got any ideas for aftermarket shocks or anyone know of a good way to mod the current ones?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

how long are the stock shocks?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i have some ?'s ho long did you make the links and did you bend them where the enter the stock shoc mount on the axles.
thanks
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i agree and the articulation should be great and if you get bigger tires it will work good. but i see alot of people with that wheel base with stock tires and there leavin it that way.
CHEVY_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

can you post a pic of max wheel travel? even if your holding up one wheel it doesnt matter. look into traxxas t-maxx shocks thats what i have on the front of mine, i just took off the springs till i can find softer ones and took out the plunger
BeerMonkeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY
look into traxxas t-maxx shocks
thats what i was going to suggest if they were the right length

t or e maxx shocks, same thing....recently saw a set of 8 go on ebay for under $15 shipped....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY
can you post a pic of max wheel travel? even if your holding up one wheel it doesnt matter. look into traxxas t-maxx shocks thats what i have on the front of mine, i just took off the springs till i can find softer ones and took out the plunger
the pic with it on the box is basically flexed out, theres another 1/4 inch to go.
i may go for the t maxx, there oil filled right?

and twisted, the links are made of 6/32 threaded rod with some rod ends i had layin around (i believe there traxxes links) that i took the ball out of. they thread right into the shock mounts, the links are straight not bent, and i use the nuts to hold the shock in place. i also took some of the threaded rod and put it through 2 holes i drilled in the battery compartment and that acts as an additional pivot to relieve any binding.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

lol is that an xmod box i see? lol if it is that aint much flex my stock nylint can flex 2x that..not to down you..i like the idea..try removing or cuttin the springs
scorpioncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote