Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Woah, very helpful shock tip if you have no oil to fill them!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Well I blew a hose off the Jeep steering this weekend and just used 27 bottles of Axial shock oil because it's all I had. Should be same thing then....
Now that's awesome!!!!
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Uh guys the last time I checked, Brake fluid goes through rubber hoses and rubber seals are used to seal wheels cylinders, calipers, and master cylinders. Its also silicone based. But what would I know I am only a commercial sales manager at a major auto parts chain.
93firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #23

well i do know that the old "used car salesman" trick to a slipping transmission was to add brake fluid to it and after a while the seals would swell and the trans would shift ok until the seals went but then the car was sold and in the old days everyone knows it was sold as is....as for using brake fluid in our shocks im sure it would be ok for awhile but i would want to do a full re-build after and use the proper oil. everything in a car or truck or heavy equipment that uses o-rings has a certin type of rubber compound of said o-ring brake sysems have thier own, transmissions have thier own as do AC systems and that is why there is a different fluid for all of them.If you could use any fluid you wanted well there would be one kind of fluid and thats it.........but like the guy before me said what do i know......only been a master auto tech for 25 years LOL sorry i had to add that last part
whskyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93firebird View Post
Uh guys the last time I checked, Brake fluid goes through rubber hoses and rubber seals are used to seal wheels cylinders, calipers, and master cylinders. Its also silicone based. But what would I know I am only a commercial sales manager at a major auto parts chain.
Then you should know there is different types of rubber hoses, hydraulic hose for transmissions, fuel hoses for fuel lines, and o rings rated for different uses and fluids. Not all rubber hoses and seals are made of the same material.

But what would I know........

What major auto parts chain are you the commercial manager of again??

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 06-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

I have thought about using jack oil before.You can get a whole bottle for about 4 or 5 bucks.It too is designed for use with rubber o-rings and seals.I might try putting some in an old shock and just letting it sit on the bench for a while and see if anything funny happens to it
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

HOW AWSOME THAT I STUMBLED ONTO THIS THREAD, JUST TODAY IN THE SHOP I WAS ADDING PS FLUID TO A CAR, SOME SPILLED AND AS I WAS CLEANING UP THE SMALL MESS, I THOUGHT ABOUT USING IT MY LOSI ALUMINUM SHOCKS WHEN I REBUILD THEM....LMAO TO THE SHOCK OIL IN THE JEEP THO!

(sorry for all caps guys/gals...the shop computer is always on caps lock, didnt look this time. im not yelling tho!)
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Anyone try KY lotion? It is supposed to be safe for rubbers.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofastoocatch View Post
Hydraulic oil is designed to be compressionless, lubricate internal working components in hydraulic systems, and prohibit rust in hydraulic systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsrcrepair View Post
Dude!! HYD oil is perfectly safe for o-rings and plastic..what do you think is in valves,cyls and pumps?? And not for compression?? Theres hyd systems that run upward of 3,000psi??
thank you...out of all the posts you were the only that said something...when I read that I thought...BULLSH!T....its a hydraulic PISTON!! made for compression...a hydraulic system needs a non compressible fluid..that also lubricates....in a sense, thats why milk isn't a good choice to run.

but I digress....never thought of using olive oil...sure would make the shock stay fresher!!

Last edited by squatch71; 01-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #29
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Well I blew a hose off the Jeep steering this weekend and just used 27 bottles of Axial shock oil because it's all I had. Should be same thing then....
Whatever works to get you home,right.

I have used brake fluid,motor oil,jack oil and transmission fluid,I have had real bad luck with P.sterring systems over the yrs.

I think trans.fluid actually works better than P.S fluid
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I have seen a guy use vegetable oil for his crawler shocks pretty successfully.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
Anyone try KY lotion? It is supposed to be safe for rubbers.
Not for everyone yup
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post

I was joking, but good to know if I ever need to use it, I can.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Just so you guys know.....no liquid compresses, whether it's oil, water, milk, etc.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #34
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Then you should know there is different types of rubber hoses, hydraulic hose for transmissions, fuel hoses for fuel lines, and o rings rated for different uses and fluids. Not all rubber hoses and seals are made of the same material.
Thats what I was thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Just so you guys know.....no liquid compresses, whether it's oil, water, milk, etc.
Yup. As far as we're concerned anyway.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

I used some Mobil 1 10w30 in some shocks a few years ago. Avoid that.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I guess im a noob to for useing cooking oil and veggie oil, etc. Guess you gutta use what you gutta use
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
I think that is more like, "Thinking inside the box" as it were....sorta......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93firebird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Then you should know there is different types of rubber hoses, hydraulic hose for transmissions, fuel hoses for fuel lines, and o rings rated for different uses and fluids. Not all rubber hoses and seals are made of the same material. But what would I know........ What major auto parts chain are you the commercial manager of again??
I know this post is really old but Grizzly is right some rubber is more impervious to chemicals than others and I would also like to say your incorrect about dot 3 brake fluid being a silicone based. Actually dot 3 and 4 are a Glycol base and the dot 5 is a silicone based. And if you mix them it turns in to a gelatin mess. People like you make my paychecks.
Lifted79Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Default lol

I have used air comp tool oil be for to keep playing and it worked .
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsrcrepair View Post
Dude!! HYD oil is perfectly safe for o-rings and plastic..what do you think is in valves,cyls and pumps?? And not for compression?? Theres hyd systems that run upward of 3,000psi?? Now brake fluid I wouldnt suggest,it will swell normal o-rings and soften plastic and powersteering fluid is a hyd fluid..
It might be safe for SOME o-rings but not all. There are hundreds of materials that o-rings are made from...not all can withstand HYD or petroleum based oils.

Our o-rings are made of silicone...because it works best with silicone oils. Silicone o-rings typically fail quickly when used with petroleum based oils...especially oils with high levels of detergents.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote