Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Woah, very helpful shock tip if you have no oil to fill them!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Woah, very helpful shock tip if you have no oil to fill them!!

Hey guys i recently busted a shock and had no oil and ive been running hydralic steering fluid in my shocks and they run like theres 30wt oil in them! haha just FYI if you dont have oil, power steering/hydralic fluid WORKS good!
( and dont bash me for doing this, it worked for me and im sticking with it, i dont care if it harms my shocks or not lol jk )

Last edited by shadowrejects; 06-10-2010 at 08:29 PM.
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm sure it will work for some length of time, but I can foresee issues arrising in the future. Hydraulic oil is not designed with the same intention as shock oil. It is designed to be compressionless, lubricate internal working components in hydraulic systems, and prohibit rust in hydraulic systems. I personally think it would be OK in an aluminum shock, but I'm not sure how well it would work with plastic. Then again, if it does play well with plastic, you should be good to go. Assuming the weight is what your looking for.
twofastoocatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofastoocatch View Post
I'm sure it will work for some length of time, but I can foresee issues arrising in the future. Hydraulic oil is not designed with the same intention as shock oil. It is designed to be compressionless, lubricate internal working components in hydraulic systems, and prohibit rust in hydraulic systems. I personally think it would be OK in an aluminum shock, but I'm not sure how well it would work with plastic. Then again, if it does play well with plastic, you should be good to go. Assuming the weight is what your looking for.
yea bro i got alum. and thanks bro and yea they work great!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Better than me, I once used cooking oil in my shocks when I was stuck. Worked OK but pretty light for shock oil.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
Better than me, I once used cooking oil in my shocks when I was stuck. Worked OK but pretty light for shock oil.
LOL!!!! when i was a serious noob, (first crawler, first shock break) i used WD40, didnt work out at all LOL
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Steering fluids (brake fluids) are available, or used to be available, in different grades. I once put the wrong grade into a Chevy S10 Blazer and fried the brake system. That was 30 years ago or so. Not sure if grades are different today. Back in the day, some plastic compounds (O-rings) did not like some hydraulic compositions or visa versa.

Damn, I'm an old "fawk". (Big boy Nomex suit in on)

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 06-12-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailrotorblade View Post
Steering fluids are available, or used to be available, in different grades. I once put the wrong grade into a Chevy S10 Blazer and fried the brake system. That was 30 years ago or so. Not sure if grades are different today. Back in the day, some plastic compounds (O-rings) did not like some hydraulic compositions or visa versa.

Damn, I'm an old "fawk". (Big boy Nomex suit in on)
hmm didnt know that and man that must of sucked LOL! i could only imagine the cost of that getting repaired at walmart or auto zone probably be 5000$ lol. and yea, i see what your saying bro thanks man for the info!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have used power steering fluid and auto tranny fluid interchangeably for years and I know for a fact that there is all kind of plastic inside a transmission. Brake fluid is a whole nother animal though. I have used it to stip paint off styrene bodies though, so maybe it's safe for plastics, or maybe just safe for short times.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I would be concerned about the petroleum base of the oil and degradation of the rubber components in the shocks. Silicon oil is used for a reason in RC shocks.

I'm sure it will work just fine for a temp fix till you get the right shock oil though!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
I have used power steering fluid and auto tranny fluid interchangeably for years and I know for a fact that there is all kind of plastic inside a transmission. Brake fluid is a whole nother animal though. I have used it to stip paint off styrene bodies though, so maybe it's safe for plastics, or maybe just safe for short times.
dude thats awesome glad to see someone had done what i did lol. and yea i see what your saying thanks bro!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
I would be concerned about the petroleum base of the oil and degradation of the rubber components in the shocks. Silicon oil is used for a reason in RC shocks.

I'm sure it will work just fine for a temp fix till you get the right shock oil though!
I sure hope so! thanks man!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

yea i just use olive oil in my rear and canola oil in my front
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
hahahaha
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Extra virgin?
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
LOL
when i was younger(around 10 years old) my first shock blew on my rusty, i used water... o.o.. didnt work out too well..
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Dude!! HYD oil is perfectly safe for o-rings and plastic..what do you think is in valves,cyls and pumps?? And not for compression?? Theres hyd systems that run upward of 3,000psi?? Now brake fluid I wouldnt suggest,it will swell normal o-rings and soften plastic and powersteering fluid is a hyd fluid..
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

A buddy of mine used vegetable oil once for a temporary fix... but real shock oil is like $3 a bottle or something close. I'd say that using the real stuff is always the best bet for the long run

Especially when replacing 4 shocks will cost around $30 for cheapies.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post

Silicone oil is used mainly because it's more impervious to temperatures than petro based oils. That is it doesn't change viscosity as much with changes in temperature.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
20K Club

Well I blew a hose off the Jeep steering this weekend and just used 27 bottles of Axial shock oil because it's all I had. Should be same thing then....
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Well I blew a hose off the Jeep steering this weekend and just used 27 bottles of Axial shock oil because it's all I had. Should be same thing then....

That's hilarious..... You must be joking but it's even funnier if you're not.....
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote