Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A weird one: Honcho vs. Creeper with 1.9's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A weird one: Honcho vs. Creeper with 1.9's?

So I'm interested in a SCX10 Honcho, but recently unemployed, so I shouldn't just run out and buy one.

I have a Venom Creeper that I like but am not sure I'm a hardcore crawler. More of a mix of crawling and trails. Since the Venom is probably worth nil used and I already own unused 1.9 G8 Flatirons and RC4WD steel rims I started wondering how the performance of the Venom with 1.9's would compare to the Honcho. Both have a 12.5" -ish wheelbase, I'm guessing that axle width is pretty close.

I realize in scale looks the Honcho has it all over the Creeper. But if I threw a nicely detailed body on the Creeper with 1.9's would it be better, or worse in overall performance? I can throw the 1.9's on the Venom but I've never seen a Honcho in person for comparison.
rj_dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

id say go with the creeper, its not a crazy comp crawler, but you will probably have more fun with it than the honcho unless you have some awesome scale course, but if not, then it gets boring....all you need for the creeper is a pile of rocks and you will have non stop fun
rcpro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

X2 - what he said ^^^^^ up there.

If you are not hardcore into crawling, then convert what you have to what you want.

To start, try a $20 used chassis from someone on here (rails) and go from there a piece at a time.

Others have:
My first Scaler .. Venom creeper
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

A friend of mine owns a honcho and recently converted a creeper kit to an extremely low budget 1.9 scaler. Performance wise, I would say the honcho is better, but the creeper is fairly impressive. If you can get a cheap chassis from someone on here, or buy some delrin and make your own...throw something together and try it. If anything, you won't be out of much money and can pick up a honcho later down the road if you want one. Here's a link to my friend's build thread:

adale4130's creeper scaler project
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

3x i have a scx 10 i love it it was a gift would not have payed that much. run the creeper you will have fun! a guy i know runs a creeper ford truck and runs more lines then me
sivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks a lot for the replies and the links! Guess I really have little to lose by trying the Creeper as a faux scaler. I imagine once I try the 1.9's on the Creeper I'll have a better idea if I'd like a 1.9 scaler of that size. The Honcho always looks quite capable in videos, but it just seems like the Creeper would be very limited with 1.9's. I'll try it and see! Still welcome other input.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well, I took the creeper out for a spin with the 1.9 Flatiron G8's. Kinda a mixed bag. At first I thought it was pretty lousy, but the more I drove it the better it seemed. But I couldn't help but think two things the whole time: This sure would work better with 2.2's and it seemed like the wheelbase should be shorter with 1.9's.

Kinda makes me wonder if I'm just 2.2 kinda guy. Only 1.9 I had(have) was a Tamiya Hummer (hugely modded) which I had a ton of fun with back in the days BC (Before Crawling). Had a 55t LATHE motor back when it was still a lathe motor. Still have the Hummer (in pieces). Flatirons are too big for it.

It just seemed that everyone was having a blast with the Honcho and I like the look. Maybe I should just stick with 2.2 until I have a chance to see the Honcho in action in person.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

did you buy it?
i think you should just keep it as is with 2.2 tires. unless you are determined to have a scaler....
rcpro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I would get an SCX chassis or like said above make your own scale chassis and run it as a 2.2 scaler. May not beat a honcho but I am sure it would be fun!
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote