Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4 links.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 4 links.....

I am wondering how do you get "MORE" articulation when using 4 link set up.. I am sure there alot of variables but just wanna know how I can/if I can.....what would it take.

Thnx for your time and your responses.
Sabo
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can increase articulation by using longer shocks or by laying the shocks down more, so they're closer to horizontal. You will find that massive articulation does look cool it can actually hurt a trucks ability to crawl. Tires are more prone to falling into holes and crevices instead of kinda floating over them. Feel free to try it out but I'd suggest not spending much money trying to increase articulation, we've all been there and most end up with about 35-40º and find it works better.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

X2 There is such a thing as too much articulation, usually all you need is about a soda cans worth of articulation.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

IF I dont have a soda can worth what are my options..? Thnx for response guys.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

For starter's, what truck are you using? Each truck will take different work to make 4 links.

Basically, 4 linking allows each wheel to move more independently, where with a 3 link, a rise on one side basically means a decrease on the other. It gives you much better tuning ability.

As was mentioned, don't shoot for a ton of articulation, but a 4 link setup will be better than a 3 link.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am using a CKRC chassis and clod axels. Should have pics of it with chassis nearly complete tom.?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
I am using a CKRC chassis and clod axels. Should have pics of it with chassis nearly complete tom.?
I'm not familiar with that setup, so post some pix and we'll see if we can give you some good suggestions.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Cool... will do tom.? Hope thats ok?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok here are the pics. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well, you already have it set up as 4 link, but there is a huge distance at the axle from the lower link to the upper link. Match that with the uppers and lowers being pretty close together at the chassis, and I think the general structure limits your articulation.

I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with the world of Clods, so I'm probably not the best person to help solve this problem. Hopefully someone else here can help.

I noticed the blurb under your avatar. As one vet to another, thank you for your service!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Try mounting you lower links on the inside of the chassis where you have the spacer between the chassis and skid plate.
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Well, you already have it set up as 4 link, but there is a huge distance at the axle from the lower link to the upper link. Match that with the uppers and lowers being pretty close together at the chassis, and I think the general structure limits your articulation.

I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with the world of Clods, so I'm probably not the best person to help solve this problem. Hopefully someone else here can help.

I noticed the blurb under your avatar. As one vet to another, thank you for your service!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
Try mounting you lower links on the inside of the chassis where you have the spacer between the chassis and skid plate.

Justin ty and ty to you as well! One thing I did want to metion is that all links are same length. Would this matter?

OfnaJoe I originally had it that way but I had to bend the links and they were all "cockeyed" see this thread Ok I need help pls....
I can try to move the links to the inside, but I thnk I might have to get some bends in them?? Not 100% sure really.

Still working on ideas in my head. And I am always open to help/suggetions as well!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I would try to get them inside the chassis like someone suggested. Also try and get the vertical separation to be similar on the chassis and axle sides. They way it is now is going to bind it all up. Maybe search around and see if there are some other builds on here similar to yours to compare with.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

this is the chassis pics from CKRC I tried to flollw that one but not sure I can?
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm pretty much a newb too, but if your uppers and lowers are the same length, then that's the start of your problem. If you look in the picture of the one you tried to follow, those uppers are quite a bit shorter than the bent lowers. Try playing around with your lengths and let us know what you come up with.

Giz
Giznad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
this is the chassis pics from CKRC I tried to flollw that one but not sure I can?
If you look at that picture you can see that the axles in the pic have their upper and lower mounts much closer together vertically. That is where the main part of your problem is.

And yes the top links look way shorter but it is a stock axial 3 link on top so those links go into the Y connector so that adds a good bit of length.

To tell you the truth it may be better to just start again with a different chassis that is setup better for the axles you have. I would say that you should drill some more mounting holes higher up for the upper links but the chassis you have doesnt have very much meat on it so its probably not an option. I dont have any clod axles but there is a whole section dedicated to them (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/). I would look through as much of it as possible and then you will have some good info to work off of. There are probably chassis that are setup for those axles and you will have a much easier time making everything work with minimal effort if you get one.

Also are you planning on comping in the future or just bashing around. If you plan on comping you will need to make sure your wheelbase and all the other stuff meets the requirements, looks too long to run 2.2 class.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thnx guys for all your info and help. I saw another chassis I am looking at getting in the forsale sect. Might go w/that 1 and sell this one I have now. I will paly around with this chassis tom. and see what I can come up with? Thnx for all your inputs/advice!! Keep you posted.