Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: double jointed CVDs..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Exclamation double jointed CVDs..

its not really needed as were getting 45+ degrees of steering out of our current offerings for crawlers, but i thought this was interesting as i hadnt seen it done before.

tamiya puts these double jointed swing shafts in the top of the line "R" version of the TA05 and 416 touring cars.
kinda unique
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Xray uses them also.

Its more to help smooth out the steering in the corner, less chatter from inside wheel.

I wondered too how they would work out for crawlers or if the normal u-joint like the XR uses is better.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Ya the primary reason is to smooth out the turning... If we had more room in our knuckles and sds maybe made a high clearance set then it would be great... super sharp and super smooth! But I doubt most crawlers have room for them in the knuckles.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The main advantage is they do not oscillate throughout their range of motion. If you hold a standard CV or Uni at a high angle as you turn the main shaft the stub axle will slow down and speed up as it rotates around. These should not do that. I believe Egressor modified some uni's and a set of TLTs a long while back to have double cardens. Found It

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

nice concept.. but as stated steering is pretty much at its peak, but I would love to see this come out in a punisher shaft it doesnt get any more scale than a double knuckle front drive shaft
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm suprised nobody has developed a double U-Joint setup similar to what some 4WS Lull's use with their axles.
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The way I see it the potential increase in strength is a bigger benefit than the increase in steering through. Most steering joints are weakest when turned to full lock, but with this setup each joint splits the angle in half so they see less load.

I'm pretty sure most Unimogs have this type of setup. Wait a sec, how come there's no portal, double CV, scale axles with selectable lockers yet? Oh, cause I'm still dreaming...
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure most Unimogs have this type of setup. Wait a sec, how come there's no portal, double CV, scale axles with selectable lockers yet? Oh, cause I'm still dreaming...

You're not dreaming. The Europeans have had selectable locker options for Clod and other Tamiya axles(TLT, Semi, etc..) for years....

Images from a thread here on RCC from 2005, I REALLY need a translator!!!

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote