Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Are clod based crawlers exctinct?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Are clod based crawlers exctinct?

I Just finished up (like they are ever finished) a torsion chassis clod based 2.2 truck. I have been posting in the clod forum, and rarely get replies to anything. Is the clod dead? I know there are alot of MUCH better options out there now MOA wise... But clods have been around RC crawling since, well, it started! So what gives, are they just not competitive anymore?
TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Pretty much on the decline since the arrival of super bullies. There are still some around. Super bullies are cheaper and better suited for rockcrawler. It's pretty much bolt on chassis and go verses the clod. For clods, gathering parts like TT cvds, aluminium tubes, knuckles, lockers, adaptors and so on. It'll cost more on the long run.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was looking at those, and they are a better option. The only reason I built the truck I have now, is because I already had the clod axles with GP gear reductions installed.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Yea, you got sucked in like I did. Typical story line:

Day 1 - Cleaning out garage and find old clob with origional body.
Day 2 - Look up Clod Buster on computer and find all sorts of cool crawlers.
Day 3-20 - Think your all that becuase you are building a kickass 2.2 clod with narrowed wheels, lockers, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Day 21 - Go to LHS and see $150 RTR MOA on the shelf and buy it.
Later on Day 21 - Put Clod in a box and think about selling the axels
Day 22 - Break $150 RTR and begin downward spiral into the seedy world of rc crawling.

Day 186 - Get pissed off at yourself becuase you through away the origional clod body because your could use it to build a scaler and your too cheap to by a new body for an custom tuber scaler with about $800 worth of equipment in it.

Could someone point me to the forsale section, I have some clod axles that I would like to get out from under my workbench.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Clods rule!!! Ever since I was a kid I wanted the clod buster. My folks never could afford one. I day dreamed about that truck all the time. Now i'm in my late 30's, make a six figure income, one bay of my garage is nothing but rc stuff and still no clod. I'm more in to heli's than anything else. I've got close to 20 grand worth of heli crap. I've got crawlers and planks also. I've been contemplating buying a clod just to build it since it sparked my love for RC. I think in my particular case it would have to be the original or nothing since it go's that far back for me. I often take an outside view to my situation and wonder if all that pent up lust for that truck made me go ape sh*t once I had the financial means to do so (hence the abundance of my rc collection). The other thing I wonder is that if I were to get a clod would it be all over for me? Like ok, I finally sharpened that axe? I know this is totally jacking your thread but I thought it was a funny story to share. On a side note I did come close to building a clod. The story can be found here. Tha jugg
hellacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacool View Post
Clods rule!!! Ever since I was a kid I wanted the clod buster. My folks never could afford one. I day dreamed about that truck all the time. Now i'm in my late 30's, make a six figure income, one bay of my garage is nothing but rc stuff and still no clod. I'm more in to heli's than anything else. I've got close to 20 grand worth of heli crap. I've got crawlers and planks also. I've been contemplating buying a clod just to build it since it sparked my love for RC. I think in my particular case it would have to be the original or nothing since it go's that far back for me. I often take an outside view to my situation and wonder if all that pent up lust for that truck made me go ape sh*t once I had the financial means to do so (hence the abundance of my rc collection). The other thing I wonder is that if I were to get a clod would it be all over for me? Like ok, I finally sharpened that axe? I know this is totally jacking your thread but I thought it was a funny story to share. On a side note I did come close to building a clod. The story can be found here. Tha jugg
I will say, I have owned alot of clods over the years, in a lot of different forms, and a box stock or close to it clod can be a ALOT of fun. If I ever end up getting a different crawler, my current clod will go back to a stock tub!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

dude i got my first one when i was sixteen i worked at my dads machine shop i had to degrease all the cranes and paint them from yellow to orange 15 cranes 2ton and a over head 10 ton 3 story high 100ft long monster that was a tough one but i got my 500 bucks and my dad asked if i wanted to get the transmission rebuilt in my 79 trans am or what did i want to spend my cash on i so i told him about my clod he frowned but after it came home and it took me about six hours to build and drove him his first beer he fell in love he knew that at that time i had something that i worked for and enjoy something that i liked the mail man thought some got a new snowbower in the neighborhood hah an d now that old school machine shop hangs along as i work for one of the most gross selling batteries sellers in the u.s. its amazing how toys find our passion in life .
77chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Dang dude.....punctuation would help & it's free!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

He put a period at the end.
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
rik
RCC Addict

I had 3 sets of clod axles. Built my first crawler in '05 based on clod axles and a tvp I machined. Sold it in '06 and grabbed a pti when they first came out. Just sold my aluminum 2.2 clod axles. Still have one fairly stock set left, which I won't part with. Clods hold a special place in my crawler heart. By no means are they competitive, by today's standards. But, they make great "fun crawlers". One can do anything with them. Me...., I'm gonna build another super with my set. not to compete, but just to have fun with.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

All I can say is I started with a clodzilla, then nothing, then another clodzilla, and then 2 axial scx10's... the spiral has begun.
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote