Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Calling all chassis vendors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Issue is our industries extreme pickiness and then overall small size.

Some people would love this, others into scale would criticize the front end used based on its unscale looks or poor performance. Make it fit a Axial AX/SCX axle, what about the Wraith or RC4WD stuff?

You see what you want is to customize something...which means with small demands and large gaps in desire its hard to make and then make cheap enough people don't whine.

You can do quite a bit of customization with a Dremel, some bits, files, hammer and a vise. All that can be had for very cheap...or call one of our great vendors into action and build something you want the exact way you want it.
I don't see how switching from the wraith or original axial axles would be a problem? The only thing I see would be the steering rod would have to have a spacer or a longer one which is simple.

All I'm saying is it wouldn't involve brazing, it would be certain brackets that would connect the slash on to the scx10 chassis and then when you want the solid, just unscrew it and pop it off and add the solid axle.

It's nothing fancy or something that would cost big bucks.

And for looks? Fawk them lol it's in the eye of the beholder jk and I think a good amount would think it would be scale. Just got to get a piece of steel or aluminum chuck(think that's what it's called?) <----- that is in another of my threads.
And then you could replace the traxxas hub and replace it with a 4 Tec hub and the 2.2 and 1.9 wheels should work.

See I have multiple ideas and if I had the tools I would make a bunch of these ideas. Hell I've told spiderwebcustom a bunch of them awhile back.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
x2

For about $100 you can get a fair collection of tools that will get you pretty far.
Making only $600 a month, I got lucky just getting a slash for cheap lol
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Making only $600 a month, I got lucky just getting a slash for cheap lol
So you're gonna spend half a months income on this or are you hoping a vendor will make it for free?
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Neither, either I'll save up for a few months or give the idea or plans to a vendor and they can make it and sell it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Neither, either I'll save up for a few months or give the idea or plans to a vendor and they can make it and sell it.
No matter what, this is gonna be pricey to do.Fo rthe right coin, I'm sure a vendor will make a one off, but I think in order to make this into production, it'd have to bne affordable as an end product, and I don't see that happening at all. too much R&D + fab work needed to make sure it workl properly.

Ultimately you are better off spending money on tools and trying to make them yourself
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
RCC Addict

So I need a vendor!!!! Lol mg200 won't do it and Dmg isn't answering pm so I'm needing someone else to help make this a reality, I want it to be someone that is in Oregon and is kinda close to Salem so we could meet and show you how I'd do it but its fine if your not, I'm also looking to get a price quote, it's not going to be a full chassis or anything but brackets or tabs that will allow me to mount a slash 4x4 IFS to a axial scx10 chassis
Old 10-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't see how switching from the wraith or original axial axles would be a problem? The only thing I see would be the steering rod would have to have a spacer or a longer one which is simple.

All I'm saying is it wouldn't involve brazing, it would be certain brackets that would connect the slash on to the scx10 chassis and then when you want the solid, just unscrew it and pop it off and add the solid axle.

It's nothing fancy or something that would cost big bucks.

And for looks? Fawk them lol it's in the eye of the beholder jk and I think a good amount would think it would be scale. Just got to get a piece of steel or aluminum chuck(think that's what it's called?) <----- that is in another of my threads.
And then you could replace the traxxas hub and replace it with a 4 Tec hub and the 2.2 and 1.9 wheels should work.

See I have multiple ideas and if I had the tools I would make a bunch of these ideas. Hell I've told spiderwebcustom a bunch of them awhile back.

Do you read what your are saying. There is no such thing as easy, fast, and cheap. You can never pick more than 2. When someone like DMG builds a one-off chassis your getting the years of building that allowed him to work quickly. Otherwise it would take days for a normal guy to build what dmg can probably make in a few hours ( I have no idea how long it takes to make one if his cars, but like anyone else, the longer you do something, the faster, and usually better, you get at it). Just because it costs apple $30 to make an ipod does not mean they sell it for $35. R&D costs money, and that is reflected in everything we buy. Just because you have a thought that something can be done does not mean it can be easily done. Otherwise get your vendor star and have at it.

Quote:
So I need a vendor!!!! Lol mg200 won't do it and Dmg isn't answering pm so I'm needing someone else to help make this a reality, I want it to be someone that is in Oregon and is kinda close to Salem so we could meet and show you how I'd do it but its fine if your not, I'm also looking to get a price quote, it's not going to be a full chassis or anything but brackets or tabs that will allow me to mount a slash 4x4 IFS to a axial scx10 chassis

I know of a vendor who should have a something that will bolt to a slash 4x4 front end and hold a summit/revo tranny and have 4 link mounts on the rear end. The end product will be expensive with all the parts needed, but it should be a really cool design, and allow someone who want to build a KOH/trophy truck a pretty decent start. If I was you I would start checking out the 2.2 scale section in the next couple of weeks for a build thread. But at $600 a month, its going to take a couple of months of saving to get in the ballpark.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Do you read what your are saying. There is no such thing as easy, fast, and cheap. You can never pick more than 2. When someone like DMG builds a one-off chassis your getting the years of building that allowed him to work quickly. Otherwise it would take days for a normal guy to build what dmg can probably make in a few hours ( I have no idea how long it takes to make one if his cars, but like anyone else, the longer you do something, the faster, and usually better, you get at it). Just because it costs apple $30 to make an ipod does not mean they sell it for $35. R&D costs money, and that is reflected in everything we buy. Just because you have a thought that something can be done does not mean it can be easily done. Otherwise get your vendor star and have at it.

I know of a vendor who should have a something that will bolt to a slash 4x4 front end and hold a summit/revo tranny and have 4 link mounts on the rear end. The end product will be expensive with all the parts needed, but it should be a really cool design, and allow someone who want to build a KOH/trophy truck a pretty decent start. If I was you I would start checking out the 2.2 scale section in the next couple of weeks for a build thread. But at $600 a month, its going to take a couple of months of saving to get in the ballpark.
I don't want a summit/revo tranny or any of that, I just need some one who can build some brackets/tabs, I really don't see why everyone is making this sound like it would be so freaking difficult, I'm not asking for a one of a kind chassis or stuff with fancy bends and rolls, just tabs or brackets that would allow me to mount a IFS to the scx10 chassis. It's not that hard!!!!!!!!! And I would make them if I had tools/ equipment but I don't, all I have is a 2mm hex for my slash, if something is needed to replace I use my lhs tools to do what is necessary,
Old 10-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #29

How much do you spend on gas to use somone elses tools. Just buy your own tools. You will feel more manly
geoff77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Hobby shop is less than a mile from my house so not much, and I can't fully get tools, I'm slowly getting them but I'd rather get a rig together and working than buy tools and the have no money for a rig... Because then I'm just sitting around with tools and nothing to do.....
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #31
RCC Addict

I retract my statement, to keep from problems but I do ask that if you don't have any good advice, please don't post

Last edited by demonoid369; 10-09-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
Try to Bend it

Maybe your hobby shop will let you use their drill.You could also go to your local hard ware supply to see if there is a product you can cut down to make your tabs out of.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't want a summit/revo tranny or any of that, I just need some one who can build some brackets/tabs, I really don't see why everyone is making this sound like it would be so freaking difficult, I'm not asking for a one of a kind chassis or stuff with fancy bends and rolls, just tabs or brackets that would allow me to mount a IFS to the scx10 chassis. It's not that hard!!!!!!!!! And I would make them if I had tools/ equipment but I don't, all I have is a 2mm hex for my slash, if something is needed to replace I use my lhs tools to do what is necessary,

A person who has no tools, has done no fab work what so ever saying its easy, and they cannot understand why no one else thinks the same way.

You have ideas. Yeah me to. I have this idea for a car that flys, and then turns into a briefcase. It can't be that hard to make. I just do not see why no one has made them. I will even draw them a picture in crayon, then they can build them, make millions and all they have to do for the effort it give me one for free. I emailed this post to Boeing. They are just dumb if they do not make my idea. I am just gonna hold my breath until they get back to me. Sorry last post in this thread, my fingers are turning blue.

PS, OP you should hold your breath also, it should convince all the vendors how dumb they are and how smart you are. Thats my plan. And everyone knows how smart I am, my mommy tells me so.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
Yashua

THIS IS A OLD THREAD THAT HAS'NT BEEN UPDATED IN A LONG TIME BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SOME IDEAS ANYWAY ;
Savage X to super class.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
www.team3sixrc.com

also take into mind that Vendors are building chassis to a customers specs and not what you would like to see.
It takes time for a fabricator to build the chassis and most of the time its looking like one that is already designed.

IFS isn't always a great option either. Some truck do well with it while other's not so good. And switching to an IFS isn't as easy as removing some screws and slapping on a new front end. There is link placement, camber angle, possible drive shaft binding. Its a science.

You got a truck that is already at $1500.00 without an IFS set up. you might be another grand into it for an IFS that may or may not work.

I work in the Surveying field and Engineers and Surveyors are always butting heads. Engineers say that Surveyors are a necessary evil! Surveyors always say that Engineers always design things that look great on paper. But once they are actually implemented, they are not so pretty and clean. Goes to prove that the guys who are necessary are the ones who fix what looks great on paper.

Basically what I am saying is, you may think its easy, looks great, and would be efficient. but its not the case when it comes to really doing it.

Quote:
A person who has no tools, has done no fab work what so ever saying its easy, and they cannot understand why no one else thinks the same way.

You have ideas. Yeah me to. I have this idea for a car that flys, and then turns into a briefcase. It can't be that hard to make. I just do not see why no one has made them. I will even draw them a picture in crayon, then they can build them, make millions and all they have to do for the effort it give me one for free. I emailed this post to Boeing. They are just dumb if they do not make my idea. I am just gonna hold my breath until they get back to me. Sorry last post in this thread, my fingers are turning blue.

PS, OP you should hold your breath also, it should convince all the vendors how dumb they are and how smart you are. Thats my plan. And everyone knows how smart I am, my mommy tells me so.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #36
Yashua

Quote:
Hobby shop is less than a mile from my house so not much, and I can't fully get tools, I'm slowly getting them but I'd rather get a rig together and working than buy tools and the have no money for a rig... Because then I'm just sitting around with tools and nothing to do.....
DUDE, TOOLS ARE THE SHIT , WITHOUT THEM YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE ALL THE TIME , AS DUUUUUUUUDE SAID ABOVE FOR 1/3 THE COST OF MOST RC'S YOU CAN GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT OR LOWES, HELL EVEN WALMART AND GET YOUR SELF A TOOL OR 2 A WEEK OR A MONTH AND IN A YEAR YOU'LL HAVE EVERYTHING YOU'LL PROBALLY NEED.
THESE ARE REAL CARS, ALBIET SMALLER, AND THEY REQUIRE A MECHANIC.
DO YOU WANT TO SPEND ALL YOUR TIME PAYING A MECHANIC (LHS) OR BE THE MAN THAT CAN HELP ANOTHER GUY OUT TOO?
YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED WHAT YOU CAN GET A BENCH TOP DRILL PRESS AND A BENCH GRINDER FOR, LESS THAN A SET OF HALF ASS BEADLOCKS.
ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY IS TOOLS ARE WHAT MAKE THIS HOBBY, SOME TOOLS DON'T HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE TO DO A JOB, OTHERS , LIKE ALLEN WRENCHES NEED TO BE GOOD ONES TO SAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT AND HARDWARE EXPENSES.
DRIVE IT BUILDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #37
No idea what I'm doing

I guess I don't really see the appeal of switching back and forth. How many times would you plan on doing that? Also are you talking 2WD or 4WD Slash? Do you expect people to buy an SCX and then go buy a Slash to hack them both apart? Why not have your SCX set up properly, and have another truck designed from the get-go to be an IFS basher/Trophy Truck.

Sounds like an interesting, ambitious idea, but like I said I don't see the appeal of a switchable front end...especially when you add the price of a Slash and SCX together as well as the cost of the fab work. You could probably have two really kick-ass trucks instead of one that does two jobs mediocre.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I'm pretty sure I remember Jerry (DMG) had a chassis where he had a removeable front end. It was for bolting an aluminum section to a steel section for weight savings if I remember correctly.

Personally, I'd build two separate trucks and share electronics if you really need to. What looks good on an IFS isn't going to look as good on a solid axled front and vice versa. I'm not talking just the front end, but overall. There's a certain flow to a chassis.

I'm with others in that if you're really serious about this hobby, you'll get the tools you need. Dremel, hammer, rulers, set of wrenches, pliers, etc. are all pretty basic and will allow you to do about 90% of what you need to do. Even with a custom chassis, you'll need tools to put it all together. Most are never a simple bolt on affair, but do require some building skills to get everything together and working properly.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:

Actually I have done fab work..... Just because I don't have tools doesn't mean I don't know how to fab..... that is you assuming.
I did metal fabricating in high school and college, I've welded with mig, tig, rod, and oxyacetylene.
Bending, cutting, grinding, drilling, hell even know how to work a plasma cutter, both free hand and computer wise.
So stop assuming I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
also take into mind that Vendors are building chassis to a customers specs and not what you would like to see.
It takes time for a fabricator to build the chassis and most of the time its looking like one that is already designed.

IFS isn't always a great option either. Some truck do well with it while other's not so good. And switching to an IFS isn't as easy as removing some screws and slapping on a new front end. There is link placement, camber angle, possible drive shaft binding. Its a science.

You got a truck that is already at $1500.00 without an IFS set up. you might be another grand into it for an IFS that may or may not work.

I work in the Surveying field and Engineers and Surveyors are always butting heads. Engineers say that Surveyors are a necessary evil! Surveyors always say that Engineers always design things that look great on paper. But once they are actually implemented, they are not so pretty and clean. Goes to prove that the guys who are necessary are the ones who fix what looks great on paper.

Basically what I am saying is, you may think its easy, looks great, and would be efficient. but its not the case when it comes to really doing it.
The reason why I'm wanting to make this is the versatileness of one rig, kind of like my yotamajig that I had, I tried to make it so that it could be either a 1.55 and look stock ish to being a 1.9 with TTC size tires, basically a all around vehicle, one that if needed, you can change just a few things to make another rig without the spending of buying or making entire different rig. Make sense?
And for your first sentence, like I had been saying I'm not saying build a chassis, but brackets or tabs that would allow a slash 4x4 IFS to connect to a scx10 chassis with the brackets or tabs or how ever you want to call it, connecting the two together