Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Default 1.9 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab Build

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum thing, so bear with me if I'm doing anything wrong. I've done a few builds in the past, but never posted pictures or anything, but this time I decided to. So I wanted to do a f-350 crew cab short bed (drop bed) and of course make it as realistic as possible, but I also want it to perform well to because this is currently my only rc anything right now. So here we go...

1st I bought 3 of the tamiya f-350 bodies, hacked them up, and started gluing them together. I'll let the pictures do most of the explaining. Also, at this point, all or most of the parts for the rest of the rig are on order.

I didn't start taking pictures until this point - sorry - but as you can see I cut out the bed, and shortened it, and also got 2 of the bodies together.

Filled in the holes with some bondo

Here's the bed starting to take shape.

Started working on the roof

Back to the bed - I used some kind of sponge board to make the wheel wells and the bed lines

Used some filler around the wheel wells to fill in the seams

OK, now the fun part

on the third body, all I used was that small rear window section, glued it in place, and added support on the back side just like the rest of the cab.

More filling and sanding...

More primer... I use the white primer because it shows the body lines and imperfections much better.

Ok, after a ton of more sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, etc. (you get the point) I added some spray on bed liner, and took a break from the body for a while. It's about 80% done at this point.

A good portion of the parts I'm using showed up, so I'm going to start mocking everything up now.

Parts List:

RC4WD Bruiser Chassis
K44 Axles
Super Swamper Boggers 1.9
1.9 True Scale 12 hole beadlock wheels
100mm ultimate scale shocks (front)
80mm ultimate scale shocks (rear)
Killer transfer case
Planetary transmission
Black scale punnisher shafts (not the ones in the pic)
Tube work still being worked on (not in pics) - bumpers, sliders, light bar...

Other parts on the way

Red bulldog winch
ARB Diff covers
RC4WD F-350 Fender Flares (bolt on/cut out)
Spare wheel/tire

Stay tuned, and thanks for viewing.
Travis149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

wow, build looks great so far! can't wait to see it done!
phre0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phre0n View Post
wow, build looks great so far! can't wait to see it done!
Thank you
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Crappy cell phone picture. Mostly assembled now, just need to go back through and locktite everything, and add electronics. I'll take better/more pictures and post them up.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Any suggestions on electronics for this rig?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6

Here's some more pictures. Not the best with the poor lighting inside, but anyway here they are...

The pics were taken today, so this is how it sits as of now.

The rc4wd fender flare - I drilled the little holes out, and actually bolted them on, instead of gluing them on.

K44 axles with the m3 steeley heim joints for the steering linkage and the panhard bar. Also the leaf springs are rusted on purpose (just put them in some saltwater over night, after scuffing them up. Turned out nice i think, kinda hard to tell by these pics though.

Any suggestions on if the tires are too big? These are the 1.9 super swamper boggers from rc4wd. I'm thinking about some 1.55's... what do ya'll think?

Emblems are on order with the winch and ARB diff covers, and still working on a front winch bumper.

Also, how about this light bar and the tube work around it, any thoughts on that? I'm thinking about taking it off, but on the other hand I think will be nice to protect the lights for when it rolls over.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I like the 1.9s. I say though remove the light bar on top, doesnt quite fit the look i think. If the lights were like on the front bumper some how then i would like it much more, but awesome work on the body work though! Axles look great too! Are you going to put a winch on it or anything?
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
I like the 1.9s. I say though remove the light bar on top, doesnt quite fit the look i think. If the lights were like on the front bumper some how then i would like it much more, but awesome work on the body work though! Axles look great too! Are you going to put a winch on it or anything?
Thanks! Yes the winch is on order, and the light bar is probably coming off. I'm getting ready to remove the paint and get it painted with actual automotive paint (not rattle can) and clear coat. Probably gunmetal, just got to look up the paint code off the real super duty.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
www.ottsix.com

I use RC4WD brand esc (outcry) good product (imo), good price(granted, it is plug and play, but they work great, they really do)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis149 View Post
Any suggestions on electronics for this rig?
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
I use RC4WD brand esc (outcry) good product (imo), good price(granted, it is plug and play, but they work great, they really do)
Thanks! I haven't looked into any of the rc4wd electronics yet, haven't heard too much about their electronics. Maybe i'll take a dander...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
NJK
Quarry Creeper

whats the wheel base for that body?
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk View Post
whats the wheel base for that body?
13" I'll measure it tomorrow. but it was right about 13" if I remember right. Its a short bed also so it would have been 14" or more
Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

great job on this thing newbie.i swear i have seen this build before somewhere though.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsonoma View Post
great job on this thing newbie.i swear i have seen this build before somewhere though.
Thank You... nope, never posted it until now. Newbie? just to the forum my friend. Not to the hobby.

Last edited by Travis149; 09-27-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: ...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
NJK
Quarry Creeper

If you eber thinking about letting that body go let me no?
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Deffinitely take that light bar off. If you want lights like that it needs to be bed mounted on a roll bar to look good IMO. I just don't see any sense in a roof mounted light bar when you have a truck bed.

I think your tire size is good if you're going for a slightly modified off road truck look. Deffinitely doesn't look like a stock tire size but more of a modded truck you'll see out off roading.

Oh yeah, great work on the body really impressed. Nice looking truck
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Deffinitely take that light bar off. If you want lights like that it needs to be bed mounted on a roll bar to look good IMO. I just don't see any sense in a roof mounted light bar when you have a truck bed.

I think your tire size is good if you're going for a slightly modified off road truck look. Deffinitely doesn't look like a stock tire size but more of a modded truck you'll see out off roading.

Oh yeah, great work on the body really impressed. Nice looking truck
Thank you, and yea I took off the light bar last night, and redoing some of the body work... but yea defiantly not going for a stock look, to scale I want it to be on 40's-44's and the tires on there are more of a 49"-54" tire, so just ordered some slightly smaller tires and going with 1.55's this time. Having 1.9's on these axles make it look like I have 24" + wheels and that's not the look I'm going for.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #18

Also, electronics are on the way... dx3r + 480oz tq servo + teiken brushless motor and esc (oh and a couple 2s and 3s lipo's with charger) I'll post pics soon
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk View Post
If you eber thinking about letting that body go let me no?
PM sent
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis149 View Post
Also, electronics are on the way... dx3r + 480oz tq servo + teiken brushless motor and esc (oh and a couple 2s and 3s lipo's with charger) I'll post pics soon
Why a 480oz servo? My 206oz servo has no trouble running my Scx10 with wheel weight, in the rocks with 1.9s or 2.2s. Just seems like a ton of overspending since I'm sure that thing cost a LOT
federally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, f350, ford, rock, scale