Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rtr crawler for me and son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Default rtr crawler for me and son

I got me and my son losi mrcs to see if he and i would like this for a hobby. He is 8 . Well we got the bug good but want to move up to a 2.2 rtr crawler. What do you all reccommend . For this step up. I would like to get him into sportsman class when he gets more driving time in . Thanks for any info Sammy
bigdogramsst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: rtr crawler for me and son

I'd recommend the AX10 .
I am having a blast with mine, and there is a LOT of aftermarket support for the Scorpion, so you and your son can have fun hopping it up too!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogramsst View Post
I got me and my son losi mrcs to see if he and i would like this for a hobby. He is 8 . Well we got the bug good but want to move up to a 2.2 rtr crawler. What do you all reccommend . For this step up. I would like to get him into sportsman class when he gets more driving time in . Thanks for any info Sammy
Your best bet would be to find your local club, if you haven't already, and see what they are running. Also, most clubs have a FS section that could possibly get you running for a lot less money.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

my vote is the creeper safari. comp capability, and not a true scale truck, but has the look of a scale truck. i will say the stock esc does suck. mine quit before the first pack was dead and it dont have a lipo cut off
Safari Creeper 1/10 Sc. RTR Crawler - Blue

you can get em off ebay for 210 bucks to your door
Venom Creeper Safari 1/10th Competition RTR Rock Crawler BLUE | eBay
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My vote is for an Axial AX10 ARTR kit or RTC version. Their RTC (ready to crawl) version comes with a 2s capable AE-2 ESC which has a drag brake. Drag brake is essential in any comp crawler sportsman and above. You should also invest in a CC BEC to take the load off the internal BEC if running 3s. The AE-2 can handle 3s which is what almost everyone runs competition wise.

I'd prefer the ARTR as it comes with aluminum links the RTC version uses their new plastic which is nice since it won't crack on you but bad due to the flex and slop with the torque of a 55T brushed motor.

With the ARTR on a budget I'd run a Sidewinder ESC/CC BEC @ 6.0V/machine wound Integy 55T/any metal gear or titanium gear servo 300 oz/in and above. All of which can be found used for cheap.

As far as breaking goes depending how hard you drive you'll be breaking the stock plastic knuckles and C hubs which I'd recommend upgrading. Down the line you'd probably want to look at Robinson steel gears for your tranny and also MIP C Splined drive shafts and also Axial CVDs up front for more turning. Beef the Axial CVD's with Gunnar pins and you'd be set!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would say get a couple of Axial ax10's for sure. They have endless upgrades and there very durable. Also if you ever want to get into scalers these rigs are easy to convert over from comp to scaler
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
NFG
Pebble Pounder

The Losi Night Crawler is what you want. Straight out of the box you have a crawler that will walk all over an Axial AX10. I have one and I am very happy with it. My only issue was the tires needed to be a little softer. Switched to Comp Claws and it is all good now.

Sure the Axial AX10 has a lot of parts available but it needs all the help it can get. Ha ha!

Read this review - Team Losi Night Crawler

check out what a few guys that have them say - What does everyone think of the night crawler RTR?
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the info got some good reading to do
bigdogramsst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFG View Post
The Losi Night Crawler is what you want. Straight out of the box you have a crawler that will walk all over an Axial AX10. I have one and I am very happy with it. My only issue was the tires needed to be a little softer. Switched to Comp Claws and it is all good now.

Sure the Axial AX10 has a lot of parts available but it needs all the help it can get. Ha ha!

check out what a few guys that have them say - What does everyone think of the night crawler RTR?
I would go with the Nigh Crawler also. Just need to upgrade the servo and put some weight in the wheels and away you go. My 3 year old drives it all the time and has a blast.
-NB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFG View Post

...they're both capable rigs, neither is going to "walk all over" the other right out of the box

IMO, the biggest problem with worm gears is the fact that you can't set the drag brake with your esc...you're either under throttle, or you're locked up...and I personally didn't like that in my LCC (same worm gear setup as the LNC)

If I had it to do over, I'd go with the AX10...I just didn't care for the worm gears and lack of upgrades.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have to agree with the ax10. I love mine for sure.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

You can't go wrong with either the AX10 or the Losi NC. Both are very capable out of the box. I'd get one to start with and make sure your 8 year old will like it. Unless you already know of course.

I got a whole set up for my 13 year old. He drove it maybe 5 minutes and then went back to doing other things (after telling me how much he wanted one).
scottgir is offline   Reply With Quote

rtr crawler for me and son - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crawler king for my son AZINDY HPI Wheely King 29 07-16-2010 12:45 PM
Crawler for son tekton Newbie General 27 11-02-2009 03:32 PM
Crawler for my Son ????? werewolf1983 Newbie General 8 03-24-2009 04:35 PM