Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Weird "chugging" in reverse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Weird "chugging" in reverse?

Where to begin...well whenever I go to reverse my truck "chugs" as if I'm pushing the throttle on and off at a consistent rate....and it only does this in reverse....it "chugs" hard enough sometimes that it rolls off a slope when in reverse. (It's roughly a 5-6Lb Truck)

I'm running a stock Axial SCX-10 Chassis and tranny, Tekin FXR ESC and 35t Tekin motor with a CC BEC and a Traxxas 2075 servo...and a 3s LiPo

any reason why it'd be doing this?

I searched the forum, and couldn't really find anything.
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: Weird "chugging" in reverse?

What radio are you using?
ABS turned off?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem with my wraith. I tried all different electronics (motor, esc, reciever) didn't change, also pulled apart and checked my tranny axles couldn't find anything wrong. I changed remotes and it got a lot better, really not that noticeable anymore. So I don't really have a good explanation for it other then I also had the problem.
rangair94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Only chugging I've had, had to do with drive shaft angle...?
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
What radio are you using?
ABS turned off?
Fly Sky GT3B 2.4Ghz

and I'm not sure...I think it's on. But wouldn't it chug in forward too?

and I use the same remote with ABS on for my Mini Revo,and I haven't had any problems...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Suck it up!

Running od/ud gears? That'll do it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Running od/ud gears? That'll do it.
not that I know of. It might or might not.....as I pulled the axles off another rig I had and never looked inside them....what would be the defining factor in identifying the gears as Ud//od gears?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If it's only in reverse then you can rule out most mechanical factors. If you drive in or near water, my first guess would be water damage to probably the ESC (different MOSFETs for fwd and reverse in some models, for example) or else possibly the Rx. If you can swap these one at a time to rule them out, your Tx then might be the next culprit to swap/test. It may not be water damaged, but the throttle trigger is a moving part, so maybe it's connection or pot is dirty, damaged or failing.

Of course, this is assuming you've thoroughly ruled out batteries, possible mechanical issues if applicable, etc.

From my own experience, I had an earlier version of my MRC that was 'fully' waterproofed, but after turning upside down whilst 8 inches completely below the surface, a small amount of water worked its way into my ESC. Reverse was perfect but forward was choppy and random. I cut my waterproofing surface open, dried it and then reapplied the same treatment, twice this time. Lakes and streams were never a problem again

Good luck. I hate electronic gremlins!
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

when you notice this chugging are you turning? it might be something as simple as drive train bind from the tires wanting to spin at different speeds,
turbomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomini View Post
when you notice this chugging are you turning? it might be something as simple as drive train bind from the tires wanting to spin at different speeds,
One would think that might also happen when going forward as well as backwards, though... My money's on electronics.

Duuuuuude, presumably od/ud gearing refers to 'over-driven' and 'under-driven'. Is that to say that the trannie would be happy forwards, but in reverse the ratios would be somehow different, causing this 'chugging'? I don't quite understand - would have thought the ratios would remain the same. Would love some further explanation to help get my head around it! Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Proverbial threadkiller

With od/ud gearing, the front axle would turn faster than the rear axle. When going forward, this would cause (with any traction at all) the wheelbase to be stretched, and the suspension would be 'sucked down', for lack of a better term. At some point one of the axles is going to lose traction and either spin (f) or be dragged (r). This will likely happen before all suspension travel has been used, and at the point of slip, the suspension can actually absorb some of the shock of the axle whose traction is failing. The weight of the vehicle prevents the springs from 'springing' back to full length, so it usually ends up looking like just a nice, smooth drag.
When going in reverse with the od/ud setup, the front axle will go in reverse faster than the rear axle. This will cause the wheelbase to shrink and when you push the axles together, the links act to 'lift' the vehicle. As soon as one axle loses traction, the weight of the vehicle 'pushes' the suspension back down. Then the axles regain traction and the process starts over again. Winds up looking a lot like a bind in the drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox
Fly Sky GT3B 2.4Ghz

and I'm not sure...I think it's on. But wouldn't it chug in forward too?
No experience with that radio, don't know if it has ABS or not.
But I wouldn't think it would chug going forward, since ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) would typically be on the 'braking' side of the trigger (ie, trigger forward, or in reverse).
No idea why it wouldn't affect your other vehicle. Just figured it'd be quick and easy to turn that off to rule it out.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Trubble, that's a really thorough explanation! So you're saying that over time this condition may worsen, resulting in the OP's "weird chugging issue", yeah? Makes sense I spose. Same reason I don't leave my 1:1 truck's front hubs locked on the blacktop - avoiding diff wind-up. Cheers
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'll check the ABS, as everything is pretty much brand new...the ESC Only has 2-3 runs on it..and it's a new receiver.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragv View Post
One would think that might also happen when going forward as well as backwards, though... My money's on electronics.
trubble said it best, and i also thought about this, when the tires get finned one way they will grab harder and bind more.

Last edited by turbomini; 07-24-2012 at 01:42 AM.
turbomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

My truck with the UD/OD gears does this too, try driving it in some really slippery mud or a really dusty garage floor and you should see where the tyres are gripping and slipping. If I run mine suspended off of the floor it vanished, that's how I figured it out.

Having really grippy tyres made it worse, as did having alot of weight in the truck.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I had the same problem twice. The ABS feature on the GT3B somehow got turned on.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

yea, it's fixed, ABS was to blame.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
Proverbial threadkiller

Thanks for coming back with your findings.
Glad you got it figured out.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for this thread.....
I had this issue with a brand new GT3C.....my ABS was on...

The search engine is your friend ....... I'm a happy camper
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Weird "chugging" in reverse? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the Tekin B1R "low power in reverse" issue fixed? GWEEDZ Electronics 3 05-27-2011 12:50 PM
One "weird" looking snorkel MnRockCrawler Chit Chat 8 02-23-2011 03:50 PM
Weird question: What does the "M" in M2 or M3 stand for? cheesefart Tires and Wheels 50 04-23-2008 09:08 PM