Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is the exceed rc mad-torque worth the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is the exceed rc mad-torque worth the money?

Hello,
I have been into crawling for about a year and I am looking to buy a new crawler. I don't have money to spare because I just bought a traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate lcg, and I don't have money for an axial. But anyway I was looking at the 1/8 madtorque, yes it is cheaper rc and its lower quality, but I need a crawler and this is the only thing I can think of. So my question is that is this crawler really worth the money? Can I convert the 17mm hexes to 12mm hexes for 2.2 ripsaw tires w/ axial beadlocks? Would you put out the money for a exceed rc? I am looking to put 2 rc4wd 45t brushed motors in it. Is this a great set-up? Thank you for helping, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is the exceed rc mad-torque worth the money?

I have been hesitant about buying an exceed rc period. I had a 4wd stadium truck or truggy I think it was. It was utter crap. I have heard they have improved in quality for the crawlers but I still have a bad tast for exceed right now. I do know some die hard exceed guys though that swear the exceed crawler is better than any axial.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah well I came across extra money but I am going for a axial ridgecrest ax10, its all most like a wraith but it is a crawler maybe not a comp. crawler but its something, what about this ridgecrest? Would you buy it? thanks for the help, I appreciate it, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

exceed rc is the stuff that you cash and carry from convention shows...they prey on the kid that keeps tugging at dad to buy it cause it looks cool and is cheap.....then you realize for a little more you could get some hobby grade stuff that has a great aftermarket support and can get parts for it at the local hobby shop. just my 2 cents
DroopysGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #5

imo, You can build anything you want. As long as you have the right tools to get the job done an can mod things! this is a hobby after all is said an done
tobyjarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
In the band for now.

Having owned an Exceed crawler all I can say is that it was OK a best.
The customer support was the worst and trying to get parts was almost impossible at times.

If I knew then what I know now I would have bought an Axial product for a few bucks more, hell with all the cash I dumped into the Exceed I could of bought 2 Axial rigs.

Still comes down to your call, IMO I would save up some cash and go with something more reliable with better CS and aftermarket parts.

Good luck on what ever you decide on.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

I have had an Exceed Mad Crawler before and it required nearly every piece in the axles to be switched out and replaced with something retrofitted from quality RC brand rigs to make it usable beyond 10 feet of use. A tire change to something other then the stock tires that felt like hard plastic. A new servo that would turn the wheels ON the ground and not just turn them when you held the truck in the air. A different RX & TX that allowed it to go forward when you asked it to and allowed actual trim without monstrous glitching.

I have kept it through the years as a "remember my mistakes" kinda thing. (plus I am a hoarder) however, since all the upgrades it turned out to be a fairly dependable RC. If it came as dependable and usable as it currently sets for the same selling price... It would be a fair buy.... But the upgrades including the original purchase price totals out to be much more then new RTR Axial.

Would I buy another? NO

I will answer your question with a question....

Should you buy an exceed?
Why did you spend the extra for a Traxxas Slash for a Short Course truck instead of saving the money and buying one of those cheap Chinese short course truck knock-offs for 1/2 the money on eBay?

This is it

I never noticed before, but someone recently told me the picture resembles the RCC logo

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thank you for the help, I decide to go with an axial ax-10 ridgecrest for crawling cant wait to get it! Here is a few upgrades on my list for it:
- rc4wd 35t brushed crawling motor or the 45t either one
- Vanquish tie rod/ drag link
- axial 2.2 beadlocks
- HPI rock crawling tires (haven't decide yet)
Thank you for your time and help, it sure helped me, -axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thank you for letting me know, one of my friends had an 1/10 exceed rc "max stone" and the front diff. lockers broke in just the second run with it. We did a video comparing a axial scx-10 vs. the exceed rc and the scx-10 was mine and I tell you what with the tires I had on my rig and the tekin 35t motor it totally dominated it over anything, his was High c.g. and mine had a few mods like 4-link suspension and ect. But we went up a 55 degree mud hill and his just spun its tires and my scx10 just went right up, but besides the point, I am going with the new axial ax-10 ridgecrest for rock crawling, I am doing a few upgrades to it but trying to keep box stock as much as possible, here is the list for the upgrades:
- rc4wd 35t or 45t motor (non-rebuildable; just for know till I get enough money for a tekin system, Lol)
- Vanquish tie rod/ drag link
- axial 2.2 beadlocks
- HPI 2.2 rock crawler tires
So their is my list, I have almost all of axial's trucks; I have a fully upgraded axial wraith, a scx-10 with custom military body, and soon the axial ridgecrest, no I don't have the exo and don't plan on buying that one. But thank you for helping, I am glad I didn't buy that entry level exceed rc stuff, I have been an axial fan for 2 years and plan on being one for a while, well I appreciate it, and yes a tekin system is worth the same amount as an exceed rc is, Lol. - axial 4x4 crawler

Here is the list of all my rc's:
- Axial wraith fully upgraded w/ tekin rs and 10.5t brushless gen2 motor
- Axial scx-10 mostly upgraded w/ tekin FX-r and 35t combo
- Axial ax-10 ridgecrest a few upgrades w/ stock esc and rc4wd 35t motor
- Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate LCG w/ Castle Creations mamba max pro w/ 3800KV 4-pole racing system
That's all I have and they are well invested rc's but its fun for the hobby. - axial 4x4 crawler

Is the exceed rc mad-torque worth the money? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed mad torque Build dannymac Superclass Crawlers 17 01-30-2013 07:17 PM
Exceed Mad Torque CrawlerKing4805 General Crawlers 7 06-21-2012 10:04 AM
Exceed Mad Torque?? zero5rubicon Newbie General 2 12-29-2011 06:34 PM