Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: good starting rig for a shafty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default good starting rig for a shafty?

Being new to the hobby I'm trying to figure out all the different pro / shafty classes.
I'm also trying to figure out a good rtr or kit that make a great shafty starter. Something like the AX ridgecrest, ax deadbolt or maybe losi night crawler. The local guys (4 of them) have axial scale crawlers. I'm not looking for scale. I want performance more the looks. Plus I think the bodyless crawlers look cooler jmo

Being new I was instantly ready to build a 2.2 comp moa until I figure the $1000 starting cost and said f that, don't even know if I like crawling.

Kinda had my eye on the 1/18 slickrock since its so much like the losi MRC but seams the 2.2 has a larger fallowing.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Jfannin; 08-17-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Jfannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: good starting rig for a shafty?

Do you want to compete or just "hang out with the guys"?
- If you want to hang with the locals and still have some more performance I'd recommend an Axial Wraith. It's got the looks and can easily be made to crawl really well.
From a competition rule point of view it's a "Scale class 3" rig.
- For the 2.2S crawler class both LNC and AX10 are viable options.
The LNC performs better out of box, after proper modifications to make them comp worthy they're about equal. (You probably need to spend less money on upgrades for an LNC before the first competition, but in the long run the costs will be equal.)
There are more third party option parts available for the AX10, but I love my Losi.
- As you've noticed the smaller 1.9 class is less popular.

Do check out what competitions are held in your area, if you want to compete. One of the classes run there is what you should pick.
Try to find a second hand competition crawler of said class to start with. That should give you some vital mods virtually for free.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: good starting rig for a shafty?

Pro seems to be the go to beginner class now a days. As it had the biggest following and with the use of dig/burn, driver error can be corrected much easier.
With the support from vendors, axial ax-10 is the best route. It can be made to crawl with the pro rigs.. Heck, builds a comp worthy sporty, add a dig and it can be ran easily in both classes..

Either way.. You can find Pretty well built pro and shafty rigs in the for sale section for around 600$.. Some less, some more..

Of you end up liking crawling an your like most of us... You'll end up with one of Everything anyways..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

good starting rig for a shafty? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thinking about starting a new comp-rig..help team423 EnRoute Berg 21 11-04-2011 08:53 PM
starting rig heminutt Newbie General 7 10-28-2009 08:58 PM
Good scaler starting rig? under 200 bucks? traxxas4fun Newbie General 20 10-20-2009 04:38 AM
Starting of a tube rig.. snook Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 08-25-2006 07:13 PM