Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help me decide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

The controller is actually very nice for the price I've seen some for about 25 online. , For the motor the 27t axial is ok but for 10 more dollars get the Holmes Hobbies 30t.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help me decide!

You'll want a lower turn motor than 27 in an ascender I think. I want to say the axles and transmission are geared higher than the typical axial so what is slow in axial is not slow in an ascender.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I'll think about it. Another question, I know the front grill is hard plastic with light buckets (do those include the turn signals?), so what sizes are they? I'm guessing the obvious answer is 5mm, but if it isn't, let me know. Thinking of adding some LEDs to my list of potential upgrades plus maybe a PL light bar or two.
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You'll want a lower turn motor than 27 in an ascender I think. I want to say the axles and transmission are geared higher than the typical axial so what is slow in axial is not slow in an ascender.
Gearing is higher in the axles and lower in the transmission so the overall ratio nets out to similar to the Axial.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S. View Post
As for RTR, I wouldn't be able to model it after my cousin's truck unless I spent $50 more for another body-which I don't want to do. Yeah and RTR is cheaper, but I don't completely know my way around an Ascender and building one would fix that. An RTR scaler can sometimes be taking the easy way out IMO.

I typed up a long response to your questions then said f it, to wordy.

I have a scx10 kit and a scx10 rtr. I wish I didn't buy either of them, and just built the trucks from the ground up.

I suggest that you pick a couple rigs that are options and put them on a spreadsheet. Figure out all the thinks that you want to change and itemize the costs. Then in a separate column put the costs of building your dream truck and then a column with your realistic build.

Look at the costs and see which one gets you where you want to be. Then just buy it and get started.

I know what it took to get my rigs to where I want them, I also know that if I had the money up front it would have been cheaper to just do it right the first time and move on from there.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
RCC Addict

A 35t is perfect for the Ascender, then you can run on 3s if you want some more wheel speed to help you get up and over stuff. I ran my kit build with the kit pinion, Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Expert 35t and a Dynamite ESC (the same one that comes in the RTR kit) and I've always run it on 3s. Now I'm running a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL ESC, couldn't be happier with this setup!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Gearing is higher in the axles and lower in the transmission so the overall ratio nets out to similar to the Axial.
Ahh so they compensate in the trans. Thanks for the info.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Well I just got a pic of my cousin's truck (which I planned to base my Ascender on) and it's a 1980 Silverado, not the 1986 Blazer that's stock on the Vaterra. Now it may make more sense to buy the RTR version and later buy RC4wd's hardbody-which is based off the earlier Blazer. Maybe I could convert it into a pickup...

Now should I go for the RTR then? It does cost less and already has decent electronics so I juts might.

Does anybody know how fast and/or torquey the stock 35T motor is with a 3S LiPo? Thnx
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The rtr will serve you well remember that we all upgrade stuff over time so go rtr and Change and sell what you take off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
...front grill is hard plastic with light buckets (do those include the turn signals?), so what sizes are they? I'm guessing the obvious answer is 5mm...
Ascender headlight and turn signal buckets are 5mm, pretty standard for RC cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
A 35t is perfect for the Ascender, then you can run on 3s if you want some more wheel speed to help you get up and over stuff. I ran my kit build with the kit pinion, Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Expert 35t and a Dynamite ESC (the same one that comes in the RTR kit) and I've always run it on 3s. Now I'm running a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL ESC, couldn't be happier with this setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
The rtr will serve you well remember that we all upgrade stuff over time so go rtr and Change and sell what you take off
Yes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: Help me decide!

Okay so I may have run into a bit of a problem....

I like the Vaterra Ascender a TON. But I also love the Axial Yeti SCORE TT... And I may only be able to get one truck. I know, there's a massive difference between them, but I'm dying to get my hands on both.

Problem is, I'm only in high school, and my parents may not allow me to buy two more trucks (they want me to save up for a REAL car). I might have promised them that the next truck I buy would be my last, but that's also what I said before I bought a Traxxas Stampede...

So I thought that I should buy a truck that can do what both a scaler and TT can do, and my mind went straight to the Yeti. If I bought the SCORE TT along with bigger tires and a smaller body, I'd be able to go from there and convert it from TT to crawler when I wanted.

Then another problem presented itself... I talked my dad into buying a Wraith Spawn Kit (whose progress is going WAY too slow) alongside whatever I buy so we can both use the course we would build in the basement of our garage. If I buy the Yeti TT, he may think that I made him buy his truck for nothing, regardless of whether I buy crawling necessities.

All of this would be solved if my parents would let me buy both trucks, and I haven't told them my plans yet, so here's to hoping they will. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on what to do if they didn't.

Last edited by Wes S.; 04-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Okay so I may have run into a bit of a problem....

I like the Vaterra Ascender a TON. But I also love the Axial Yeti SCORE TT... And I may only be able to get one truck. I know, there's a massive difference between them, but I'm dying to get my hands on both.

Problem is, I'm only in high school, and my parents may not allow me to buy two more trucks (they want me to save up for a REAL car). .
That is a no brainer. The amount of freedom you will have from a real car is worth every hour of work, and every dollar you save.

I'll give you another piece of advice. I worked two jobs one of which was in the service, 7days a week for 4 years before I went to school.

When my friends where working long hours, and going to class only to come home to eat mac and cheese, I lived off those savings(and the GI bill) and had the best time of my life.

Sometimes a little sacrifice now pays of huge down the road.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Buy a cheap real car. Then you can buy both rc trucks. Problem solved.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That is a no brainer. The amount of freedom you will have from a real car is worth every hour of work, and every dollar you save.

I'll give you another piece of advice. I worked two jobs one of which was in the service, 7days a week for 4 years before I went to school.

When my friends where working long hours, and going to class only to come home to eat mac and cheese, I lived off those savings(and the GI bill) and had the best time of my life.

Sometimes a little sacrifice now pays of huge down the road.
You never know when a rainy day is coming up next. Eat well, live well, sacrifice as needed to get ahead in the long run...work smarter, not harder (and sometimes work harder and smarter), etc. I've done the two jobs at once, a tour in the service, went back to school more than once (get the education that is right for you, but learning is a never ending process), the rewards later in life are worth it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I typed up a long response to your questions then said f it, to wordy.

I have a scx10 kit and a scx10 rtr. I wish I didn't buy either of them, and just built the trucks from the ground up.

I suggest that you pick a couple rigs that are options and put them on a spreadsheet. Figure out all the thinks that you want to change and itemize the costs. Then in a separate column put the costs of building your dream truck and then a column with your realistic build.

Look at the costs and see which one gets you where you want to be. Then just buy it and get started.

I know what it took to get my rigs to where I want them, I also know that if I had the money up front it would have been cheaper to just do it right the first time and move on from there.
That's kind of funny when I got my first scx10 I didn't buy a kit or a rtr - I built it from the ground up because at the time I could afford all the parts at once. I spent hours and hours researching what I needed and what upgrades to get. I wish i had bought a rtr or kit and played with it a little before deciding on upgrades. I still have stuff sitting around from that original list that it turned out wasnt really what I had wanted. Later I got my son a rtr and although it cant really keep up with my truck. I was surprised at how well a honcho does out of the box.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwolf View Post
That's kind of funny when I got my first scx10 I didn't buy a kit or a rtr - I built it from the ground up because at the time I could afford all the parts at once. I spent hours and hours researching what I needed and what upgrades to get. I wish i had bought a rtr or kit and played with it a little before deciding on upgrades. I still have stuff sitting around from that original list that it turned out wasnt really what I had wanted. Later I got my son a rtr and although it cant really keep up with my truck. I was surprised at how well a honcho does out of the box.
lol I did that with my d90. Bought all kinds of crap I never ended up using, or it was redundant.

I just tore down my rtr scx10 renegade, and there was no reason! All innards were greased no grime at all. Just put it back together.

It makes sense that a person in a factory making 500 of them could build it better than myself. Quality control seems legit.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me decide! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to get? Help me decide. ka1fornia Axial Wraith 10 06-12-2013 02:03 PM
Help me decide. mhuffman_81 Newbie General 4 04-15-2011 05:19 PM
What should i do?? Help me decide!! shadowrejects Chit Chat 13 03-25-2010 11:01 PM
Help me decide......2 addictedtonitro Illinois 40 08-04-2009 08:08 AM
Cant decide which way to go w/ this one... loubek88 General Scale Talk 13 10-27-2008 03:08 PM