Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What your Crawling Style?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What your Crawling Style?

Slow and steady for crawling. I like to sit back and watch the suspension articulate, it's fascinating to me for some reason.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
Slow and steady for crawling. I like to sit back and watch the suspension articulate, it's fascinating to me for some reason.
X2

I drive "Scale" as if i were in the drivers seat and if i chose the wrong line, steering or throttle input it would hurt. Even though i could never afford a real one, I think probably far to much about the lines i would take. A video of 100% throttle, non tuned rig bouncing over rocks, though fun to watch bores me to death. It is to unrealistic to me even though it is a "Toy".
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
X2

I drive "Scale" as if i were in the drivers seat and if i chose the wrong line, steering or throttle input it would hurt. Even though i could never afford a real one, I think probably far to much about the lines i would take. A video of 100% throttle, non tuned rig bouncing over rocks, though fun to watch bores me to death. It is to unrealistic to me even though it is a "Toy".
Same here, for some reason watching the axels/suspension flex and articulate has a mesmerizing effect.
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #24
MODERATOR™

The suspension action is what got me into this stuff in 2004. I couldn't ever really explain to people why I liked it so much. I was looking for springs for my Honda race car and Google showed my a picture of Mudcow, the Clodbuster and I was like Then I saw one of JK's Mudcow videos and I was like, I know what hobby I'm about to get intah nah!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I like to drive our SCX10s super scale and slow. Both my dad and I have winches to help out if we get stuck. We'll winch up some rock faces that you wouldn't even try in 1:1, but that is the fun of driving a tiny truck.

I also have a 1.9 Wraith that I like to run around with, but that is still about 70/30 crawling/bombing.

What I can't stand is reckless or plain dumb driving by high-powered rigs. At Axialfest last year, dad and I were at the back of the pack due to some mechanical problems, and we found that there were a lot of lines completely destroyed by people bouncing up in Yetis and Wraiths. We actually ran across a group of people who were basically FOFFing up a steep sandstone incline; I literally watched the ledges and rocks erode away under their tires... And all three rigs had a winch!! I understand the need for an occasional bump or jump, but these guys were just destroying the trails.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
What I can't stand is reckless or plain dumb driving by high-powered rigs. At Axialfest last year, dad and I were at the back of the pack due to some mechanical problems, and we found that there were a lot of lines completely destroyed by people bouncing up in Yetis and Wraiths. We actually ran across a group of people who were basically FOFFing up a steep sandstone incline; I literally watched the ledges and rocks erode away under their tires... And all three rigs had a winch!! I understand the need for an occasional bump or jump, but these guys were just destroying the trails.
Same complaint a lot of people have about 1:1 drivers on the trails. Lol! You don't need finesse when you have horsepower I guess...
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
Same complaint a lot of people have about 1:1 drivers on the trails. Lol! You don't need finesse when you have horsepower I guess...
You don't need finesse all the time if you have power. Although there are lots of rigs out there that can finesse through climbs or jump them completely if desired. There are also ham fisted morons with big non sensored brushless systems that can't crawl on level ground blasting all over the place.

It's nice to have a rig that under light throttle will crawl very well but hammer on it and the tires get skinny and all hell breaks loose. That is very scale, just not the scale some are used to.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I'm all about the scale one lug at a time super tech crawling, but when your main rig is a scale Ultra 4 car, you can't be afraid to open it up and Shannon Campbell someone. Ultra 4s at idle are boring. Ultra 4s in the power band....now that's where its at.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

I am pretty slow and methodical about it. I'll get on it if I need to, but I try not to as speed breaks stuff. That's why I still run 2s and brushed 35T.
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Scale details and 1:1 replicated full bodied rigs.

I like to roll my RC crawler(s) slow, methodical
following my predetermined line of travel.
Watching the suspension's movement as it articulates/tire's flexing.
I don't force things but finesse them or choose another line.
Not a fan if the chassis/susp's movement looks excessive/extreme.

I'm not haulin' A like others here might...
but controllable power is... fun

3S over 2S anyday
'cuz ya can never have too much torque.

volt up / gear down

TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

waitwhatsthat? i am like you i have a heavily upgraded ax10 that goes nice and slow for crawling and my friend has a wraith spawn and my other friends have scx10s and they leave me in the dust in the straights but in the real technical stuff i stay nice and slow and go right by them
RatBoy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #32
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
The suspension action is what got me into this stuff in 2004. I couldn't ever really explain to people why I liked it so much. I was looking for springs for my Honda race car and Google showed my a picture of Mudcow, the Clodbuster and I was like Then I saw one of JK's Mudcow videos and I was like, I know what hobby I'm about to get intah nah!
I bought a clod immediately after seeing that vid. It was the push for me and a few locals to start building crawlers in late 2002 I think. Spent over 40 hours making that chassis with a hacksaw, file, punch, and cordless drill. My intro into fabbing. 3300mah 6 cell matched pack in the chassis, 55t lathe motors, 12t pinions, super rooster esc. Another 8 hours cutting and sanding the stock tires and narrowing rims so it would hook better. Didn't know what I was getting myself into!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Slow and easy .....eeasy .......eeeeeasy ... no NO .... Aww CRAP!

... and they all died ..... :(
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Slow and easy with my xr and comp trail rigs but a 4s pack inside for speed when the tires just won't hook. Trail rigs with sensored brushless systems for ability to crawl and with straightaway speed when needed, especially in the mud or on hill climbs. Sorry, slow and steady doesn't climb steep hills with loose dirt or sand.

An example of where speed is a good thing happened to me at our first comp. My 1.9 rolled down a hill and landed with a ton of deadfall leaves and pine needles. I tried just driving out of it and I wasn't moving. Hammer down and the tires started digging down to the dirt below. This was on flat ground mind you.

The thing that's always bothered me about "scale driving" is that no matter what you do on the trail, you can find a 1:1 rig that has been driven the same on YouTube and from all over the globe. U4 rigs on the rocks, rock bouncers on the rocks and the woods, mud trucks in the muck, even rock crawlers. Pulling a line slow is impressive don't get me wrong. But even 1:1 rigs with 100:1 reduction have gears to grab and rpms to use when they need to on the trail or the rocks. I like to replicate all of them depending on the situation.

Last edited by dna4engr; 05-04-2016 at 03:25 PM.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #35
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no contest, slow and technical
even at WOT none of my rigs can even out pace my walk.

spending 2 minutes to go 2 inches is fun to me.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I drive my crawlers like I would a 1:1, even the yeti mosta the time. I like to match my driving style to the vehicle. The scx10 is a modded street truck: its the slowest. The wraith is a big- axled, big-tired tuber so it would be driven more aggressively. The yeti is by far the fastest but its usually also the most broken...

I just get a kick outta knowing I ran the same esc as JRH back in the day. Super Rooster ftw!! Mine was in a Rusty. Soldering up 6 cell packs on my mom's dining room table- Those were the days...
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I like throttle and lots of it.

Sometimes I try finesse but it always ends up as BRAAAPP!
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #38
RCC Addict

It depends on what rig I'm driving and what the obstacle is...I'm slow and steady until I get to any sort of hill climb or boulder. I cut loose way more with the Wraith than the SCX10. Some obstacles are either find another way up or make use of 3S and brushless power, and I like having that ability more than taking a detour .
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #39
I joined the Band!

I don't have a crawler...yet. My driving style right now is full throttle. I'm gonna have to retrain the trigger finger

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TacoBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBox View Post
I don't have a crawler...yet. My driving style right now is full throttle. I'm gonna have to retrain the trigger finger

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
^^^This...

When I get my crawler, if I drive it anything like my SCT, my "style" is going to be on my roof, on my side, ect...
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote

What your Crawling Style? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow crawling nylint style 12voltfun General Crawlers 4 12-23-2009 08:55 PM
Crawling ATV style zumzum5150 Scale Videos! 7 05-14-2009 08:02 PM
Crawling K2 Style bbyrd22 General Scale Talk 4 05-03-2007 11:40 AM
The Southern Crawl......Crawling Event Southern Style Fishmaxx Competitions 76 07-19-2004 10:15 PM