Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed RC Stone 1/16 upgrades ( servos specifically)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Exceed RC Stone 1/16 upgrades ( servos specifically)

New to the forum so go easy on me. Did a quick search but figured I'd post a new thread regarding my specific situation and questions.

I've been digging this little crawler indoors and have been doing some things to improve it's performance before I ultimately build a small outdoor course for it. I've added weight to the wheels and chassis and fabricated a front skid-plate, trimmed the body, etc... and will be doing more later... rear-steer, batt upgrade if possible, etc.

This thing is cheap and I'm not surprised when looking over the parts. Already burned-up the steering servo... no surprise, but I need to find out what would be a good quality replacement. I've been out of the RC game for quite a while so... no idea as to digital, analog, core-less, etc, etc.

Case dimensions are approx 16.57mm x 31.22mm. Not sure of the height spec as it's in 3 pieces atm lol. The servo has no identifying brand, model, specs, etc fwiw.

Okay... I also have a Futaba S3003 from another buggy that I wouldn't mind using unless anyone sees a problem with that. It's obviously larger so I'd have to fabricate a new mounting plate but that's no problem. Just wanted to throw that out there.

So what would y'all do? Any suitable servo replacement that you could recommend? Thanks so much in advance.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Exceed RC Stone 1/16 upgrades ( servos specifically)

Welcome Drifter! I enjoyed reading about how you got into rc; thanks for sharing!

I found this and thought it might prove helpful to your search:

http://servofinder.3rdcompany.com
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #3

I have two new Redcat Everest-16s which are the same as your Exceed. One of my steering servos burned-up on third battery.

What I have done is ordered the ECX Temper 1/18 servo tray and larger 'Standard' size servos. The ECX servo tray/mount is a direct fit to replace the mini-servo tray/mount that comes with all the various clones of this model design.

My parts are due Monday so I can't report further but if you search around you'll learn that most folks with this model (Losi MRC, ECX Temper 1/18, Redcat Everest-16, HSP Kulak, Excees Maxstone 16) switch-over to a Standard sized servo.

My the way, check the 'Losi Mini Rock Crawler' section on this site for more threads about this model of crawler.
RGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

you can get any servo that fits your dimensions, there are plenty out there . just make sure it has a good amount of torque
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thank you both very much for the replies. I went ahead and fabbed up a bigger servo tray along with some beefy little mounts. I had no clearance issues and despite the tight tolerances of all the new holes and final placement of the new Futaba S3003 servo, it works and puts the original mini servo to shame. Also it was free which is nice for a first mod. I did have to do some custom trimming to the larger servo-horn to get it to not bind ( full lock passenger side) but that was no problem. Glad to also know that there are better small servos out there that will work just in case I need to ever go back to the smaller size. Now I need to find a replacement battery for the seemingly poor quality stock 1100 mAh NiMh battery pack.

The info that you guys provided will further help me when it comes time to swap out this servo to something better. Thanks again so much!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Will the Temper rear lock outs and axle shafts for the either the Exceed or Redcat to delete the rear steer?
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote

Exceed RC Stone 1/16 upgrades ( servos specifically) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed max stone speed mods Blackwidow jeep General Crawlers 1 08-21-2016 10:35 AM
Exceed 1/16 Max Stone? TheCrunge Newbie General 7 04-10-2013 01:47 PM
Exceed max stone 8 96transam General Crawlers 5 09-03-2012 10:49 PM
Exceed Max Stone 1/8 PONYBOY87LX General Crawlers 4 01-02-2012 05:49 PM
Exceed Max Stone parts needed mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 11-10-2011 05:54 PM