Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Force RC Hammerjaw Upgraded Front Drive Shaft Options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Force RC Hammerjaw Upgraded Front Drive Shaft Options?

Bought my girlfriend one of these, and with mild driving, we were in 3wd in a matter of minutes... Is there an upgrade front driveshaft option for this rig? It is not usable as is being this fragile. Too risky to take it on a trail day. Thanks for any assistance!
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Force RC Hammerjaw Upgraded Front Drive Shaft Options?

Was wondering about this rig and if they were any good.

Depending on the size of the output and input shafts you should be able to use any standard 5mm drive shaft to replace the factory ones.

Pics would help
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You might have some luck with this thread:

Force RC Northwood and Hammerjaw discontinued?

Also, from what I've gathered, you may get more life out of your front axle shafts if you adjust the endpoints on your radio. Turning down the steering rate will limit your steering angle, but may prevent the drive cups from chewing through the axle shaft. It's worth a shot.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

Out of the box the steering dual rate is set too high and the dogbones can bind, causing breakage.

Replacement axles may be difficult to find. These axles are wider than moat other HSP-made axles, so the Redcat E10 and Gen7 axles won't fit. You're probably going to need to use Wraith compatible axles, but the Hammerjaw axles are a larger diameter where they fit into the lockers, so to use an Axial compatible axle you'll need to swap out the spool too.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crawl Space View Post
Was wondering about this rig and if they were any good.

Depending on the size of the output and input shafts you should be able to use any standard 5mm drive shaft to replace the factory ones.

Pics would help
I wish that were the case, but unfortunately I meant to refer to the axleshafts (Totally my fault, I edited the OP!). The axleshafts that feed power out to the wheels, which unfortunately are going to be much more proprietary in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Out of the box the steering dual rate is set too high and the dogbones can bind, causing breakage.

Replacement axles may be difficult to find. These axles are wider than moat other HSP-made axles, so the Redcat E10 and Gen7 axles won't fit. You're probably going to need to use Wraith compatible axles, but the Hammerjaw axles are a larger diameter where they fit into the lockers, so to use an Axial compatible axle you'll need to swap out the spool too.
I have poked around a bit, and also gave the axle a better look over since yesterday. It is definitely a huge issue where the drive cup is eating into the axle shaft, causing a weakness. I have about 10 spare HPI Wheely King shafts because these would snap in the same place due to general weakness, but this Hammerjaw axle is literally chewing into itself... Limiting the steering angle will definitely help. You have to wonder if they did any basic testing on these after initial production, This broke itself wayyyy too easily. Great Feedback both of you! Trying to do a review for my RC Youtube channel, and didn't make it to far!

Edit: I was going to post a video of what I have up until now in my video edit of my review, which is basically just my intro, and all the running fotoage (Probably 5 minutes), But I haven't posted here in a while, and can't for the life of me remember what the video posting protocol is here....

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 03-22-2019 at 11:09 PM.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #6

the only way to post a youtube video here is to link it, or embed it. To embed it, start your video on youtube, then right-click and select "copy embed code". Paste that into your post, and you'll have about an 80% chance of it working. For some reason, around 20% of the time it'll just post text instead of embedding the video.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Force RC Hammerjaw Upgraded Front Drive Shaft Options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Force RC Northwood and Hammerjaw discontinued? TIME MACHINE 2.2 Scale Rigs 18 04-15-2019 07:10 AM
drive shaft options krank22 General Crawlers 12 03-05-2014 05:01 PM
so many drive shaft options? steveo 561 Axial SCX-10 2 05-16-2012 08:01 PM
wk drive shaft options Burge HPI Wheely King 11 06-04-2008 03:25 PM
drive shaft options????? rcjeepbuilder HPI Wheely King 14 02-01-2008 03:11 PM