Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cheap Ali Portals anygood?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #21

Default Re: Cheap Ali Portals anygood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
I sold that one last year, and it only needed oil changes and rotations. I get the bare bone Sports. We built a house and I couldnt afford to keep it. I have an 18 now and it’s mostly stock except for 33’ tires. This one has been pretty solid too. My wife drives the Grand Cherokees and we lease them. We’ve had 4 and only 1 was quirky sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm glad you've had luck with yours. I have friends and family that have had the opposite experiences. At least two had to replace their transmissions multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
If those are from GRC I would not hesitate to buy them. I am currently running a number of GRC parts and I have been very impressed with the fit and finish of their assemblies. BTW, this is my XJ.
Nice XJ! I used to hate those things, but the more time goes on the more they look good to me. It's crazy that the prices on those once disposable Jeeps are skyrocketing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Cheap Ali Portals anygood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i used to wheel with a group of guys that ran rigs like that funny thing was i was allways pulling them out of the sand and waiting for them to catch up lol

i was driving a old subaru and except the one time they pulled me up the hill it was usaly the other way around

Not surprised. I’ve seen jeepers stuck in grass. A lot jeeps wheelin around with open diffs and heavy bumpers on stock gearing.. and with drivers that don’t know what they’re doing.

Last edited by aqualungs; 12-30-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
If those are from GRC I would not hesitate to buy them. I am currently running a number of GRC parts and I have been very impressed with the fit and finish of their assemblies. BTW, this is my XJ.

Love XJs. I had a manual 2001.. man did it leak like a sieve. Lol, but I loved it.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poconoscale View Post
Currently fighting with Flysky over a gt5 that went wonky after a month. Warranty is nonexistent.

Sorry to hear that. I’ve used and abused it for a year and still going. Many good reviews, I think that their customer service is very bad. Too bad you got a bad unit, as I said, it’s a bet.
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Not surprised. I’ve seen jeepers stuck in grass. A lot jeeps wheelin around with open diffs and heavy bumpers on stock gearing.. and with drivers that don’t know what they’re doing.

dont laghf but i once got stuck in the grass on flat ground about a foot from pavement i had to use the high lift jack to push the car back off the grass

heres a quick vid wheelin with the heeps cause it dident happen with out pics lol

note the carnage to my custom bumper lol

https://youtu.be/qw170H_xn2s

atleast it wasent $300 like the one on the jeep that got all bent up just cost me a few sticks of welding rod to reinforce it and glue it back together lol it was my fault for not bolting it down all the way not to mention my stupidity for trying to yank a 5000lb jeep off of a sand burm with a 2000lb subaru
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:54 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
dont laghf but i once got stuck in the grass on flat ground about a foot from pavement i had to use the high lift jack to push the car back off the grass

heres a quick vid wheelin with the heeps cause it dident happen with out pics lol

note the carnage to my custom bumper lol

https://youtu.be/qw170H_xn2s

atleast it wasent $300 like the one on the jeep that got all bent up just cost me a few sticks of welding rod to reinforce it and glue it back together lol it was my fault for not bolting it down all the way not to mention my stupidity for trying to yank a 5000lb jeep off of a sand burm with a 2000lb subaru

Haha! Sand is challenging!! Definitely have to air down those tires and try not to get high centered. I had Detroit Trutracs on mine, which have helical gear limited slip . I never went on rock. Mostly sand, dirt, and mud. This gave ultimate traction in sand like your Subaru. My parents had 4 Subis. Love them. I also regeared to 5.56, so I barely needed gas to get over obstacles, which leads to tires not spinning, and crap breaking. In wet weather it was ridiculous. Usually stayed in 2wd unless things got bad.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #27

Sorry Guys, against my better judgement I gave in to the temptations of $109.79 shipped for front and rear and guess what, the front even includes the SOA. Here r some pixies and will be testing against my TRX4 and Gen8 portals. Will keep u all posted. Eventhough it says cnc it looks casted stuffs.
Will update afterwards. Any suggestion pairing it with toyzuki v2? Pro?Cons? Gearing?
Thanks in advance.....

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
yp.sebastian is online now   Reply With Quote

Cheap Ali Portals anygood? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD motors anygood Cypher Axial SCX-10 6 09-05-2011 08:14 PM
is that venom crawler anygood??? badnuz General Crawlers 9 04-02-2009 11:43 AM
Novak stuff anygood???? rcjeepbuilder Chit Chat 21 05-30-2008 11:40 AM
Is This Anygood Skater123 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 12-21-2004 09:19 PM