Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gmade GS-02 Double Cab info?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Gmade GS-02 Double Cab info?

Does anyone have one on here?

I think the initial transmission issues are now sorted but can't really find much information about them?

It's a toss up between this left field choice or playing it safe with another Axial (UMG10 Kit) or the Element RC Enduro.

I currently have a TRX4 with Traxxas Traxx and a SCX10.2 already. I have also previously owned an Enduro but sold it and bought another TRX4 which was a mistake in hindsight having two the same. So sold the TRX4 and now looking at adding something to build again.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gmade GS-02 Double Cab info?

The double-cab should have the new transmission housing. The old transmission housing was only in the earlier BOM kits I believe.

The GS02 is a nice chassis, but so is the Enduro. If you're looking for something unique like the Cantilever setup, then maybe pick up the GS02 BOM. If you're looking for more mods and aftermarket support, then pick up the Enduro.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I recently finished my Komodo Double Cab build. Haven’t had it on the course yet, but just by eyeballing it the front bumper doesn’t seem to have as good of clearance as most other trucks that I’ve seen. Also, lifting one wheel by hand it doesn’t have quite as much or as smooth of articulation as my UMG10. Even still, it was a really nice build and I was hoping for a truck to have different mannerisms as my other trucks anyway. Oh, the body that comes with the Double Cab is REALLY nice thick and stiff lexan With awesome detail and the stock tires feel very very good (just wish they were a smidge taller though). Haven’t owned an Element yet but it’s on my short list of next builds.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I quite like the body mounting system for the stock body, but I guess fitting another body may not work well or at all and have to resort back to body posts. The same can be said about the UMG10 though.

I'm not a fan of rear cages/truggy look on the GS-02 BOM.

I liked my Enduro with 12% over drive and of course the best shocks on any crawler kit are silky smooth. They seem to be getting nothing but good feedback and AE parts and aftermarket are now supporting the chassis which is great so more options.

I do like the UMG10 a lot visually and it's performance seems great... But what holds me back is it's really just a re-shelled SCX10.2 chassis that apart from the body and newer transmission it doesn't really bring anything new, but has almost limitless directions and support so not sure if that would be wise as two trucks with the same platform is better for parts been the same if you do break anything.

Is there a good community for the GS-02? I like having something different but not if parts support and upgrade paths are none existant.

I guess I don't want to be stuck with a model that's sub-par performance and not much support (gs02) the Enduro which appears capable and is growing community wise or the UMG10 just for looks and the newer transmission.

I guess there is no 'best' and I need to stop procrastinating and make the decision, embrace it for whatever it is and enjoy the hobby rather than worrying about what is the 'best' and most capable machine and the 'right' choice...

��
Old 01-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Have you considered the SSD Trail King? Seems to be a great kit. It's a forward mounted motor, unlike Axial & Enduro.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I consider each of my crawlers “the best”. Each one has things that it does better and worse than the others. I want a different driving experience with each vehicle and I love seeing what each one’s strengths are. I bought the UMG10 simply because I loved how it looked. It climbs amazingly well, but the shorter wheelbase makes descents and off camber sections trickier. I bought the Komodo Double Cab over the Element and several others because I love how it looks. The wider/lower bumper than my other crawlers is just a variable that I look forward to working around. If purely comp driving is your thing, virtually any crawler can be modded and tweaked to be ultra competitive. I keep brainstorming what my next build is gonna be and the moment I figure it out, I start looking at a different one. No regrets though. Hard to make a bad choice.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Have you considered the SSD Trail King? Seems to be a great kit. It's a forward mounted motor, unlike Axial & Enduro.
Good point. That’s one of the things that’s very noticeable with the Komodo Double Cab. It’s motor and weight is much more forward than my UMG10. SSD Trail King is a great looking truck for sure!
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Would you recommend any of the GS02 models over the others?

I see they do the TA Pro chassis version with 3 different types of the rear shock mounting and metal links along with a few other shiny metal bits but no body. I'd rather have a body so I think the GS02 BOM or Double Cab would be cool. I could add metal links down the road.

I'll take a look at the Trail King and the chassis layouts for the more forward weight bias.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The upgraded parts on the GS02 chassis kit are nice. Not sure if I’d consider any of them necessary. My Double Cab came with the aluminum shock and rod end balls as a bonus. May upgrade to the metal links after I see how the others hold up. For $280 the Double Cab’s body is really nice, as are the tires (stock wheels are not beadlocks so I bought a set). The chassis kit would require buying a body, bumpers, wheels and tires additionally but that’s typical with most chassis kits. No right or wrong. If you really like the look of the BOM or Double Cab I’d pull the plug and get one. Upgrade if needed.
Additionally, the Double Cab does have head/tail light stickers for the body, but also has molded light buckets that mount inside of the body that are led ready and comes with paint masks to mask the inside light area on the body so they’ll remain clear and act like a clear lens if led lights interest you. I wasn’t aware of this until I saw the parts in the box and instructions in the manual. Pretty slick if you ask me.

Gmade GS-02 Double Cab info? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GMade Komodo GS02 Double Cab King Dork G-Made Crawlers 6 12-16-2019 05:37 PM
58 VW Double Cab NatalieMorgan 1.9 Scale Rigs 88 07-15-2013 10:34 PM
Tacoma Double Cab / Regular Cab Mr. Ed General Scale Talk 6 04-27-2013 12:48 PM
RCMODELEX Double Cab Dab Cab video ray2286 Scale Videos! 3 03-05-2013 08:56 PM
Double J INFO Double J Chit Chat 109 09-14-2008 08:37 PM