Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 vs SSD Trail King - Help me decide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TRX4 vs SSD Trail King - Help me decide!

It's time for another truck & I've narrowed it down to either the trx4 sport kit or the SSD trail king kit. I'll want to keep the final weight on the lighter side & I'll be using a small-ish body (still undecided there too). While it won't be a dedicated comp truck, I will likely comp it here & there. I'm leaning towards the trail king & I've already got a truck with portals (gen that I'm very happy with, but there's just something about the trx4 that always keeps it in the running for me. Can anyone who owns both chime in with some pros & cons?
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 vs SSD Trail King - Help me decide!

I own both, but I haven't been able to use the Trail King yet. All I can say at this point is that the TRX-4 is much heavier than the Trail King.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The TRX-4 is going to probably feel very similar on the trail as the Gen8. I'd get the Trail King for something a little different. Two portal trucks sounds boring to me.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I was in the same boat as you...tho, I'm new to crawlers. My 1st was the Capra, and in trying to decide my second, i initially narrowed down my final choices to the TRX4 Sport, SCX10.2 Raw Builders Kit, Trail King Pro, & Gen8 P.A.C.K. (I REALLY like the VS4-10 Pro, but the cost was a bit high). I quickly eliminated the Gen8, as it's not a true 'kit'. Then I eliminated the SCX10.2, as upgrading it would end up costing at much as the VS4-10. Between the TRX4 & Tail King, I decided that, since I already had one rig with portals, I should get something different. Yes, there were other reasons, but the non-portal axles played a considerable part in my decision.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I own both, but I haven't been able to use the Trail King yet. All I can say at this point is that the TRX-4 is much heavier than the Trail King.
Good info. Do you think the difference is because the trail king uses titanium links & has no portals, or do you think it's because the trx4 is kinda overbuilt? Maybe a little of both? I'm assuming that the COG might be quite different between the two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
The TRX-4 is going to probably feel very similar on the trail as the Gen8. I'd get the Trail King for something a little different. Two portal trucks sounds boring to me.
That's what I'm thinking. I can always get a trx4 later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I was in the same boat as you...tho, I'm new to crawlers. My 1st was the Capra, and in trying to decide my second, i initially narrowed down my final choices to the TRX4 Sport, SCX10.2 Raw Builders Kit, Trail King Pro, & Gen8 P.A.C.K. (I REALLY like the VS4-10 Pro, but the cost was a bit high). I quickly eliminated the Gen8, as it's not a true 'kit'. Then I eliminated the SCX10.2, as upgrading it would end up costing at much as the VS4-10. Between the TRX4 & Tail King, I decided that, since I already had one rig with portals, I should get something different. Yes, there were other reasons, but the non-portal axles played a considerable part in my decision.
I had an scx10.2 at one point, but sold it. It was alright, but I was a little disappointed in the quality, especially for the cost. I just didn't bond with it. I like that the trail king is basically a modified scx10.2 platform though. One of my gripes with the scx10 is the center-mounted motor, which SSD has obviously addressed.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Good info. Do you think the difference is because the trail king uses titanium links & has no portals, or do you think it's because the trx4 is kinda overbuilt? Maybe a little of both? I'm assuming that the COG might be quite different between the two as well.
More because the TRX-4 is overbuilt. Everything about it is beefy. Even the inner fenders, which the TK doesn't have, are thick plastic. They are high quality, but add a significant amount of weight.

LSXGMC has a good point about not having another portal truck. Portals are an advantage in some situations and a detriment in others.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

The TRX4 also just has more parts. The portals with the extra gears will add weight, and like others said it’s just beefy in general. However I don’t think that’s a bad thing IMO. I appreciate that having the portals means more parts can be brass and not rotating weight. Such as inner and outer portal covers, which is one of the main reasons I attribute to my TRX4 being so capable.

With that in mind, I absolutely love my trail king. You really can’t go wrong with either choice. If you’re going to comp you will almost certainly get considerably more steering out of the Trail King.

Here are a couple videos of my TK and my TRX4 if you’d like to check them out.

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
The TRX4 also just has more parts. The portals with the extra gears will add weight, and like others said it’s just beefy in general. However I don’t think that’s a bad thing IMO. I appreciate that having the portals means more parts can be brass and not rotating weight. Such as inner and outer portal covers, which is one of the main reasons I attribute to my TRX4 being so capable.

With that in mind, I absolutely love my trail king. You really can’t go wrong with either choice. If you’re going to comp you will almost certainly get considerably more steering out of the Trail King.

Here are a couple videos of my TK and my TRX4 if you’d like to check them out.

I've watched all of your videos before, they're great! Our terrain here in the Phoenix area is about the same. The TK seems like a great truck. Pretty sure I'm set on it at this point. I'm sure I'll get a trx4 sometime too, but the TK comes first.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks Bob! Happy to hear you enjoyed them. The Trail King is a solid kit. I think you’ll be happy with that choice.

I’m going to be in the Phoenix area in a few weeks for a bit of a family reunion. I may holler at ya to see where the good rocks are.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
I've watched all of your videos before, they're great! Our terrain here in the Phoenix area is about the same. The TK seems like a great truck. Pretty sure I'm set on it at this point. I'm sure I'll get a trx4 sometime too, but the TK comes first.
I'm jealous of Topher's climbing spots every time I see them in his videos!

I think you'll love the TK. It's a very fun build. Haven't driven mine yet, but I'm anxious to do so.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I think you'll love the TK. It's a very fun build. Haven't driven mine yet, but I'm anxious to do so.
Time for a road trip to join us out west!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks! I'd love to. Not sure my girlfriend would be cool with a vacation just for crawling though! Might be able to swing a day out of it if we ever make it out that way though. I'd love to crawl with you guys.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks! I'd love to. Not sure my girlfriend would be cool with a vacation just for crawling though! Might be able to swing a day out of it if we ever make it out that way though. I'd love to crawl with you guys.
Hey Tim, there is always the Pro-Line By the Fire event in May, it is becoming one of the biggest events on the West Coast!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
My lease is up in July and the circumstances that brought me out here have changed so I’ve considered moving again, but the thought of not having calico basin in my “backyard” makes it really difficult to leave. Plus I like the weather and not having state taxes.

Quote:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This! Low key I always thought it’d be cool to get a little informal RCC gathering out here in Vegas with a small contingent of people that are able to make it happen. I think a few people may be out here for scale nats next month but I won’t be able to make it to any of that unfortunately as I’ll be traveling that weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Tim, there is always the Pro-Line By the Fire event in May, it is becoming one of the biggest events on the West Coast!
Ernie
I missed this last year because I ended up having to work till 2am and couldn’t stomach the drive after a few hours of sleep. Took the surrounding days off of work this time so I’m there for sure.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Ernie
It definitely seems that way. I'd love to. Maybe some day.

Quote:
My lease is up in July and the circumstances that brought me out here have changed so I’ve considered moving again, but the thought of not having calico basin in my “backyard” makes it really difficult to leave. Plus I like the weather and not having state taxes.

This! Low key I always thought it’d be cool to get a little informal RCC gathering out here in Vegas with a small contingent of people that are able to make it happen. I think a few people may be out here for scale nats next month but I won’t be able to make it to any of that unfortunately as I’ll be traveling that weekend.

I missed this last year because I ended up having to work till 2am and couldn’t stomach the drive after a few hours of sleep. Took the surrounding days off of work this time so I’m there for sure.
Well if you ever move to PA, for some odd reason, we can crawl here.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Can't say anything about the TRX4 other than people love them and the Sport seems to be the best option for most. As for the Trail King it is worth every penny. What I like:
  • Value, for $369 everything is quality and nothing needs to be fixed.
  • Balance, people suggest that this is just a modified SCX10.2 but my 10.2 has never felt this planted and stable.
  • Front Motor, it is scale, contributes to the balance, and is well made. Only gripe is they need to include the 23mm spacer to move engine cover forward.
  • Shocks, they are just awesome, buy some for your SCX10s.
  • Room for a huge interior. Can we say scale!

My only complaint is that I built it as a class 1 rig and that limits what I can do. I want my XL meaty tires and a light weight body so I can kill my other RCs. The capability is there and it tempts me to make the ultimate scale crawler every time I drive it.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You know you're welcome to join our group, as with the event our camp gets bigger every year! would be nice to spend some time with you!
Ernie

PS: And we have great rocks and no state tax in Oregon.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If it will make you feel better, the average Nevada residents pays the highest amount in taxes (between sales tax, excise tax, and various others) of the 9 states that don't collect income tax.

The rocks are pretty great though.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #19
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
It definitely seems that way. I'd love to. Maybe some day.

Well if you ever move to PA, for some odd reason, we can crawl here.
One of these days I want to get out there and go to PNC park, not sure if you’re close to Pittsburgh but if so I’ll holler when that trip’s coming.

Quote:
You know you're welcome to join our group, as with the event our camp gets bigger every year! would be nice to spend some time with you!
Ernie

PS: And we have great rocks and no state tax in Oregon.
Thanks Ernie! Definitely planning on stopping by and spending some time with y’all. Looking forward to meeting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If it will make you feel better, the average Nevada residents pays the highest amount in taxes (between sales tax, excise tax, and various others) of the 9 states that don't collect income tax.

The rocks are pretty great though.
Damn you and your logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Can't say anything about the TRX4 other than people love them and the Sport seems to be the best option for most. As for the Trail King it is worth every penny. What I like:
  • Value, for $369 everything is quality and nothing needs to be fixed.
  • Balance, people suggest that this is just a modified SCX10.2 but my 10.2 has never felt this planted and stable.
  • Front Motor, it is scale, contributes to the balance, and is well made. Only gripe is they need to include the 23mm spacer to move engine cover forward.
  • Shocks, they are just awesome, buy some for your SCX10s.
  • Room for a huge interior. Can we say scale!

My only complaint is that I built it as a class 1 rig and that limits what I can do. I want my XL meaty tires and a light weight body so I can kill my other RCs. The capability is there and it tempts me to make the ultimate scale crawler every time I drive it.
Agreed on all points. Sounds like you need a 2nd TK
Old 02-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #20

Quote:
One of these days I want to get out there and go to PNC park, not sure if you’re close to Pittsburgh but if so I’ll holler when that trip’s coming.
Nope. I'm 5 or 6 hours away on the opposite side of PA. I'm only about an hour away from Citizens Bank Park.

TRX4 vs SSD Trail King - Help me decide! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
SSD Trail King is now $369.99! SSD New Products and Great Deals 0 10-04-2019 03:13 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM
SSD RC Trail 1.9" Bead-locks on TRX4 high plains drifter Traxxas TRX-4 9 01-30-2019 04:01 PM