Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Decided on Traxxas Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Question Decided on Traxxas Summit

Hey guys. Before i fully commit to buying a summit, are there any other similar RC's in the price range that are as good or better? Figuring $700 with two batteries, charger and vehicle.
Live2Fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Decided on Traxxas Summit

This is a crawler forum so you are gonna get all kinds of suggestions on buying a crawler instead of a Summit.

Personally, Summits remind me of the toys kids get for Christmas except they cost 10 times price but will likely get the same amount of play time, a day or two.

ANY crawler is better then a Summit.

Maybe the Traxxas forums is a better fit for a Summit?

This is your third post started about this exact same topic, the advice you got in the first one is sound, and accurate.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It depends on how you are going to use it.

The Summit is really in a class all of its own. It can go over things and low speeds, but really isn't a crawler. It can go some what fast, but really isn't a monster truck. If you want faster, go to the E-Revo, if you more crawler, go to the Bomber. If you are interested in competing with it, there are no comps that allow the Summit.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
This is a crawler forum so you are gonna get all kinds of suggestions on buying a crawler instead of a Summit.

Personally, Summits remind me of the toys kids get for Christmas except they cost 10 times price but will likely get the same amount of play time, a day or two.

ANY crawler is better then a Summit.

Maybe the Traxxas forums is a better fit for a Summit?

This is your third post started about this exact same topic, the advice you got in the first one is sound, and accurate.
You're right and I did log said advice in my mind. I'm all over the place. Trying to find the best bang for my buck as well as something I won't grow tired of. My brother has an axial scx10 I messed around with today. What I didn't like was it was slow and purpose built to climb. What I found was I wanted to climb rocks a bit, a wood pile and then launch it off a small gap. Fly across the yard and hit some roots. If I want to jump it off a small drop in the woods I want to be able to.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

you can't really get just 1 truck or car to do all that
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have both the Summit & aTRX4 Chassis Kit. Both have the 2 speed transmission & locking diffs. The Summit is really a half breed it’s part 1/10th scale & part 1/8th scale. It runs on two 2s lipos in series so it’s equivalent to 4s. Being so wide it will not go some of the places a TRX4 will go. Anyway if I had to give one of them up it would be the Summit. You can put a brushless system in the TRX4 & be able to crawl with good control & hit 2nd gear with the diffs unlocked & it will scoot pretty good too. I’m still running the stock motor in mine with a HW1080 esc on 3s & it goes plenty fast for me.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Idk if you pulled the trigger but I'd think that you need to really consider what goes along with each as they're built for completely different "tasks". If you want to go slow and do technical trails and crawling then you shouldn't even consider the summit. If you wanna charge a battery pack and run sorta fast-ish then summit is the better choice. But if I wanted something to do what the summit is designed for, I'd go bigger/ faster/ more stable.. revo, stampede, emaxx, etc.

Crawlers are fun to modify and personalize... Something like the Summit not so much. I've got a brushless 4x4 Slash and a 2wd Stampede and they fill an itch... upgrades, mods, bodies. But they in no way compete with the attention that most ppl put into their crawlers.. leaf-sprung, linked, moa/ comp, hard-bodies, etc, etc. Lots of different realms within the "crawler" category.

Platforms like the TRX4 can become addicting... so much fine tuning, scale accessories, upgrade directions, unique challenges/ solutions, and aftermarket support. If you have the time or desire to get into that kind of thing... don't waste your money on a Summit. I like my Slash and Stampede but I don't run them at all as long as my crawlers. Boredom with go-fast rigs can catch you off-guard pretty quick... especially if you're not doing crazy jumps and stunts.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #8

Awesome explanations guys. I guess my idea for wanting to get into RC came about while sitting on the front steps. There's a basketball hoop by the rd. Would be fun to get home from work and drive over it/ jump off it at speed. Also tear up some grass. Climb up or down some steps or fly off the deck. We have hiking trails around us but they're not very rocky. Some mud, a stream, drop off for mountain bikes, roots, e.t.c. that's the type of stuff I'm interested in. I agree that the summit doesn't look like it'll crawl well, but crawlers don't look like they can be launched without enduring some damage. The other ones mentioned look like they're too low to drive over some rocks where the summit looks like it could possibly, but the TRX-4 is obviously more capable in that department. I'm at a loss as I do have money to spend and am interested in getting into RC but without knowing exactly what I like and not having any experience with it all I'm stuck by opinions and research. Trying the scx10 today I was bored fairly quick, wanting to go faster & launch it off my deck and such.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Decided on Traxxas Summit

Maybe you want to look at the new traxxas Maxx.. might sound a bit more up to your speed. Then if you decide you want a crawler later pick one up to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fricker08; 06-14-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I agree with Fricker08. Def don't see you with a crawler... not atm anyway. But yeah.. you can pick up a brushless Maxx for $529. RTR 1/10 and a pretty solid truck.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The 4s maxx is the new kid on the block. The slightly older Armma 4s cars are pretty good too for slightly less.

They have open differentials like the summit which means they don't crawl well.

Summit I believe has a brushed motor, that makes it better at slower then the other cars mentioned.

The trx4 can bash (which I think is what your wanting) but not as well as the rest here, I wouldent recomend it for bashing though. It rolls over too easy.

The axial wraith or Capra might work too. Not really jump cars like the maxx though.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #12

Ok. So EREVO VXL you guys have turned me to. After watching videos this seems my speed. Two questions. Can I raise it up suspension wise? Also, which battery set to get? 3s or 2s? I want to buy the "completer" pack. Lastly, where is reputable place to buy with decent pricing? Looking like $800 between batteries & car if I buy from traxxas.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

You can run either 2S or 3S with the VXL esc. But if you're gonna stick with the Traxxas lipos then you'll have to use only Traxxas ID chargers or buy an adapter. IMO Traxxas batteries are WAY overpriced but up to you. Make sure to set LVC on the esc if you're planning to run lipo instead of NiMH batteries ( it's in the manual... please read it).

Also idk about the charger that you're planning to use or that comes with the Revo you're getting but if it's the basic Traxxas 2 amp peak detection fast charger then you're not going to be able to use it for lipos. If you're gonna go with Traxxas lipo batteries, you'll need a Traxxas ID charger like the #2970 EZ Peak charger.

You can raise up the body by raising the body mounting posts a notch or two., but you're not going to noticeably raise up the chassis from the ground.. and that also throws off the handling a little bit.

Last edited by high plains drifter; 06-14-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

be prepaired to replace all the electronics fairly quickly if you buy it directly from traxxasss it will come with blown electronics right out of the box ok so maybe it.dosent mater were it came from and i might be exagerating some but traxxasss has the worst rtr electronics of all the brands most every traxxass esc or servo ive used went up in smoke first pack maybe its just me or maybe traxxassss hates me lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The summit is a fun truck. It has it's own place being a oversized truck it is. It's good for all round larger climbing things. It's ok at going somewhat fast over rough terrain. It's no crawler truck by all means. I really like my summit but its stock and mayne one day I'll start upgrading it. Like some of the others have said. You might want to look at a maxx 4s.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna ask...are you taking advantage of YouTube videos? They are a priceless resource for RC shopping. There are tons of videos on most Traxxas models, especially the Summit, as it's been around for many years. You'll see guys doing all kinds of things with various models, which will help you draw a conclusion. Judging from your explanation of how you came to the idea of getting an RC, I do think some sort of 4x4 basher is what you should start out with, and maybe something as simple as a Traxxas Stampede 4x4, which is a highly versatile platform, and much cheaper to upgrade and modify. You can add thicker oil to the differentials and give it better off-road control for trailing, while still retaining acceptable maneuverability at speeds. Plus, a Stampede will take many different sizes of 2s-3s batteries, whereas the Summit and MAXX are more restrictive. Many times I considered a Summit, but hated the idea of having to use two equal capacity batteries and of a limited size. Something to think about!
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #17

So I am curious. Which RC did you end up getting?
SF RC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
You're right and I did log said advice in my mind. I'm all over the place. Trying to find the best bang for my buck as well as something I won't grow tired of. My brother has an axial scx10 I messed around with today. What I didn't like was it was slow and purpose built to climb. What I found was I wanted to climb rocks a bit, a wood pile and then launch it off a small gap. Fly across the yard and hit some roots. If I want to jump it off a small drop in the woods I want to be able to.
Axial wraith comes to mind. I was just watching a video the other day where John of Holmes Hobbies was making a case for faster motors in crawlers and how wheel speed is useful. Of course the Wraith he used had all of his electronics in it, but he pretty much did all the things you mentioned. The sacrifice would be the flying across the yard bit. My friend has an xmaxx and it’s a beast. I run my short course Losi when he brings that out and there’s certainly no crawling involved. The max is a beast and is better suited to driving over or through things than crawling on or over them. Sounds like you need to start with two to meet your needs.
Boomer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, you will probably want a Summit. If you can get past the looks of the monster truck that is. It fits the bill for your requirements to the T, and are very durable. I know, I have one. This is not only a crawler site, but one mostly devoted to being scale looking as well. I say buy your Summit, BUT go to fleabay and get Slayer arms, prop and tie rods, and some short course wheels (12 mm hex will work, drill the center out to 6 mm) and 2.2 tires to mount. Google a Summit LT. When I got mine, I intended to do this very conversion. Now, years later, it's getting chopped up to finish a scratch build because of the stoutness of the format and its 2 speed tranny.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Boom Racing BRX10...best $600 i've ever spent.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Decided on Traxxas Summit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Summit/Slayer (Summit Lt) Trail Truck SummitOner Traxxas Crawlers 21 09-20-2021 11:38 AM
Traxxas summit cj30 Newbie General 0 02-05-2015 05:33 PM