Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hobao Dc1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #1

Default Hobao Dc1

Looking at buying another scale crawler. I'm in Australia so rc is very expensive. I was about to get Redcat Gen8 V2 but for the same money ($550) I can get the Hobao Dc1. It hasn't got the portal axel but it looks superior from a material point. Part support is the same for both models. I have crew other Hobao RCS and they are all pretty robust. Just cannot find much info on the Dc1.
Coopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hobao Dc1

Habao isn't popular here in the states but from looking at photos, I think I'd go with the Redcat if the costs/support were the same. The Habao looks nice but some little things like the bolts sticking down from the bottom of the axles leads me to thing they haven't got the design thing right so what else haven't they though through? Again, no experience with them but just from an observation point.

Just curious, why is RC so tough/expensive in Austria? You folks are the pinnacle of off roading so you thing our "toy trucks" would be a popular hobby there as well. Do you have access to Traxxas RC at all?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

with out knowing anything about the hobo and just looking at the pictures and reading the discription i would go gen8
the aluminum skid plate will hang up on everything and the screws hanging below the axle and the flimsy looking driveshafts i would imagine there would.be alot of failures with it the short 12.3 wheelbase and the 22" long body im betting it performs like poop
the other hand it has a 2 speed trans and some kind of drive train disconect what ever that is i though it ment locking diffs but the pics show a spool in the pumpkin so second guess would be some kind of dig i dont know
with out knowing it looks like a pile of china dung to me
the gen8 is also china dung but made to american dung standerds for what ever thats worth but its also been tested to death and overpowered from the factory and there still holding there own i dont know if the hobo can do that

at the bottom of the page is a similer thread section there is a hobo video the poster also has or had a gen8 he would be a realy good person to ask as he has exsperiance with both i asume lol

HoBao DC1 at CDM Rocks

Last edited by ferp420; 05-20-2021 at 08:29 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The HoBao DC1 is a tank in durability. The plastics are pretty good quality and everything chassis related is made in-house in Taiwan. They have their own CNC and Injection molding machines. If you guys are familiar with OFNA, HoBao used to provide them with their buggies for rebranding under the OFNA brand. They're tough R/Cs and take a beating.

The skid is plastic, it just has those useless roller bars that neither hang nor help. For the link mounts are weird design, but it doesn't hurt it too much. The trick is to take out those cap screws they're using and use button head screws to screw in the link mount from the bottom instead of the top so that the lock nuts are at the top.

It's just got 2-speed only. No dig.

The stock tires.... suck. This is what you need to change. Change the tires to 4.75 or 4.19 Pro-Line KM3s or something similar with good compound.

The Gen8 Scout II body is bigger than the Hobao DC1 body.
The Gen8 Scout II plastics feel weaker than the Hobao plastics.

The Gen8 as a chassis will crawl better than the HoBao chassis on more difficult extreme stuff (attempts at climbing up walls).

Both will do great out on the Trail with trail terrain and rocks.

I like both rigs.

Where the Hobao really shines is out on the trail doing scale crawling. It looks fantastic out there doing that kind of stuff.

This is the kind of terrain that the Hobao excels at.

Last edited by soze; 05-20-2021 at 09:55 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The HoBao DC1 is a tank in durability. The plastics are pretty good quality and everything chassis related is made in-house in Taiwan. They have their own CNC and Injection molding machines. If you guys are familiar with OFNA, HoBao used to provide them with their buggies for rebranding under the OFNA brand. They're tough R/Cs and take a beating.

The skid is plastic, it just has those useless roller bars that neither hang nor help. For the link mounts are weird design, but it doesn't hurt it too much. The trick is to take out those cap screws they're using and use button head screws to screw in the link mount from the bottom instead of the top so that the lock nuts are at the top.

It's just got 2-speed only. No dig.

The stock tires.... suck. This is what you need to change. Change the tires to 4.75 or 4.19 Pro-Line KM3s or something similar with good compound.

The Gen8 Scout II body is bigger than the Hobao DC1 body.
The Gen8 Scout II plastics feel weaker than the Hobao plastics.

The Gen8 as a chassis will crawl better than the HoBao chassis on more difficult extreme stuff (attempts at climbing up walls).

Both will do great out on the Trail with trail terrain and rocks.

I like both rigs.

Where the Hobao really shines is out on the trail doing scale crawling. It looks fantastic out there doing that kind of stuff.

This is the kind of terrain that the Hobao excels at.

Thanks for that. I find Hobao to be the strongest RC cars. My older Hyper 7 nitro buggy is 12 years old yet I've never broken a part or had anything (other than engines) wear out.

Still not sure, I think the Dc1 looks better and will be stronger than the Redcat but lacks the ground clearance.

If I had the money I'd get the Axial 10iii but they are stupidly expensive in Australia.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post

Just curious, why is RC so tough/expensive in Austria? You folks are the pinnacle of off roading so you thing our "toy trucks" would be a popular hobby there as well. Do you have access to Traxxas RC at all?
Tax, smaller market, remoteness, low population, worthless dollar against the US currency... All adds up

Traxxas are available (most RC brands have a seller here) but the Trx4 is about $900 and the Redcat is $600...
Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

sounds like hobo is better at building rigs than they are at writing discriptions of there rigs lol
i would still go gen8 i realy enjoy mine and even if i dident i would still buy one

i have a full size scout II so im kinda biassed already
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

Hobao Dc1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HoBao DC1 at CDM Rocks soze Scale Videos! 0 10-22-2019 05:23 PM
HoBao DC1 - Morning Crawl soze Scale Videos! 1 03-04-2019 07:13 PM
Old rusty my hobao dc1 Ctash1981 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 02-11-2019 02:52 PM
HoBao DC1 - Hill Climb soze Scale Videos! 2 11-26-2018 02:38 PM
My Hobao DC1 build Theraggyone 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 11-12-2018 03:45 PM