Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: FriXion Rekoil shocks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default FriXion Rekoil shocks.

I'm not sure these have been discussed before (I couldn't find anything) but has anybody tried these shocks?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/frixion...x1001/p1280205
I'm looking for some reasonably priced shocks for my bomber but I don't know, and can't find, any real information about these shocks.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: FriXion Rekoil shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
I'm not sure these have been discussed before (I couldn't find anything) but has anybody tried these shocks?
I'm looking for some reasonably priced shocks for my bomber but I don't know, and can't find, any real information about these shocks.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/element...%20the%20first

I don't know anything about the Frixion shocks, but would suggest these, they are one of the best on the market besides the Dravtech big bores.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-16-2022 at 10:11 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I second the Element Enduro shocks. Also, the Traxxas GTS shocks (what's on the TRX4 & TRX6) are equally good.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Both excellent suggestions, just kind of pricey.

The Frixion shocks are half the price of the Element shocks (which I know have an established reputation) so I was curious if anyone has given them a chance yet.

I might just pull the trigger on them regardless and see if they're worth their price.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:

at 45 per pair, that's 90 per set of 4. so they are on par with TRXs or the Elements or Proline PowerStrokes even.

Not seen much about them myself. Seen someone won a pair at the even in Alabama last week.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

These are made by Pitbull RC BTW, not sure why they chose to brand it differently.

I picked up a set to use on a leaf spring build. I removed the coil springs and have been running the shock all by itself so I cant really speak to how they perform as a coil over. They do feel decent and have not leaked yet. They do provide two different sets of springs to use which is a nice touch, one is a single spring and the other is a dual spring.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Oh ya, that's right. I recall hearing they were PitBulls Shocks now that you point it out.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
at 45 per pair, that's 90 per set of 4. so they are on par with TRXs or the Elements or Proline PowerStrokes even.

Not seen much about them myself. Seen someone won a pair at the even in Alabama last week.
I just double checked the pricing. I somehow missed that the Flexions were only a pair rather than a set of four. I guess they'd all cost about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
These are made by Pitbull RC BTW, not sure why they chose to brand it differently.

I picked up a set to use on a leaf spring build. I removed the coil springs and have been running the shock all by itself so I cant really speak to how they perform as a coil over. They do feel decent and have not leaked yet. They do provide two different sets of springs to use which is a nice touch, one is a single spring and the other is a dual spring.
I thought I remembered seeing them listed alongside the pitbull Kronics but I couldn't remember where I found them. I didn't know they were still made by pitbull.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just double checked the pricing. I somehow missed that the Flexions were only a pair rather than a set of four. I guess they'd all cost about the same.

I thought I remembered seeing them listed alongside the pitbull Kronics but I couldn't remember where I found them. I didn't know they were still made by pitbull.
I have both Element and FriXion Shocks both are great of course you cant beat the Element shocks one of the best shocks all around for crawlers but I admit the Frixion shocks are really nice and work great on my medium weight bronco 7.5 lbs with no shock oil and the firmer springs included and are all aluminum the Element shocks do have a kit to make them fully aluminum and brings the price up $80.00 dollars above the price of the Element shocks so your looking at $160.00 and change and do I have one set of Elements with he upgrade kit and they are great and just as durable as the Stock plastic shock cap/ spring cup/ cap bottom and shock collar, and no difference I performance seen just looks and maybe durability but the kit is flawless no leakage and they are bulletproof check the link! Ill take a pic of my Bronco and post a pic here later! BUZZZZ......

here is the link to the Element Enduro Aluminum Shock Parts Kit

https://www.amainhobbies.com/element...c42079/p977603
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I also have a set of Pitbull Kronics on my TRX4 main Rig and they are amazing and nice looking shocks just too Damn Expensive but they have not failed and I probably will switch them to a lighter rig and put some beefier shocks on my TRX4 maybe the Element shocks..... All 3 of those shocks are great no leakage and perform well! Its just the application that will make it work or Not
Here is a pic of the Kronics really nice shocks but outrageously expensive as most PitBull products 1/10 and 1/1......

BUZZZZ.....
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I appreciate the input Honey.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but these shocks are destined for a bomber that'll be ~7 pounds, running a HW Axe 2800. So I'm looking for something can handle some abuse.

I have plenty of 1st hand experience with the GTS shocks and I love them for a scaler but I don't know if how much I'd trust them in a racing/bashing build. Or something high speed and high impact.

I think the larger shock body of the Enduros might be better for the high impact use on my bomber. But they're limited to a single length. (I might want longer/shorter shocks or mismatched lengths)

The Frixion look like they're similar in shape to the GTS but offer several lengths. They also come with a lot of "premium" features for a low price. That usually seems to indicate a product isn't that good to begin with. Due to the scale appearance, I might have the same (admittedly untested) issues as I would with the GTS shocks.

I'm also looking at the PL Powerstoke Slash shocks as these should be "basher" shocks.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:08 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I'll also toss out the SSD Shocks are really good as well.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I appreciate the input Honey.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but these shocks are destined for a bomber that'll be ~7 pounds, running a HW Axe 2800. So I'm looking for something can handle some abuse.

I have plenty of 1st hand experience with the GTS shocks and I love them for a scaler but I don't know if how much I'd trust them in a racing/bashing build. Or something high speed and high impact.

I think the larger shock body of the Enduros might be better for the high impact use on my bomber. But they're limited to a single length. (I might want longer/shorter shocks or mismatched lengths)

The Frixion look like they're similar in shape to the GTS but offer several lengths. They also come with a lot of "premium" features for a low price. That usually seems to indicate a product isn't that good to begin with. Due to the scale appearance, I might have the same (admittedly untested) issues as I would with the GTS shocks.

I'm also looking at the PL Powerstoke Slash shocks as these should be "basher" shocks.

I hear YA! Big Bores are great too InTheWorksRC makes nice solid ones also HotRacing shocks take quite a beating and don't leak in my experience with 3 sets in the past! Keep us posted on what you get and works for your Bomber BUZZZZ....
Old 04-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I might just grab a few different sets of shocks and try them all.

I really like the build quality and the feel of the SSD shocks as well but again, they only come in one size and I don't know how they'd hold up to abuse.

I think I'll definitely end up going with "basher" shocks, just gotta decide which ones.

I'll definitely post an update once I decide on something

Old 04-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Those shocks are too short for a bomber. I ran whatever proline big bores we're made for it when I had mine. I redid the springs and whatnot and it handled pretty well.

I still have them in a box if you want to go that route.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:24 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Those shocks are too short for a bomber. I ran whatever proline big bores we're made for it when I had mine. I redid the springs and whatnot and it handled pretty well.

I still have them in a box if you want to go that route.
I was looking at a few threads here where people used a slash shock set (90 front, 100 rear) and I like the lowered stance. I realize that's not exactly conducive to a desert racer/U4 type build though.

By too short do you mean they're shorter than OEM or just too short for what I want (or what you were doing with it) to use it for?

I'd be interested in grabbing those shocks from you depending on you price and their condition. I lost a spring retainer on my last drive so now I "need" new shocks anyway. PM the details if you're looking to let them go.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I decided to go with a set of FriXion 105-110mm shocks (among other upgrades), should ask be here next Thursday.

I'll give them a fair shot and update this post with my thoughts.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I decided to go with a set of FriXion 105-110mm shocks (among other upgrades), should ask be here next Thursday.

I'll give them a fair shot and update this post with my thoughts.

I Think youll like them a lot If your rig is not too heavy under 7lbs try them with no shock oil just lube the shock shaft and they work great but I do have mine with shock limiter strap! they articulate nicely like the element shocks but more compact and thinner. BUZZZZ....
Old 04-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
I Think youll like them a lot If your rig is not too heavy under 7lbs try them with no shock oil just lube the shock shaft and they work great but I do have mine with shock limiter strap! they articulate nicely like the element shocks but more compact and thinner. BUZZZZ....
I'll try to get/keep it under 7 pounds, we'll see what happens. But I'll be running limiting straps anyway to prevent the pistons from hammering the bottoms off the shocks, so I think I'll get some leeway.

My bomber will end up being a go-fast (ish. 15-20 mph probably). I don't know about running them with no oil, but I'll try it out. We'll see if they can handle the abuse of rapid cycling. I'm ready to replace them with GTS long shocks if the FriXions don't work out.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'll try to get/keep it under 7 pounds, we'll see what happens. But I'll be running limiting straps anyway to prevent the pistons from hammering the bottoms off the shocks, so I think I'll get some leeway.

My bomber will end up being a go-fast (ish. 15-20 mph probably). I don't know about running them with no oil, but I'll try it out. We'll see if they can handle the abuse of rapid cycling. I'm ready to replace them with GTS long shocks if the FriXions don't work out.

if racing or semi bashing definitely fill them with shock oil at least 30 weight oil should give you some decent stability so your not rolling over all the time BUZZZZ....