Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2022, 05:43 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Both platforms are really good. Lots of aftermarket mods out there for both. I love my trx4. I've got lots of upgrades in it but still need to upgrade the electronics in it. I've also got the scx10.3 gladiator, still stock waiting to ever have time to work on it. Don't think you can go wrong with either one at the end.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #24
RCC Addict

So as a follow-up to this discussion, I ended up buying both yesterday afternoon. Haven't had a chance yet to connect a battery and do an initial run with the SCX but I must say I'm pretty impressed with the TRX4 2021 Bronco. The top speed difference between hi gear in Trail mode and Sport mode was a LOT more than what I was expecting. My kid really wanted something to go fast and he's pretty happy with it right outta' the box. I'm also quite impressed with the stock tires on the TRX4. Pretty sticky and pliable for a stock tire and I actually managed to get them pretty twisted up on rocks and they just went right back to shape afterward. The only thing that's a little disappointing is that the TRX4 doesn't come with a light kit installed. Not a huge deal but would certainly make evening/dusk runs a lot better. All in all so far I'm not disappointed in the TRX4 and I feel like Traxxas may have actually gotten some things right. Even got a 1-up on Axial but putting in a battery forward plate right outta' the box. Not sure how you would do that on the SCX.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Old 09-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Pics of the Gladiator right outta the box

I will say that I like the SCX10.3 tires better than the TRX4. They seem to have better grip. Not certain, though, how I feel about the DIG. I'm almost thinking the truck might be more well-rounded if I switch the servo over to the 2-speed. But I also haven't heard great things about the 2-speed trans in this thing. Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #27
RCC Addict

And just for shits & giggles

Old 09-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #28
Slow is the new Fast

I have neither rig, so have no objective comments towards the OP. However I will say I do appreciate your final decision to get both . You got the inevitable out of the way

I have read that the gearing in the Axial two-speed is not disparate enough to make running it worthwhile. Likely the same thing you have heard
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler.boy View Post
Damn that Axial looks great.

This is the best looking Crawler of them ALL out of the box ,

Why 2speed in Crawler ?
More trouble, more service ?

What is DIG ? hmmm
A guy I used to run with had the 2-speed trans ( TRX4) and asked me to remove it. By the time I had pulled the mini-servo, gears, and hardware I have to say that the weight reduction was significant. Threw it all in a zip-lock bag and although I didn't weigh it, I could tell it was going to improve the handling of his rig and it did. It wasn't just the weight savings but getting rid of that weight up high. Definitely lowered the CoG.

Keeping the two speed is really only "beneficial" if you want to watch your rig roll around a bit faster on trails... like "look at it go!" and if you want to watch it catch a little air and get sketchy over little jumps. So not really a benefit for a dedicated crawler.

I will say that there have been some times that I wanted a little xtra wheel-spin on loamy/ loose dirt climbs and it does help in that regard but overall I'd say that it can be just as much of a hindrance due to causing the rig to more quickly dig itself in as well as compromising controlled ascents.

Lockers are definitely more of an asset than a 2-speed in a crawler. Like I said, if you want some added wheel-spin or some additional speed, those are really the only reasons to keep it. In the greater picture, I think that getting rid of it and reducing all that weight, as well as lowering your CoG is much more beneficial and a pretty justifiable reason to convert to single speed.

BTW- Dig is a feature that allows you to lock the rear axle in order to achieve a tighter turning radius. I've rarely used the function on my Capra but it's a legitimate feature.

EDIT> Sh0rtBus That Axial looks killer! Jealous. Both look great but I love that Jeep body and those tires.

Last edited by high plains drifter; 09-07-2022 at 09:05 AM.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
A guy I used to run with had the 2-speed trans ( TRX4) and asked me to remove it. By the time I had pulled the mini-servo, gears, and hardware I have to say that the weight reduction was significant. Threw it all in a zip-lock bag and although I didn't weigh it, I could tell it was going to improve the handling of his rig and it did. It wasn't just the weight savings but getting rid of that weight up high. Definitely lowered the CoG.

Keeping the two speed is really only "beneficial" if you want to watch your rig roll around a bit faster on trails... like "look at it go!" and if you want to watch it catch a little air and get sketchy over little jumps. So not really a benefit for a dedicated crawler.

I will say that there have been some times that I wanted a little xtra wheel-spin on loamy/ loose dirt climbs and it does help in that regard but overall I'd say that it can be just as much of a hindrance due to causing the rig to more quickly dig itself in as well as compromising controlled ascents.

Lockers are definitely more of an asset than a 2-speed in a crawler. Like I said, if you want some added wheel-spin or some additional speed, those are really the only reasons to keep it. In the greater picture, I think that getting rid of it and reducing all that weight, as well as lowering your CoG is much more beneficial and a pretty justifiable reason to convert to single speed.

BTW- Dig is a feature that allows you to lock the rear axle in order to achieve a tighter turning radius. I've rarely used the function on my Capra but it's a legitimate feature.

EDIT> Sh0rtBus That Axial looks killer! Jealous. Both look great but I love that Jeep body and those tires.
I wasn't actually certain about the 2-speed and it's usefulness in the TRX4 but I gotta say it adds a certain level of fun to driving it. It's more of a trail truck than the SCX10.3 though. With eh Axial being locked full-time and only having one speed and a DIG, it's a little better in the rough stuff. I'm about 98% certain, though, that the TRX4 will be keeping its 2-speed trans since it's my 13 yr old son's truck and his first 1/10th scale. He's previously had micros and a 1/18th Slick Rock
Old 09-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

The 2-speed in the 10 III borders on vestigial. The difference between high and low is so little that with a high-turn motor, it's barely noticeable. The 10 III is roughly 46:1 in low and 31:1 in high-- compare that to a TRX-4 that's 64:1 in low and 26:1 in high. Basically, the 10 III's low isn't low enough, and the high isn't high enough. As far as dig goes, any is better than none, but of all my dig-equipped rigs, the operation of the dig in the 10 III is "least best."

The Grabbers that come on the 10 III might look more scale, but they don't come close to a "modded" Canyon Trail in terms of performance. Nothing-- and I mean nothing-- beats a cut n' siped Canyon Trail at the pricepoint. Sure, out of the box glued to plastic wheels, on Traxxas basher foams, Canyon Trails are mediocre crawling tires-- but with a little work and some metal beadlocks, they are VERY good.

Lastly, keep the 2-speed for sure-- you can put a cheap, high turn brushed motor in there (a cheap, 3-slot 35T 550 is my favorite for brushed in a TRX-4) to get properly slow crawling speeds in low, but still have enough pep to do dumb stuff in high.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Dude... Unless you just have unlimited funds to blow ( initially and long term) then I don't understand why you're still seemingly in the mindset of wanting to buy several rc's at or around the same time or at least planning what you'll want to do down the line before you've even got your first crawler. IMO Concentrate on just one rig right now. I promise you that as a noob, if you scoop up multiple crawlers you're not doing yourself any favors. Experience the hobby and get to know your first rig, your preferences, the pros and cons, etc. I understand wanting multiple rigs. Most of us obviously have a few but that's after years. I just think you're gonna be wasting money on all kinds of parts and not concentrating on the more rewarding learning/ driving/ having fun part of it if you don't slow down and focus.

Again... discussions are great. It's what the community is here for. But you seriously need to get a better handle on the basics before getting ahead of yourself. Up to you but you can burn thru a ton of money with this stuff if you're not careful. And I'd hate to see you so overwhelmed or overstimulated that you prematurely burn yourself out, which can happen in any aspect of hobbies or even life. Take time to learn, appreciate, enjoy, and reflect as you move forward. Wrenching, fabricating, and solving issues are other very prominent aspects of this hobby and many of us thrive upon that. Slowly and methodically making your rig more capable, more scale-looking, more personalized, etc is part of the fun... much more so than just having all of that straight out of a box. The world of building, modifying, and personalizing crawlers and scale rigs can be therapeutic but you need to absorb it... not come crashing into it like a freight train. If we all had endless funds and just sought to have the biggest baddest do-it-all monster crawler, I assure you that a ton of us would've lost interest in the hobby long ago.

Enjoy the journey. Don't stress over the destination.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:15 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

Quote:
Dude... Unless you just have unlimited funds to blow ( initially and long term) then I don't understand why you're still seemingly in the mindset of wanting to buy several rc's at or around the same time or at least planning what you'll want to do down the line before you've even got your first crawler. IMO Concentrate on just one rig right now. I promise you that as a noob, if you scoop up multiple crawlers you're not doing yourself any favors. Experience the hobby and get to know your first rig, your preferences, the pros and cons, etc. I understand wanting multiple rigs. Most of us obviously have a few but that's after years. I just think you're gonna be wasting money on all kinds of parts and not concentrating on the more rewarding learning/ driving/ having fun part of it if you don't slow down and focus.

Again... discussions are great. It's what the community is here for. But you seriously need to get a better handle on the basics before getting ahead of yourself. Up to you but you can burn thru a ton of money with this stuff if you're not careful. And I'd hate to see you so overwhelmed or overstimulated that you prematurely burn yourself out, which can happen in any aspect of hobbies or even life. Take time to learn, appreciate, enjoy, and reflect as you move forward. Wrenching, fabricating, and solving issues are other very prominent aspects of this hobby and many of us thrive upon that. Slowly and methodically making your rig more capable, more scale-looking, more personalized, etc is part of the fun... much more so than just having all of that straight out of a box. The world of building, modifying, and personalizing crawlers and scale rigs can be therapeutic but you need to absorb it... not come crashing into it like a freight train. If we all had endless funds and just sought to have the biggest baddest do-it-all monster crawler, I assure you that a ton of us would've lost interest in the hobby long ago.

I agree.

Do yourself a favor. Go to Amain Hobbies, put a TRX4 Sport RTR in your cart, enter your credit card info, and buy the dang thing. Don’t even think about it. Just do it.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:00 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:

Very well said and I absolutely agree! My initial question when I started this thread was to see which of the two (SCX10 III and TRX4) would be better for ME if I was to buy only one. As fate would have it, though, my son is old enough to finally get into a 1/10th scale and at least knows some of the basics of how to drive and pick proper lines, although he needed some guidance yesterday when we went out for our first run. I ended up buying both as a way to get both of us up off the couch, him off video games and out of the house. And we had a blast yesterday doing it!

Put both truck through their paces at a decent spot I found on the lake and admittedly the TRX4 exceeded my expectations. My son took every line I took and although maybe had a couple of stuggles (which I attribute to driver inexperience), that TRX4 had me quite impressed. The Axial performed about as I expected and certainly didn't disappoint. But I can definitely see room for improvement. I'd love to relocate the battery up front but I'm not yet certain how to accomplish that. Traxxas did it right and put a battery forward tray on the TRX4, but didn't send a battery strap to hold the battery in. Not a huge issue as they're pretty inexpensive and not exactly in short supply. I'll have to do some research and maybe get creative on how to do the same with the SCX10.3. I'll post a few pics from last night's run shortly.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:35 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Old 09-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I let my son pick which of the two he wanted and he chose the TRX4 2021 Bronco. He thinks it looks better and he likes the 2-speed function that allows him to semi-bash with it when he's not crawling. It's a true trail rig more than it is a crawler but it still holds its own as a crawler. So for his use, the TRX4 is perfect since it's really more versatile than the SCX10.3.

Just FYI, the Axial SCX10.3 uses 1.9 wheels & tires. Might be able to make 2.2s fit but not without some creative cutting.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thank you guys for helping me

shortbus very nice pictures, you are true camera man.
Please take more

Awsome pictures.

The Axial looks so nice.

I did check my local hobbyshop today.

Traxxas TRX4 2speed RTR is in stock.
Also this AXIAL SCX10 III JEEP JT GLADIATOR WITH PORTALS RTR grey/black is in stock.

Axial is 70bucks cheapier here at my local shop.
I can get Hyrax 2.2 Predator tyres and the Axial at same price TRX4

I also like the Axial by it Looks alot better.

I also have extra 2.2 rims bedlock now, they arrived today, 4pc plastic, 4pc Alloy.

Last question.
Why TRX4 ?

I would love to have this Axial.

Anyways i want the best rig, and it needs to be very durable.

TRX4 2speed RTR only stock tyres VS This Axial Gladiator and new extra 4pc 2.2 Hyrax Predator tyres RTR = Same price exactly
What would you choose from these? and why?
2.2 hirax on stock 10.3 will look horribly out of scale and might hinder performance ... might look like the new cheyenne without the lift. I would stick to 4.75 at the most for better looks and fender clearence.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Very well said and I absolutely agree! My initial question when I started this thread was to see which of the two (SCX10 III and TRX4) would be better for ME if I was to buy only one. As fate would have it, though, my son is old enough to finally get into a 1/10th scale and at least knows some of the basics of how to drive and pick proper lines, although he needed some guidance yesterday when we went out for our first run. I ended up buying both as a way to get both of us up off the couch, him off video games and out of the house. And we had a blast yesterday doing it!

Put both truck through their paces at a decent spot I found on the lake and admittedly the TRX4 exceeded my expectations. My son took every line I took and although maybe had a couple of stuggles (which I attribute to driver inexperience), that TRX4 had me quite impressed. The Axial performed about as I expected and certainly didn't disappoint. But I can definitely see room for improvement. I'd love to relocate the battery up front but I'm not yet certain how to accomplish that. Traxxas did it right and put a battery forward tray on the TRX4, but didn't send a battery strap to hold the battery in. Not a huge issue as they're pretty inexpensive and not exactly in short supply. I'll have to do some research and maybe get creative on how to do the same with the SCX10.3. I'll post a few pics from last night's run shortly.
Hey, I just wanted to apologize for the brief derail back there.

Glad to see you're happy with both rigs... and even better, that your boy has an interest in the hobby and that you're able to spend time together doing something you both enjoy. Great pics byw.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey, I just wanted to apologize for the brief derail back there.

Glad to see you're happy with both rigs... and even better, that your boy has an interest in the hobby and that you're able to spend time together doing something you both enjoy. Great pics byw.
No apology necessary. The topic spurred further conversation and created a learning opportunity for someone else....that's a win.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
what are your toughts today about these two rigs ?

You still like the Axial better for Crawling?
Have you done any mods ?

Better ESC ? Better Servo? Other tyres ?
well atleast your doing some research before making your next post

remeber theres no replacement for exsperiance
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10iii gladiator off road crawling #5 Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 09-19-2021 05:30 PM
Scx10iii gladiator off road Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 08-07-2021 12:49 PM
Scx10iii gladiator 4K riverside Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 06-30-2021 01:08 PM
Scx10iii Gladiator Off-road #4 Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 06-04-2021 02:56 PM
Scx10iii gladiator off-road 4K Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 05-29-2021 06:55 AM