Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

So I've been away for a while and may be looking to get back into crawling again. Still have a wraith that I was converting to an original SCX frame but it's been back burnered for some time now. What will likely happen now is the good parts that I have from that will likely make their way to the next thing I get. Which leads me to my question......

I'm sure it's been asked more than a few times and before you say "Use the search function" I've already tried with no good results. So allow me to ask it again.....

If you were getting back into rc crawling which would you choose? TRX4 2021 Bronco or SCX 10.3 Gladiator? Looking for your opinion and reason(s) why.

I'm not opposed to kit builds but would lean a little more toward RTR versions of each just for simplicity and instant gratification. I can always mod later.

SO.....3......2.....1.......GO!!!!!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

TRX4.

Better quality, great out the box, a much more universal platform that you can build into any way your heart desires.

There’s a reason I have 6x TRX4’s and 1x 10/3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeUK View Post
TRX4.

Better quality, great out the box, a much more universal platform that you can build into any way your heart desires.

There’s a reason I have 6x TRX4’s and 1x 10/3

Can you elaborate a little bit? Axial has long toted its ability to be built til your heart's content, too. So what makes the TRX better? Not dismissing your reply at all; just the fact that the TRX is Traxxas' first foray into crawler; whereas, Axial has been manufacturing them for about a decade.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Bottom line is that you can mod both the SCX10iii and the TRX4 to your hearts content. Both platforms have extensive aftermarket support and both platforms are proven in the real world. The only thing I don't like about the SCX10iii is the two piece frame rails. On the flip side I much prefer the lockable on the fly differentials on most models of the TRX4s but that feature does add some complexity to the vehicle which has not proven to be a problem. All said and done I own one SCX10iii and 6 TRX4s. I especially like the new clipless body mount system that Traxxas designed for the 2021 Bronco, I suspect we will see Traxxas continue to use that system in the future.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-17-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Honestly they’re not even comparable.. 13.9” wheelbase to 12.3”
There’s nothing wrong with the trx4 platform. But they haven’t changed much.. well at all since they came out. Pretty typical Traxxas. But that doesn’t make it bad. I’ve owne about 5 10.3’s and 4 or 5 trx4’s and the only one I still own is my gladiator

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i vote for option 3 rebuild the wraith with modern parts

in my opinion the difference between the trx4 and the scx10.3 is
ones made by traxxaasss and ones made by axial
build the wraith
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Bottom line is that you can mod both the SCX10iii and the TRX4 to your hearts content. Both platforms have extensive aftermarket support and both platforms are proven in the real world. The only thing I don't like about the SCX10iii is the two piece frame rails. On the flip side I much prefer the lockable on the fly differentials on most models of the TRX4s but that feature does add some complexity to the vehicle which has not proven to be a problem. All said and done I own one SCX10iii and 6 TRX4s. I especially like the new body mount system that Traxxas designed for the 2021 Bronco, I suspect we will see Traxxas continue to use that system in the future.
Doesn't the two-piece frame rail come in handy if you decide to go with a shorter wheelbase body though? Wasn't that the point? It does definitely say something that you (and others) have 6 of one and 1 of another though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Honestly they’re not even comparable.. 13.9” wheelbase to 12.3”
There’s nothing wrong with the trx4 platform. But they haven’t changed much.. well at all since they came out. Pretty typical Traxxas. But that doesn’t make it bad. I’ve owne about 5 10.3’s and 4 or 5 trx4’s and the only one I still own is my gladiator

That's one thing that did get my attention, especially in some of the shootout vids I saw on the Tube. The 10.3 Gladiator had an easy time on some obstacles because of the longer wheelbase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i vote for option 3 rebuild the wraith with modern parts

in my opinion the difference between the trx4 and the scx10.3 is
ones made by traxxaasss and ones made by axial
build the wraith
Option 3 is definitely on the table, but I want something more along the lines of a scaler. I may just put the Wraith back together and run it the way it was before I ripped it apart. It has some fairly decent parts in it that I probably wouldn't update. Stock electronics are all gone and replaced with an MMP ESC, Tekin Pro4 3300 sensored, hell I don't even remember what else. Even the original radio & RX have been replaced. So it's got good bones, but there are definitely still upgrades needed. Don't know if they're still a thing but beef tubes in the axles, better trusses, etc. Just stuff to make it more indestructable. Here's a pic of the last time I had it out before ripping it apart.

Maybe I can actually have the best of both worlds. Whatever I decide to get, I have to get 2 because it'll be something for me and my son to do. He's had a Slickrock and an SCX24 so he's somewhat familiar with crawling. I'm thinking it's time to get him into something bigger at this point. So maybe I get one of each and then we can trade off. I'm thinking both will eventually go sensored brushless but maybe not. Seems some of the brushed motors out there now are quite good (thinking Holmes Hobby) so I may just stck with that, but who knows?
Old 08-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i would pull the mmp out and upgrade it to a mamba x so much better than the mmp the motor will work but its still a old design
the wraith is pretty scale it looks alot like the full sized version but i get it buggies are only cool if everyone else is running one too

for what its worth i have over a dozen axials and 1 trx4 most of my rigs are complete custom build and axial has way more options for custom build while traxxasss only has one crawler platform to build off of
axial has 6 differnt width axles for larger builds and alot more trans options to choose from
and alot more chassie options so it makes a better option for large scale rigs
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
So I've been away for a while and may be looking to get back into crawling again. Still have a wraith that I was converting to an original SCX frame but it's been back burnered for some time now. What will likely happen now is the good parts that I have from that will likely make their way to the next thing I get. Which leads me to my question......

I'm sure it's been asked more than a few times and before you say "Use the search function" I've already tried with no good results. So allow me to ask it again.....

If you were getting back into rc crawling which would you choose? TRX4 2021 Bronco or SCX 10.3 Gladiator? Looking for your opinion and reason(s) why.

I'm not opposed to kit builds but would lean a little more toward RTR versions of each just for simplicity and instant gratification. I can always mod later.

SO.....3......2.....1.......GO!!!!!
The axles are stronger on the TRX. Some do have problems with the life span of TRX mini servos but they work until they don't. It seems many have issues with the dig setup working at all or at least consistently on the Axial.

The axial is just sooooo looooong.

If you think TRX bodies are too heavy, wait to you pickup that axial body.

Between those two choices I wouldn't even consider that Axial. I have nothing at all against Axial and not a fan boy of the Traxxas but from what I seen I don't like THAT Axial.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-03-2022 at 07:37 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The axles are stronger on the TRX. Some do have problems with the life span of TRX mini servos but they work until they don't. It seems many have issues with the dig setup working at all or at least consistently on the Axial.

The axial is just sooooo looooong.

If you think TRX bodies are too heavy, wait to you pickup that axial body.

Between those two choices I wouldn't even consider that Axial. I have nothing at all against Axial and not a fan boy of the Traxxas but from what I seen I don't like THAT Axial.

The gladiator being that Long is exactly why I wanted it myself. And the body isn’t that heavy compared to say the trx defender or even the new 21 bronco with the new mounting system. Compared to a sport.. sure.
But like I said earlier.. you’re comparing apples to oranges here. They’re not in the same category in my opinion.
If you were comparing the 10.3 jlu to the trx.. well then that would be a closer comparison.
My vote is still for the gladiator because well 13.9” never hurt no one

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
....because well 13.9” never hurt no one

That's not what she said
Old 08-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The gladiator being that Long is exactly why I wanted it myself. And the body isn’t that heavy compared to say the trx defender or even the new 21 bronco with the new mounting system. Compared to a sport.. sure.
But like I said earlier.. you’re comparing apples to oranges here. They’re not in the same category in my opinion.
If you were comparing the 10.3 jlu to the trx.. well then that would be a closer comparison.
My vote is still for the gladiator because well 13.9” never hurt no one

The OP was comparing them. If you want the longer wheel base that the Axial may be the right choice. It might have been the JLU body that was heavier.

The axial digs that I have seen don't always work that great. The TRX lockers always work. They are different features so may not be comparable but something that I have noticed. I have not seen allot of TRX axles break but I have seen AR45s break. I have Axial stuff and I like it but the that one just doesn't appeal to me. In general maybe an axial based
for comp but I wouldn't trust that dig and the wheel base is too long. In general a TRX for Trail.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-03-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
The OP was comparing them. If you want the longer wheel base that the Axial may be the right choice. It might have been the JLU body that was heavier.

The axial digs that I have seen don't always work that great. The TRX lockers always work. They are different features so may not be comparable but something that I have noticed. I have not seen allot of TRX axles break but I have seen AR45s break. I have Axial stuff and I like it but the that one just doesn't appeal to me. In general maybe an axial based
for comp but I wouldn't trust that dig and the wheel base is too long. In general a TRX for Trail.
Actually the longer wheelbase would theoretically make the 10.3 a better crawler. THe downside would be the turn radius, which videos I've seen show it to be not that great. But that's where the DIG comes in. But you are correct regarding Axial axles....in past rigs I've had they've been a bit weak. But nothing a set of Beef Tubes inner sleeves can't fix.

I think the solution to the conundrum, though, is just to pick up one of each and compare. I had planned on buying two rigs anyway so my son and I can enjoy them together so why not? And of course neither will stay in its factory RTR form anyway. SO might be a good comparison.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Actually the longer wheelbase would theoretically make the 10.3 a better crawler. THe downside would be the turn radius, which videos I've seen show it to be not that great. But that's where the DIG comes in. But you are correct regarding Axial axles....in past rigs I've had they've been a bit weak. But nothing a set of Beef Tubes inner sleeves can't fix.

I think the solution to the conundrum, though, is just to pick up one of each and compare. I had planned on buying two rigs anyway so my son and I can enjoy them together so why not? And of course neither will stay in its factory RTR form anyway. SO might be a good comparison.
Longer wheel base can be better for climbing but worse for break over. They maybe more stable on certain obstacles but unable to maneuver though another. It is not possible to say one is better than the other, it is all about trade offs.

BUT your "solution to the conundrum" is about as good of a solution as there can be. The trade off is how empty you wallet will feel afterwards.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Actually the longer wheelbase would theoretically make the 10.3 a better crawler.
This could be true, except for the fact that the 10 III is a trail truck that can do a bit of crawling. To get a 10 III to the capability of a box-stock TRX-4 Sport, you're going to dump enough money into the Axial to buy a second Sport.

If the choice is between a 10 III (any flavor) or a TRX-4, I'll take the TRX-4 every time.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
This could be true, except for the fact that the 10 III is a trail truck that can do a bit of crawling. To get a 10 III to the capability of a box-stock TRX-4 Sport, you're going to dump enough money into the Axial to buy a second Sport.

If the choice is between a 10 III (any flavor) or a TRX-4, I'll take the TRX-4 every time.
I was't considering a TRX-4 Sport but please elaborate. What makes the TRX-4 Sport better?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator

Quote:
I was't considering a TRX-4 Sport but please elaborate. What makes the TRX-4 Sport better?

Lighter body, no unlocking diffs and single speed transmission. And the kit is only $299.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not better, different. The locking diffs will make it more maneuverable but ad almost 2 ounces of sprung weight. The two speed is great for speed but adds an ounce or two of sprung weight. Between the locking diffs and the 2sped that could be close to a 1/4 pound which is allot if you crawl. I did keep the rear locker on my TRX build but dumped the 2 speed and front locker. All TRX bodies are all to big and heavy as far as performance goes but the sport is probably the lightest.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not better, different. The locking diffs will make it more maneuverable but ad almost 2 ounces of sprung weight. The two speed is great for speed but adds an ounce or two of sprung weight. Between the locking diffs and the 2sped that could be close to a 1/4 pound which is allot if you crawl. I did keep the rear locker on my TRX build but dumped the 2 speed and front locker. All TRX bodies are all to big and heavy as far as performance goes but the sport is probably the lightest.
I hadn't considered the added weight, especialy with having 3 additional servos for lockers and shifting.

As of last night, the plan is to get a TRX-4 2021 Bronco for my kid and I'll pick up the SCX10.3 Gladiator. Will run both stock for a while and then make a Christmas wishlist for things like wheels, tires, brass components, better steering servos, etc.

So thank you to all who provided feedback. I truly appreciate it and hopefully here soon will have buidl threads for both.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 or SCX10iii Gladiator - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10iii gladiator off road crawling #5 Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 09-19-2021 05:30 PM
Scx10iii gladiator off road Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 08-07-2021 12:49 PM
Scx10iii gladiator 4K riverside Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 06-30-2021 01:08 PM
Scx10iii Gladiator Off-road #4 Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 06-04-2021 02:56 PM
Scx10iii gladiator off-road 4K Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 05-29-2021 06:55 AM