Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Would You Change Brands if building a New Rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #1

Default Would You Change Brands if building a New Rig?

Im Talking Kits here, not RTR.
Example: Say you already have an Axial 10.2....and you wanted to build another crawler. Would you stick with Axial, or go with another Manufacturer?
Say,,,,Losi,,,,or Associated?,,,, Maybe Vanquish?......Traxxas?....something else? Which way would you go, and why?
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2022, 11:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Would You Change Brands if building a New Rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
Im Talking Kits here, not RTR.

Example: Say you already have an Axial 10.2....and you wanted to build another crawler. Would you stick with Axial, or go with another Manufacturer?

Say,,,,Losi,,,,or Associated?,,,, Maybe Vanquish?......Traxxas?....something else? Which way would you go, and why?
I would buy something else to switch things up. Compare performance, pros and cons first hand etc. I sorta took this route with my build spree. My first official kit build was the Element Gatekeeper as it was a good deal at $230 (actually built a GSpeed chassis before a true kit). Other kits I've purchased afterwards were the SSD Trail King, MST CFX-W, and a TRX4.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I guess the answer would be what you wanted to do with your new kit. Would it be a shelf queen, on road, off road, basher.... To answer the question I want to get an Element and make an Ecto, I just love the look it has but just haven't been able to justify the price( edit: the price it'd cost me to build it how I like), on the on road side I forget where I seen it but they apparently have Formula 1 cars, would never put anything in it I'd just want the frame and body to look at.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

mozt of my rigs are axial bassed rigs but only because they have the best aftermarket options traxxass is a close second
and since i peice build most of my rigs they usualy become a missmatch of brands and aftermarket parts
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

While similar different kits have different drawbacks, but different benefits as well.
Go for it.

Last edited by Timmahh; 10-03-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm always up to try something new, acknowledging that most things out there with a 3-gear were at least inspired by the 10.2. I don't yet own a Cross or anything GMade, so I might go that way in the near future.

If you like 10.2, try an Element. A variation on the theme.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I'm always up to try something new, acknowledging that most things out there with a 3-gear were at least inspired by the 10.2. I don't yet own a Cross or anything GMade, so I might go that way in the near future.

the rc10/team assosiated used a 3 gear trans back in the 80s long before axial was thought of

its vary comin in the buggie world axial just stole it locked it and ran with it

the eliment is the crawler division of team assosiated so while axial is older than element the 3 gear was designed by elements parent company long before axial was thought of

and now that i think about it the grashopper uses a vary similar design thats even older than team assosiated

Last edited by ferp420; 10-03-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The only thing the Grasshopper/Hornet gearbox shares in common with the original AE Stealth is that they both have three gears in them.
Try as you may, no one is going to successfully patent a series of three gears-- just change a tooth here or there and you have something different--
Like how the original 3-gear Stealth is 2.65, the SCX10 is 2.6, and the Traxxas Magnum is 2.72. The same thing, while all being slightly not the same thing.
No one is out here re-inventing the wheel. They might be putting more bells and whistles on it, and making it unnecessarily complicated,
but (almost) everybody is still just doing the same thing. Not the weirdos over at MST, though.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only thing the Grasshopper/Hornet gearbox shares in common with the original AE Stealth is that they both have three gears in them.
ya know they do all have 3 gears the grasshopper being way ahead of the others

the people at team assosiated probably got the idea from building there grasshoppers
Old 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't change brands after owning most of the out there.

Axial is top dog for a reason and all the good stuff out there is based on their designs whether they're their own or "borrowed" from others.

I build rigs from parts, usually starting with axles and and a chassis, going from there.

Traxxas makes a solid rig in the trx4, they're a great choice. I still have one and it's been my worst treated and most reliable rigs. But for competition I use axial based rides.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ya know they do all have 3 gears the grasshopper being way ahead of the others

the people at team assosiated probably got the idea from building there grasshoppers
The Grasshopper came out in 1984, just like the OG gold-pan RC10 (and the Hornet.). The Frog was 1983, and the 3-gear arrangement that most likely got copied over and over is the Kyosho Scorpion, designed by Akira Kogawa in 1981 and released in 1982. The RC10 was the US answer to the Scorpion.

Kogawa would later design the Optima, and mush later the Baja 5B. My first ever hobby-grade RC was bought brand new in the year of it's release, a 1986 Kyosho Ultima-- which only had two of it's three gears inside the housing. Back when ALL the gears were plastic.

What I don't remember is when AE stopped using the original 6-gear trans and replaced it with the 3-gear "Stealth." The gold pan I had for a short time at the end of the '80s had the Stealth.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm in agreement with Goos3. The question is 'simple'...but, there's NO 'simple' answer. The brand that might be your "favorite" might not make a vehicle type you want. Axial, for example, makes great crawler, and other off-road, kits...but, if you want a buggy, you're certainly not going to find one made by Axial. Even if you're wanting another vehicle (say, a 4WD SCT, as y already have a RWD SCT) made by your 'favorite' (say, TLR or AE), you could get one from the same company...or, you might want to try a higher 'grade' kit from the likes of Tekno or XRAY.

When I first got into off-road racing, I started with a TLR. After my third TLR, I figured I would always be sticking with TLR. However, after 1.5 seasons with my TLR 22 5.0 DC, I decided to give XRAY a shot...and, I love it even more then the TLR. Then, I decided I wanted to add a 4WD buggy to my garage. Instead of another TLR or XRAY, the owner of my primary LHS (a nationally & world-ranked racer, himself) suggested the AE B74.

The point is, sometimes, there ARE valid reasons for sticking work a particular brand (especially is you're sponsored by that brand)...but, at times, there are also valid reasons for going with a different brand. Yes, there are many different varieties of apples (or oranges) out there...but, there are also so many other types of fruit. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel like eating a kiwi.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Grasshopper came out in 1984, just like the OG gold-pan RC10 (and the Hornet.). The Frog was 1983, and the 3-gear arrangement that most likely got copied over and over is the Kyosho Scorpion, designed by Akira Kogawa in 1981 and released in 1982. The RC10 was the US answer to the Scorpion.

Kogawa would later design the Optima, and mush later the Baja 5B. My first ever hobby-grade RC was bought brand new in the year of it's release, a 1986 Kyosho Ultima-- which only had two of it's three gears inside the housing. Back when ALL the gears were plastic.

What I don't remember is when AE stopped using the original 6-gear trans and replaced it with the 3-gear "Stealth." The gold pan I had for a short time at the end of the '80s had the Stealth.
right so how are all 3 gear trans inzpired by the axial 10.2

sorry i have my rc history alittle off i was going by memory not google lol

Last edited by ferp420; 10-03-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Because I'm not an obnoxious pedant that thinks that brands making rock crawlers with 3-gear transmissions are looking at old assembly manuals from vintage RC10s or Tamiya Grasshoppers.

If you're gonna clone a crawler, you choose a crawler to clone. Saying that a Redcat is inspired by an RC10 isn't just ridiculous, it's asinine.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Because I'm not an obnoxious pedant that thinks that brands making rock crawlers with 3-gear transmissions are looking at old assembly manuals from vintage RC10s or Tamiya Grasshoppers.

If you're gonna clone a crawler, you choose a crawler to clone. Saying that a Redcat is inspired by an RC10 isn't just ridiculous, it's asinine.
you lozt me there

but if you want a crawler referance the axial ax10 used axials 3 gear trans long befor the scx10.1 or 10.2 came out

the 3 gear trans is also refered to as the ax10 transmission

im just saying the 3 gear trans has been out since the mid 70s made by sevaral differnt companys

and if you think one company isent loking at what the others are doing

well ill just leave it at that

i dont know when the last time you had a grasshopper gear box taken apart next to a axial 3 gear taken apart inside they look alot alike

you could also take a rc10 trans and mount it to a skid plate and use it for a crawler just like you could take a axial trans and use it on a rc10 its just a matter of mounting holes lining up or drilling new holes

Last edited by ferp420; 10-04-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Personally I'd try something new. I have 3 element rigs. A Knightrunner and 2 gatekeeper kits (neither use the cage though), one of which is IFS. Trying to decide what kit I want next. Likely going axial because of the fitment compatibility with element, allows me to start playing with mix and match.

Will own a trx4 at some point soonish, probably pick up the new bigger version for a body I have waiting for a rig to go under it.

Quote:

You've never been in any other RC I gather.3 gear transmissions have been the staple for offroad RC long before rock crawlers became and idea. Well not just offroad but offroad has always been at least a 3 gear since the 80s.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tigris99; 10-04-2022 at 11:13 AM.
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I would buy this if it were something Toyota, like a FJ60. Or even their licensed TRD Tacoma. But $260 for a nice licensed bodied kit, seems like a budget deal to me.

https://carisma-shop.com/products/sc...custom-kit-2-1
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Jesus christ people, learn to infer. Or read. Just try starting off with reading. I bought a Kyosho Ultima with lawn mowing money in 1986. If I'm new to anything, it's new to rock crawlers. I'd never owned anything with a live axle prior to buying a TRX-4.
So let me try to spell it out as slowly as possible so as not to confuse anyone:

When a company is making a crawler, few of them stray very far from a typical 3-gear trans on a skid with c-channel rails. This is "the formula." if you look at most crawlers, they took heavy... "inspiration" from the SCX10. Not from 35-year-old buggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Likely going axial because of the fitment compatibility with element, allows me to start playing with mix and match.
I don't know what this means, exactly. You're not putting Axial gears inside anything Element and vice-versa. Different axles. C-hubs and knuckles are real close, but not the same. Skids and mounts are different widths. Chassis holes are in different places, shock towers are different geometries, everything is just different enough.

Common parts? Shocks and driveshafts is about it. No, I don't count links, as a threaded metal rod is a threaded metal rod. I use whatever link that fits on whatever rig I'm building.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

My current kits consist of: 3 TRX4 rigs, 2 Axials, 4 Gmades, 1 Cross, 1 Element, 1 MST, and 1 Hobby(something). I like having different brands and different models. The enjoyment for me is having a different experience each time I drive a different rig.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Jesus christ people, .
sorry dude i dident mean to start a poop storm

Would You Change Brands if building a New Rig? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comp rig rules change? cmyers1 South Carolina 2 12-29-2012 10:16 PM
Can we get a new forum in scale rig brands for the venom safari creeper? Thumpingbeetle Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 09-24-2012 12:45 AM
Building a new rig SOON shierkahn General Scale Talk 0 08-21-2009 08:59 AM
building my first rig customcrawlerX Newbie General 9 07-25-2009 12:36 PM
Building very first rig, many ?'s! browncow75 Newbie General 1 08-30-2008 06:35 AM