Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rock Pirates Interceptor Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rock Pirates Interceptor Chassis

Picked up one of the Rock Pirate Interceptor Chassis to refresh/rebuild my well beat up SCX10.2 XJ Kit:

https://rockpiratesrc.com/products/i...-free-shipping

I also got their Servo/Winch tray which they recommend for the 10.2 platform. As well as their body mounts and crossmembers.

News to me, after much trying and not wanting to try and drill holes, this chassis does not work with the SCX10.2 kit trans. After emailing them its pretty much "Sorry about your luck, we run and recommend the 3 gear transmission."

Ok...

So I scrapped a roller Wraith for the trans, found the transmission crossmember/skid that works with a 3 gear trans in the parts bin. (This was included with the kit btw)

And now here I am...I completely tore this thing back apart last night in a bout of frustration. I've built this thing 3 or 4 times trying to get things right. Driveshafts were at a horrible angle left to right, ok rotated skid/trans mount to try and more center the drive shafts. That worked, but the rear upper links rub the drive shaft. Tried other mounting options and still no luck. Either the driveshafts are at a bad angle and the links are good, or the links are terrible and the driveshafts are better. Also the upper front link is brutal to install. Its impossible to use a 550 can motor, it barely works with the 540 cans. Even with the 540 can, you cant put a m3 lock nut on the bolt.

Has anyone on here built this chassis? I've been watching as many videos I can find and using their pictures on the website to make sure I am building this correctly but I am at a loss now.

Is the RTR 10.2 Skid/trans mount different than what comes with my kit? Is the 3 gear trans in the 10.2 RTR different than a Wraith?

Really want this build to work but I don't want to be buying more parts to throw at it that aren't going to solve the issues I have.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rock Pirates Interceptor Chassis

I have the Interceptor rails for an Element V2 kit though. But I didn't use the stock trans or skid so I had to rework that on my own which wasn't an issue to me as it was expected.

Is there any chance you can lower the trans by doing some trimming so you have the proper driveshaft angles?
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If memory serves me right, n i could be wrong, but i think the 10.2 3 gear is different than the wraith 3 gear. The wraith 3 gear i have has a bigger section on the back side for the 2 speed option. The 10.2 trans doesnt have the 2 speed optional trans. So that could be causing your link issue. Ill get a pic posted up here in a few of the wraith trans i have
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The trans with the motor is the 10.2, the other is the wraith trans

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

"The Interceptor Chassis is designed to allow Axial SCX10-II, Axial Base Camp or Element builder kits" - those kits all use the three gear transmission (Except the Element, but that's another story). I knew it by reading it, but a distinct heads up would be helpful.

Indybama is correct, the Wraith trans is thicker than the SCX trans by a lot. It houses the dig unit inside and is what is creating the mounting issues. A standard 3 gear trans will fix the issue, takeoffs and cheap chinese versions are all over ebay. Uses the same skid you have, AXIC3379, with the 4 holes on the same side. The Wraith and standard 3 gear have the same mounts on the bottom.

Good luck with the build
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bummer that you’re having problems with your build. I’m using one of these no-name three-gear transmissions from eBay to good effect. It’s hauling around my fairly heavy custom 6 x 6 build with no issues.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/31403905846...Bk9SR-DCyY37YA
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok that makes sense. The dig unit on the Wraith trans.

The issue with the driveshafts is not the angle up and down but how its left and right as the axles are centered in the rear, and I have the SSD housings for the front which makes the front off center compared to a stock front axle.

Im looking into the Element Stealth trans. I would prefer that over buying an scx10 lcx trans. It has options for overdrive in the $56 package for the whole transmission.

Thanks for the tips and motivation. Ill keep this build moving forward
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Pirates Interceptor Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build! Goro Majima 1.9 Scale Rigs 38 11-14-2023 02:23 PM
Somalia Pirates rockn Chit Chat 38 02-24-2011 06:49 AM
Pirates of the (mini) Rubicon Creek Crawler General Crawlers 4 01-17-2006 06:44 PM