Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lcg 101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #1

Default Lcg 101

Hello guys
As a newbie I have a lot of questions and my search in the archives show no results
I would like to build a LCG rig using what I can out of my AX10 Scorpion but I realized I do not even understand what is behind a LCG rig
Could anyone point me a place to start looking for the info I need
My fantasy is to find a chassis template and duplicated in aluminum, fabricate the links and find the parts need it to complete it
But I shold know and understand what I am looking for
TIA
Oldyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lcg 101

i will explain it as i understand it a lcg or low center of gravity chassie just lowers the transmission and these days there angleing the skid plqte mount to kinda make up for the lower clearance
its basicly a comp chassie for a scale crawler
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

Thanks ferp420
My goal is some update of my very high center of gravity AX10 I found here in the forum a free chassis template I will start with
Old 08-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyoung View Post
Thanks ferp420
My goal is some update of my very high center of gravity AX10 I found here in the forum a free chassis template I will start with
i just cut some rails out of a cutting board basicly a trx4 but the skid area was angled back too the rails
gen7 super secret service build

i found these they look like a good design to copy https://www.ebay.com/itm/33447602406...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by ferp420; 08-08-2022 at 08:56 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i just cut some rails out of a cutting board basicly a trx4 but the skid area was angled back too the rails
gen7 super secret service build
Nice project very inspiring
Old 08-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

LCG is low center of gravity. Some say by sitting your chassis low like a belly dragger.

For me it is Less Center of Gravity. I still want clearance. I am going to mount everything as low as I can but I work hard on reducing all the weight possible above the axles. I want clearance as well as a controllable staple setup.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

This is a good topic starter. Low center of gravity allows our builds to tackle terrain with better results from improved stability. My personal goals when planning out a build is to keep the weight up high as low as possible. I build hardbody scale rigs and offset the upper weight from the body and interior with brass knuckles, and rear brass fixed drums. SSD provides the ones I like. I combine those with aluminum chubs and steel axle tubes if available for the axles. Hardened gears and heavy spools help the cause. This is where my axle weight typically ends. I don’t like to add excessive brass parts. Yes you can make them way to heavy IMO. Next is proper suspension set ups. The suspension components need to play nicely together throughout the suspension movement. The weight of the body is controlled by a nice sub 90mm shock. I prefer the Traxxas BB aluminum body paired with Dravtech springs or just go Drav shocks. They offer the short and now the super short versions. I like the super short in the rear of pickup truck builds that before required cantilever or goofy angles to maintain the full bed floor. We can talk all day about this. My point. You can achieve a low cog in any build essentially. It takes planning and placement. Sometimes switching up bulky electronics help to. Good topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Chassis rails aren't going to determine center of gravity. Some aftermarket can improve it slightly but most of it comes down to 3 things. Chassis is more for geometry than anything. Don't need a fancy chassis to build something with low center of gravity that performs awesome.

Unsprung weight which is axles, tires etc.

Spring weight which is supported by the springs/shocks.

How far above the axles the sprung weight is.

Step 1, keep weight of things that are attached to the frame low.

Step 2, since things like the transmission and motor are heavy no matter what, make sure they are mounted as low in the Frame as possible. Servo if you can go on the axle, do it as that will be a heavy part that's mounted very high if it stays on the frame.

Step 3, set up suspension so assembled frame sits closer to the axles. Good point of reference (tune to liking) is axle pumpkins even with the transmission skid.

After that's done, you can add bits of brass parts to the axles to help with further lowering the COG. But don't go crazy. Find the spot where the front is heavy enough to help pull the rig over the top and you can sidehill at a really steep angle but you aren't too heavy or light that climbing and descending becomes a bigger traction issue than it needs to be.

Could go on for days because that's the first part, suspension set up from the shocks to links and angles of everything can make or break performance in the best built rig. I'm far from an expert, I understand the concepts. Putting them into practice on a build because 1 change can effect 10 other things.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:51 PM   #9

Great info. I'm thinking of building a belly dragged or LCG. Any chassis recommendations? I know of G speed, what else is there?
bmxbryant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbryant09 View Post
Great info. I'm thinking of building a belly dragged or LCG. Any chassis recommendations? I know of G speed, what else is there?
There's a ton out there. I've started out with GSpeed but ones I have been personally recommended recently are IERC Merge, Corrupt Carbon Works, Brazin, Exo, & Negative G.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
There's a ton out there. I've started out with GSpeed but ones I have been personally recommended recently are IERC Merge, Corrupt Carbon Works, Brazin, Exo, & Negative G.
Thanks for the response. I'll definitely check out some of these
bmxbryant09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lcg 101 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCG?’s P-Cubed Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 4 03-28-2022 08:55 AM
LCG?’s P-Cubed Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 14 03-23-2022 11:42 PM
Method 101 Mitchell72 Axial SCX-10 1 05-16-2015 08:02 PM
Lr 101 JN80 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 11-05-2014 02:09 PM