Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for ultimate kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Looking for ultimate kit

I am looking for a new crawler kit.

Price is not a concern ( no I’m not rich I just want to be happy)

Wants

1. Multi speed trans

2. Locking/unlocking diffs (front & rear)

3. Dig

4. Newer release (not year of body e.g. 2021 bronco) but something like axial scx 10 pro.

5. Can hold or can buy a battery tray for decent size batteries.

6. I want scale truck not a cage.

7. Hard body would be cool.

8. Is very capable I want to be able to go anywhere my son will me able to go in our super hopped up TRX-4 sport.
pchiumiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2023, 12:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Looking for ultimate kit

The 10.3 box is the only one I can think of with 2-speed and dig, and that gearbox is terrible. I'm pretty sure no rig exists that checks all of those boxes.
So you're going to have to build it. You can get an Amazon gearbox that has both 2-speed and dig-- https://amzn.to/3o6jecc
For axles, I'd say TRX-4, as they're the tankiest option-- about $120 for the pair from Jenny's. That covers #1-3. The rest is entirely up to you.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

just hold out alittle longer someone will make that rig some day
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchiumiento View Post
I am looking for a new crawler kit.

Price is not a concern ( no I’m not rich I just want to be happy)

Wants

1. Multi speed trans

2. Locking/unlocking diffs (front & rear)

3. Dig

4. Newer release (not year of body e.g. 2021 bronco) but something like axial scx 10 pro.

5. Can hold or can buy a battery tray for decent size batteries.

6. I want scale truck not a cage.

7. Hard body would be cool.

8. Is very capable I want to be able to go anywhere my son will me able to go in our super hopped up TRX-4 sport.

Why not get a trx4 kit?
Sure its older but it handles all of your requests Except the dig, and reality the latest and greatest isn't always.

Another option is the vs410 Pheonix kit everything except the 2 speed and unlocking diffs....

The reality is I have never used unlocking diffs but have ran with a few trx4's and I really do not see an advantage. The more complicated you build a truck the more there is to go wrong, and the less time I end up driving my rigs. A simple truck with a good sensored brushless system will be easier to work on, more reliable and be better performing.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I like the scale of being able to lock y 4wd like a real truck. I do think I might try to hold out a little longer. I really like the cross rc at-4 it’sa nice truck. I also like the thought of building it myself but I don’t know if I am that advanced in RC to do that yet. Is it really possible to even build a truck with unlocking diffs a 2 speed trans and dig?

I might seriously try building one. I woods really like it if I had someone to walk me through the build.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Is it really possible to even build a truck with unlocking diffs a 2 speed trans and dig?
10.3 trans and trx4 axles
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
10.3 trans and trx4 axles

I think I’d rather use the China trans the good Dr linked. The 10.3 trans is less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know they can get a bad rap but haven’t had any problems with mine. It is what he is asking for, and the combo has been mentioned a few times. Aside from figuring out where to place the links on a slew of chassis to pick from he would have a rolling chassis.

Last edited by hnoroian; 04-11-2023 at 11:54 PM.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The 10.3 box is the only one I can think of with 2-speed and dig, and that gearbox is terrible. I'm pretty sure no rig exists that checks all of those boxes.
So you're going to have to build it. You can get an Amazon gearbox that has both 2-speed and dig-- https://amzn.to/3o6jecc
For axles, I'd say TRX-4, as they're the tankiest option-- about $120 for the pair from Jenny's. That covers #1-3. The rest is entirely up to you.

Have you run the Amzn 2 speed with dig? Are the ratios close to the scxIII or TRX4?
Ross413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Pick the 3-4 things on your list you want the most and go from there IMO.

Personally I think a 2spd transmission and un/locking diffs are absolutely not needed with any modern kit, and just add unneeded weight and complexity making for a less capable rig.

A nice brushless motor will have more than enough low end control and top end speed to cover all speed needs. the steering angle achievable by rigs like the VS4-10 have an extremely tight turning radius and with dig and/ or overdrive there is no need for unlockable diffs unless that’s just a feature you really want to increase the challenge of driving with a not really 4wd truck.

A VS4-10 portal or straight axle kit will meet the most of your needs. Swap the body for hard body if you wish. The VFD twin with DIG and selectable overdrive along with the steering angle is much more capable and useful than any rig with a 2spd and selectable diffs IMO. But if you really wanted you could set the VFD twin in free wheel dig position and select overdrive and have a foux 2spd for front wheel drive only. Although I’ll say on my vs4-10 kit I’m using the selectable overdrive more than dig. And with a 2700Kv Holmes Hobbies puller pro on 3s I’ve got more than enough wheel speed and no use for a faster speed. And I’ve never once wished it had open diffs.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 04-14-2023 at 10:19 AM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:09 AM   #11

The Cross Rc XT-4 seems to cross a bunch of the different points you would like to get.

As you already own a TRX4, and maybe have some parts and hop ups already, getting a second one could also be a good choice.
bartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I now have bought 2 rigs since this post I have purchased the VS4-10 phoenix kit, & a SCX10 III early bronco edition because it went on sale for $300 (I told my woman this was the deal of a lifetime!). I will be upgrading these rigs to the max like I do with all my rigs. These 2 will probably go a little slower then usual because I now have 2 instead of one and if she sees the prices of it all I'll have to build a new scale house to sleep in.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
(I told my woman this was the deal of a lifetime!).
That’s my go-to as well! She usually gives me the okay, but deep down I don’t think she ever believes my line of crap.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartt View Post
The Cross Rc XT-4 seems to cross a bunch of the different points you would like to get.
Cross has some surprisingly capable crawlers (I do own one) and that XT-4 certainly caught my eye, but as many have said, myself included, is that Cross’ customer service is quite insulting and parts aren’t especially easy to get. That’s a shame because I really like my Cross rig and I’ve since passed on another one of their kits because of these shortcomings.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Cross has some surprisingly capable crawlers (I do own one) and that XT-4 certainly caught my eye, but as many have said, myself included, is that Cross’ customer service is quite insulting and parts aren’t especially easy to get. That’s a shame because I really like my Cross rig and I’ve since passed on another one of their kits because of these shortcomings.
Yeah, the new EMO-X that Cross just released looks pretty sweet to. But my local hobby shop told me that same exact thing about the parts if they break getting them is hard and that’s no good because RC cars break often and if you can’t get parts to repair it then your RC cars no good.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I ended up going with the vanquish VS–4 10 phoenix straight axle kit. I think I’m gonna be super happy with that. I can’t wait to drive it.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:53 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I ended up going with the vanquish VS–4 10 phoenix straight axle kit. I think I’m gonna be super happy with that. I can’t wait to drive it.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Excellent choice. I have the straight axle kit and it is so smooth and so composed. I have the 1800kv Fusion SE on it now along with some Incision wheels mounted on Hyrax G8. Other than that, it is stock. Not planning on doing much else to it other than different bodies in the near future. Enjoy it.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:34 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Yes. Yes. Yes. Excellent choice. I have the straight axle kit and it is so smooth and so composed. I have the 1800kv Fusion SE on it now along with some Incision wheels mounted on Hyrax G8. Other than that, it is stock. Not planning on doing much else to it other than different bodies in the near future. Enjoy it.
I will end up going crazy with this one I can tell you right now! I am def getting some curry.

Tags
build

Looking for ultimate kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Give Away Poison Spyder Custom Ultimate Kit*** Krawler Konceptz General Crawlers 27 06-02-2013 10:28 PM
Ultimate competition kit? mdowney Newbie General 15 07-09-2010 05:28 PM
Ordered my CKRC stage3 ultimate kit Rockthrasher Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 02-05-2008 05:54 PM