Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: spektrum set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default spektrum set up

what's everyone's take on spektrum for comps, building a scx10pro and making it into a C2 rig, no electronics picked out yet, and if i were to do spektrum i'd go all the way and do the motor and esc, batteries and transmitter and receiver, but was just curious how comp friendly the set up is, any input helps, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJ802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2023, 06:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: spektrum set up

I set my spectrum stuff up on the shelf I think it's holding some stickers down
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What flavor of Spektrum are you running?

I use a DX6R for comps, I find it a very versatile rig, but it depends on what you are running as to how you are setting it up.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I set my spectrum stuff up on the shelf I think it's holding some stickers down

and this is why i ask before i buy

Old 11-16-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
What flavor of Spektrum are you running?

I use a DX6R for comps, I find it a very versatile rig, but it depends on what you are running as to how you are setting it up.

the set up is why i would buy all spektrum, because it would make it easier on how it all communicates smoothly together but feel id be missing out on torque and some other key specs

Old 11-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #6
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I don't comp but for surface work my DX5 Pro is a great radio system.

Having said that, it is not a popular choice here in this forum. I'm not sure why - I've only heard cost as a concern.

I'm all for saving money but there are certain things where that may not be the wisest thing to do and I think radio selection is one of them. Just my dos centavos.

Last edited by Ots; 11-17-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i've used them for years, not sure why they get all the hate
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Using one brand for everything isn’t going to make the components communicate with each other any better. Some escs use a specific sensor connection that forces you to buy their motor as well, but that’s the only option in that scenario. Spektrum also uses a battery/esc plug that isn’t the standard that most people use. Switching plugs is easy enough but not sure if that would void any warranty.
I compare this to my job as a contractor. I keep my battery powered tools the same brand to avoid having to carry multiple brands of batteries and chargers, but my other tools consist of many different brands.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Using one brand for everything isn’t going to make the components communicate with each other any better. Some escs use a specific sensor connection that forces you to buy their motor as well, but that’s the only option in that scenario. Spektrum also uses a battery/esc plug that isn’t the standard that most people use. Switching plugs is easy enough but not sure if that would void any warranty.
I compare this to my job as a contractor. I keep my battery powered tools the same brand to avoid having to carry multiple brands of batteries and chargers, but my other tools consist of many different brands.
Well stated!!!

Transmitters are an echo system all to themselves, with little cross-pollination. In other words, Spektum will only work with Spektrum, FlySky will only work with FlySky, Futaba will only work with Futaba, etc... The trick is to find a radio system you like, and you may need to kiss a frog or two to find your radio prince. Once you find something you like, learn as much about it as you can and go with it; if it works for you, and you like it, then it is the right radio system.

I like Futaba radios for their durability, the only radio I think is on par is the Spektrum rugged. But, I find navigating the settings cumbersome and not intuitive at all.

A lot of people swear by FlySky, but I have also see a good number of those same people swear at SlySky. One guy that was in our local club said those of us who spent more money on our radios were idiots for doing so, and that FlySky was the only way to go. In one summer I saw him go through no less than six radios due to internal failure... But, there are others that have had the same radio for years with no issues.
I bought I higher end FlySky 12-channel stick radio for some of my construction equipment. It turned out to be a turd out of the box. But, there is no other stick radio at an affordable price that has the channel count, flexibility, and not stuck in an aircraft mode on the market, so I will likely buy another and hope for the best. (no warranty return, it was over six months between buying it and actually using it).

I have had very good luck with Spetrum radios, and I can get around their menu settings fairly easily. Some RTRs are 'bind-n-drive' to Spetrum radios, which is cool, although I have never bought one. Also, you can get DSM2 RXs for cheap and work very well.

One thing also to look at is who you are going to be running with. Spread spectrum helps a lot with interference, but it does have its limits. At bigger events the Spetrum and FlySky people will have interference issues because of the sheer number of people using those TX/RX systems. So, if you know that the bulk of you club uses FlySky, you might want to go with another brand.

This is my 2-cents on this.

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-21-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

in my opinion spectrum radios are bulky and unbalanced besides they don't fit my hand right
to be honest I don't have much experience with there stuff out side of some older losi rtr stuff but it dident make me warm or fuzzy in any way so I stayed away from there stuff
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I picked up a DX5 Rugged for my scale rigs, it's an ok radio and the Rx are cheap and easy to find. Navigating the menu is frustrating and the radio kinda feels like a toy or a low end RTR controller. If I had to do it again I would get a futaba in the same price range.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

some great input here, thanks for all your replies, some very good points made that i didn't think into enough either that have helped made the direction i'm going to go a lot easier, appreciate it! happy thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I do remember a while back at our local track when the Rugged came out. Almost every crawler guy HAD to have one. Shortly after almost every one of them said they didn’t like the navigation. I got a DX5C because it came with a rig that I bought from a friend and I hate it. Thumb wheel is way too sensitive at times and nonresponsive others. I’m replacing it with a Flysky GT5, which is my preferred radio. I have at least 10 of them.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I've been a Futaba guy for years. IMO, their radios are significantly higher quality and easier for me to work than Spektrum, but I recently decided to switch brands. I see a lot of people running Spektrum DX5Cs and DX5 Ruggeds at the comps I go to. Having a momentary switch located right by your thumb is awesome for winching. Easy one hand operation without running the line in or out too far. Futaba's switches are not momentary. In the heat of a comp when the time is ticking and my truck is hanging precariously on a ledge, that has lead to some screw ups on my part. Most everyone I have spoken with however only likes that aspect of the Spektrum radio and say they hate it otherwise.

My current radio is a Flysky NB4. I really like it, but I still think Spektrums switches on the grip are a better setup for winching. Still trying to get used to these paddles by the wheel. I'm considering buying a Spektrum since they are on sale for a decent price right now. I figure if I dont use it, I should be able to get my $$ back pretty easy.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

ended up going with the the spektrum dx5, appreciate the feedback

Old 12-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have been using a Spektrum Dx5Pro since 2018. Never a moments problem. Maybe I should buy a new radio but this one just keeps working.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:29 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Oddly enough....Spektrum are the only radios that I've ever had problems with, from broken steering wheel springs to problems loosing bind, to short range issues. I've been a Futaba guy since 1985, but I stray every once in awhile
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

spektrum set up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum Dx5 locker set up MODC Traxxas TRX-4 4 06-08-2019 12:42 PM
help setting up spektrum dx6i for a MOA set up gasser55t Electronics 4 02-24-2013 04:41 AM
how to set up spektrum dx3r with novak m2dig help vegas1973 Electronics 1 03-11-2011 07:07 PM
how to set up a spektrum DX3.0 Azcats1 Electronics 5 09-01-2008 01:46 PM